How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been with my Fiance for 13 years, we were engaged 6 years ago on Valentines day. Still no solid plans of when to marry, a piece of paper just doesn't seem that important to either of us
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Our 4th anniversary. Though we were only 21, we did have a 1.5 year old at the time. We've been together almost 6 years.. and have 2 children. Still not married though. We're plannig a beach wedding in the bahama's in march or april
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    4 years got engaged at 19. 6 months later married
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Umm... :smile: we were together for about a month when we got engaged and a month and a week when we got married. It will be 3 years this November since we got married and we are still as happy as the day we met. :love:
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    About 7 months before we got engaged.

We got married about 6 years later, though. Same as previous poster - the paper wasn't that important. Although sometimes I wish we would have just gone to the courthouse then (which is what we ended up doing), because we'd be having our 9th anniversary here soon instead of our 3rd.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    2 years.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    we were dating 4 months before we were engaged LOL we got married a year later....and we have been married for 11 years now :)
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I was with my husband for 71/2 yrs before he asked me. Once he proposed he could not wait too walk down the isle. 4 mths after he proposed we got married. He planned it. :love:
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    12 years dating. Engaged for 10 days. Been married for 25 years. A total of 37 years and still going strong with my best friend! Be patient. The right time will present itself.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    We were together for 6 years before we got engaged. We've been married for 18 years. :)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1.5 years before we got engaged and then waited 6 months to set the wedding date which was 6 months after that. However, I had been in two other previous long term relationships each for over 1.5 years and they didn't work out. So, long story short, time doesn't necessarily mean anything. It is how each of you feel. Have you talked to your SO about this? How does he feel. Is he ready for the next step? If not, why? Please let me stress, if you feel strongly about taking the next step, please please please talk to your SO about where you both see yourself in 5 years before buying a house together. That is a big financial commitment if one or both of you are not on the same page in your relationship.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    We had been together a year and 9 months when we got engaged and married 6 months later. We've been married for a year and 3 months. Wow, time flies! :)
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    2 years engaged. But he knew he was going to marry me before he could even pronounce my name correctly ^.^
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    3 years
  • BonnieDownie
    Options
    Nearly 2 year. I was 20 when I married my husband....we got engaged when I was 19. We are a few days away from our 6th wedding anniversary and have 3 beautifull children :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    6 1/2 years
  • lowry12
    lowry12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i was with my hubby for 3mo b4 we got engaged and we was together 9mo when we got married will be 3yrs this halloween :)
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    6 months or so. Then about 7 months after that we'll be married :)
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Been married 30 years now, he proposed 4 nights after our first date. We were married eight months later. I still get roses on the anniversary of our first date.

Everyone is different, if you are ready why don't you pop the question?

I love stories like this. :)
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Almost 5 years. I was 29, he 30. We will be engaged for 1.5 years before actually getting married. I personally feel like there is no rush. I love him, I know we are going to spend our lives together, and "the rest of your life" doesn't start the day you get married, it starts now! I'm with who I want to be, and it'll happen eventually. I'm enjoying life in the moment. :O)