Women: What is the perfect size?

Options

Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just saw an article on Yahoo about how a size 6 may be considered plus size...WTF? I lost 20 lbs. before joining MFP and I am looking to lose about 5-10 more. I am currently 5'8" and I am 140lbs. I consider myself in good shape now, just need to tone up and lose a few extra pounds.

***Before any of you say anything about my weight and being too low...I have a neurological disorder, Muscular Dystrophy - Charcot Marie Tooth, which has taken away most of my calf muscles...so the less I weigh, the easier it is for me to walk. Remember, I have less muscle than most of you because of this disorder....and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat.***

My question to all of you is "What is the perfect size?" Healthy size, that is? I would never have thought that a size 6 would be considered plus size. I am a size 6 right now and am quite thankful for getting myself to this point. But I do not think that this is a plus size!! I was thinking that a size 8-10 is a good size. What are your thoughts?

I believe this is referring to models... God forbid plus sized women might want to know what clothes might look like on THEM!! I am aiming for 14-16!! I like a little meat on the bones!!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I believe this is the article? I'd love to be a size 6 and model "plus size" clothes. Although I have stretch marks and other imperfections that I don't think they photoshop out.

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/did-size-6-become-plus-size-122500787.html
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    At my skinniest, which was 125 lbs being 5'4" I wore a size 4-6 or 7 (U.S.) depending on the brand/store. I'm currently 139lbs and I can fit into size 8s, but some don't fit well yet. I also can fit into one pair of size 7 pants. At 155lbs I bought size 9's when they hardly fit, and only owned one pair of size 11 shorts.

I hope to get back to a 4-6, but I really just want to be fit and once I'm happy with the body I see in the mirror, then I'll be at my perfect size.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ladies, to me the perfect size is whatever you feel most comfortable in. Never let anyone tell you what the "perfect size" is. What makes you happiest and feel the best is Perfect for you!!

What a guy! :flowerforyou:

For me? I ranged anywhere from a 16-20 for most of my 20's and couldn't IMAGINE being in the single digits... I am now a 5/6 (no hips :grumble: ) but I would love to eventually be a 3/4, now that I see it's possible for me!

And thanks for the article link!!! here"s an excerpt...
    "it's all about being the size that's healthy for YOU, not what the fashion and advertising worlds expect you to be."
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    Thank you for starting this topic! I have always thought that all women want to be a size 2 and anyone above that is scorned. I am currently a size 14 (down from a 16, but way up from a 6!) and I am trying to get back down to a 6-10. I really enjoyed being a size 6 or 8 because I could wear jeans and not worry about a muffin top (although I was no where near toned) and I could wear any shirt I wanted. For once in my life I was able to go shopping and buy a shirt right off the rack without worrying about whether it "covered" anything.

Another awesome thing about being a size 6 (I was 145 at 5'4) is that I still kept all my curves. At the time I thought my curves made me "fat" and I wished they'd go away. Now I'd kill for that hourglass shape again! (Okay, maybe just spend some more time on the treadmill).
  • pinching one inch is the perfect size as per Dr Joel Fuhrman Eat to Live
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    For me personally, a size 3 and 4 would be perfect. I wear a 6 now which is alright for me compared to where I was before. When the heck was that considered plus? :laugh:
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ladies, to me the perfect size is whatever you feel most comfortable in. Never let anyone tell you what the "perfect size" is. What makes you happiest and feel the best is Perfect for you!!

What a guy! :flowerforyou:

For me? I ranged anywhere from a 16-20 for most of my 20's and couldn't IMAGINE being in the single digits... I am now a 5/6 (no hips :grumble: ) but I would love to eventually be a 3/4, now that I see it's possible for me!

Thanks :) Just saying what I believe. Some women feel most comfortable being a 2 or 3 others a 12 or 14. Either way if you are happy who cares what random people think or people in Hollywood say.

Now having said that I am done crashing this ladies thread lol
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    OK. So I'm sorry to break the titles preface, even though it's already been done, but I simply wanted to say that size 6 has always been my favorite size among girls I've dated. And beyond that I've dated a few girls who have previously been bulimic and at their smallest sizes they were still a six just because of their hips, so ... the perfect size is interdependent on one's body-type.

To call a six plus-sized, even among models, is grossly disturbing to me.
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy with a size 10 again... i'm a size 16 right now.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Hm, MY perfect size would be around a 10 - 12, I think. Still curvy, but I know that with lifting weights, after I have all of the surgery I assume I'll need in order to get rid of excess skin, I'll be a total vixen. I can not WAIT to be a size 12!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The size 6 reference being plus sized was referring to FASHION MODELS!

The perfect size is whatever size you're comfortable with being.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    8"
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think, for me at least, a 10 would be about perfect and even that may be pushing it. I have never (since I started wearing adult clothes, at least) been below a 12 even when I was 12 [years old]. I think on my frame anything below a 10 would be too thin and make me look sickly since I have a very wide frame. I have linebacker shoulders and wide hips but my waist is actually not all that wide so at least I have the hourglass thing going...sort of.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    That is absolute crazy BS ! (about the size 6)
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know! I've never been anything other than fat as an adult and so have no idea what size I'll end up being when I'm down to my goal weight. I guess, in Australian sizing, I'd like to be a 12 at most (Australian sizing is different, I think your 0 is our... 6? 8? Something like that. Our plus size stores tend to start at 14-16 as a minimum but the plus size section at Kmart starts at 18 or 20. If that gives you a clue.

So having never been anything other than a fat person, I don't know what size fit person is hiding inside me yet. I am really looking forward to finding out tho!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hm, I think that the perfect size for my body would be a size 6 (US size).
    I'm currently a size 10, but am working on getting some fat off my thighs and butt :) I've lost weight off my midriff, but my behind is as large as ever, much to my chagrin, and much to my boyfriend's elation.

I was a size 8 for a while during my high school years, but I was always a little chunky, so maybe when I shed those final 20 pounds or so, I'll be at the fabled size 6.

I'm 5'8-5'9-ish and I weigh 172 lbs right now. I'm hoping to get down to 150, and then re-evaluate.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I could fit into size 4-6 I'd be extremely happy.
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    everyones bodies are so different and i personally have no idea what my ideal size would be, i guess im just gunna have to judge it as i go along. all i know is that i have an old size 8 dress in my closet that i found the other day from when i was younger and im actually pretty sure i DONT want to be able to ever fit into it. based on my specific body (type/frame/whatever its called lol) i dont feel i could look healthy at that size, i feel i would be underweight?