How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    7 years!

i actually posted on here at 6.5 years too....and got lots of response. he proposed on our 7th year anniversary.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    We were friends/ but more co worker-ish for two years before our first date. Got engaged 3 months after our first date. Married 13 months later. Celebrated 14 years married yesterday. You know when it is right. Glad I went with my gut!
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    My husband and I have been married for 9 years. We started dating when I was 15 on New Years Eve. That next Christmas he got me a promise ring and he asked me to marry him. We were not officially engaged until I was 18. We got married a few days after my 20th birthday.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were friends for 3 years before we got engaged. I proposed to her in '95 in a Red Lobster in Minnesota near the Mall of America. We have been married for 17 blessed years.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    2 years. :D
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Two years to the date... Exactly the date...
  • potter315
    potter315 Posts: 15
    Options
    11 months..but waited 3 yrs to get married. My husband was only 20 when we got engaged....I was 22. Got married exactly 4 yrs after or first date...to the date! Just had our 6 yrs anniversary of marriage and 10 yrs together.

Take your time...You will know when the timing is right. It may be right for you but not for him. The LAST thing you want to do is pressure him into an engagement. However, don't wait around for ever! lol
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    We got engaged fifteen months into our relationship and then spent thirty-three months engaged due to my age because I was engaged at 20 years old. I agree with other posters, though, in that nothing ends well when you compare your relationship to other people's relationships. Every couple is unique. However, it may be appropriate for you to discuss with your SO your life goals, especially marriage and children. If you are on the same page on both counts, then don't worry about a schedule and, especially if you love him, don't give him an ultimatum.

As I've said many times I'm not comparing my relationship to others it was just an observation. I know for a fact my relationship is A LOT different than anyone else's. I am not going to give him an ultimatum either because I'm not going to lose the guy I love if he isn't ready yet, and we are on the same page with what we want in life as this has been discussed. I just WANT to be a different place than we are, not because anyone else tells me I should or because I'm comparing my life to anyone elses. I'm ready for next steps because I feel like that is what is best for US. Every relationship has natural progression it should follow, for us to be at the same status of boyfriend and girlfriend as we were when we were 15 seems insane because we're so much different than we were then and our relationship is stronger than that, I feel like our level of committment to each other should reflect that.

I haven't read this entire thread so I may have missed it, but have you told him that? I think a very open discussion would be helpful so he knows how you're feeling. Of course, you shoud tell him to not feel pressured but I think he should know what your thinking is.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    5 months, but we were engaged for 3 1/2 years. This August will be our 6th wedding anniversary, and July 15th, will be 9 years :)
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    our 2 yr anniversary...well 2 weeks after since my ring wasn't ready on time...he was so upset. then we got married 3 months after that. we'll be together 10 yrs this October married 8 in January. ♥
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    3 weeks. But we'd been friends for several years.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One year. He proposed and we got married about 10 months later. In fact, today is our 21st wedding anniversary! :)
  • JBankey
    JBankey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Met. Dated for 7 months, engaged at seven months, married at the two year point, been married 18 years now.
  • kser145
    kser145 Posts: 40
    Options
    A year and a half after our first date. Engaged for 2 years then got married. didn't live together till we got married ( I'm old fashion in that area ).. Been married 30 years to the most amazing man I have ever met... Fall more in love everyday ( if that's possible ).
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    We started dating May 24. I was pregnant by July. He asked me to marry him in August and I said yes, but I was still married to my ex at the time (we were separated - it wasn't a cheating situation). Once my divorce was final in December, three days later he proposed with the ring. We were married 11 days after my divorce was finalized.

Our situation is unique. We've been together almost 8 years.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    4 years - met when we were 17. If you really want to get married; why don't you take the bold step and ask him instead

Exactly! Or at least bring it up if it really bothers you. My husband and I were together for 3 and a half years before we got married. We bought a house together, and my pops being the old fashioned man that he is, said you better get married soon. Well i brought it up to my bf and said hey if we are buying a house together that pretty much means forever. He agreed. still proposed though (epic failure of all time but i love him :)).
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    We met online in May, met in person in July, he proposed in August and we were married in September. The engagement period lasted maybe a month while we sorted everything out, got a copy of my birth certificate, ordered a cake, and all the practical matters.

I never wanted the fuss of a traditional fancy wedding, in fact I had always sworn off marriage altogether. Until I met the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and couldn't live without, that is.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    2 1/2 years before we got engaged. Coming up on 14 years next month:)
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 years. Got married 2 years after that.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    We were never officially engaged or whatever. Just talked about getting married one day. Ended up getting married on our 6 year anniversary.