How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    just over a year
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well I met my husband @ 19. We were attracted to one another but nothing happened. Fast forward 22 years later we met. It took us a year to get engaged. But that was because of our families. If it was up to us we would have gotten engaged after one month.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have to say that you never really know a person until you actually live together. My boyfriend and I have been dating 2.5yrs, living together a year, and he plans to pop the question in the next year. We're older though, he's 30 and i'm 29. So our window of opp. is kind of small if we want a family. But you're young, don't rush things. Being married is no different than what you have now. Only difference is a piece of paper and a name.
  • bull_dog44
    bull_dog44 Posts: 16
    Options
    2 months...happy together for a year and a half :)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We met in July, got engaged in September and married the following July. We'll celebrate our 25th anniversary this July.

And we were YOUNG...met at 18 and married at 19. Had our son at 21. When it's right...it's right! :love: :bigsmile: :love:
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    14 Years and still waiting to go down the aisle!!!!!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    5 years cause I had lost my job and it took a while to find a new one and save up for a ring, wedding and honeymoon.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    6 months.
    I had gone to Brazil for 6 weeks and not two weeks after I came home, he proposed. I guess leaving the country without them freaks em out a little. Haha! I was expecting him to wait another 5 months until we could go visit his family for Christmas, and get his great grandmother's ring that he was promised. But he bought me one, and then at Christmas I got the family heirloom, as well.

As for buying a house, I would advise against getting into such a complicated financial situation with someone you are not married to, unless you've been filing taxes together as common-law?? If you're wanting to get married, and he us content to just live together, there will be tension in your relationship. Talk to him about it before you commit to buying a house.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started dating my husband at the end of my freshman year, in May of '97. We got engaged at the end of my senior year, or May of 2000. We moved in together in June of 2001, was married in Sept of 2006. Still together <3
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    We were dating for 3 years exactly and living together for 2 1/2 years before we got engaged. Quick I know, but we were both divorced and knew exactly what each of us wanted. The lease was up on his apartment so we figured why not give it a shot? He moved in with me and the rest is history.

We really have no plans to get married anytime soon. Maybe when he's done with residency or we'll just hop a plane to Vegas one day.
  • ksm1976
    ksm1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We were 7.5 years together before we got engaged and I agree with some of the others, you shouldn't go with what everyone else says. We are now married for 3 years and have been together 12 years.
  • callenlee
    callenlee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Met my wife in the fall and got engaged about 1 1/2 weeks after we met. Got married the following summer and will be celebrating our 17th anniversary this summer.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm gonna guess around 2.5 years. We started dating at the beginning of my sophomore year of high school and got engaged at the end of my senior year. So yeah, that sounds about right.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    3 years
  • cdc33
    cdc33 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well Ive been with my SO for 17 years and living together for 10 1/2 years and engaged for 7 years and still not married and am fine with that. I am totally commited to this wonderful man and we really dont need a peice of paper to tell us that we are together. Being married doesnt give you a soild commitment the person your with gives you that. We do talk about marriage but its not like its a huge thing. If you and your s/o are commited to each other and know you want a life together than whatever way it works out will be right for you 2. so I guess the answer to your question is 7 years! :heart:
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    2 years engaged. But he knew he was going to marry me before he could even pronounce my name correctly ^.^

There is SO much more to this story... you should really tell the whole thing. :p
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We were in the same circle of friends for about 5 years before we started dating, dated 3 1/2 years before getting engaged and we are planning to get married 1 1/2 years after getting engaged.
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been with my honey for almost 12 years now. No, we're not engaged and No, I don't want to be. I realize a lot of women expect/want marriage - I'm just not that kind of girl. We got together when we were young (18/17), started as best friends in HS and neither of us are interested in marriage, so for us it works beautifully!
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    4 years after 2 kids, friends for about 6 years first
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    2 yrs & 5 months when we were engaged
    2 yrs & 10 months when we were married, ages 27 (me), 32 (him)

We will be celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary this coming August 26th! :love: