How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was with my fiance for 5 years before getting engaged. I was married once before and we were together for 3 years before getting married (there was no actual proposal).
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Meet my now hubby in 2007 I was 19 he was 21.... dated on n off for 6 months (long distance since hes active duty marine corps).... we got pregnant and he got shipped off to iraq 3 months after we found out we were expecting. I didnt see him agian until November 2008, 2 months after our daughter was born.. So about a year before I saw him again after meeting him, we added up on the "weeks" we spent together never ever more than 2 at a time... we spent maybe 2 whole months time wise before he asked me in December of 2008. We got married in Feb 2009 (yes dates are correct lol)... I just turned 21 and him 23.,..we have been married a little over 3 years now ..and as i believe we r happy :)
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Eh, no one is going to read this now, lol. Such a popular thread!!!

I was 22 when I got engaged to my bf of 5 years, and after almost 2 years of planning, we are FINALLY getting married this September...soooo 7 years in total! (his ring came in the mail yesterday! EEEEEEEEE!!!!!! =D =D =D)

If you feel it's right, sit down and chat with him a bit about it. You never know - he may already be planning something. I know my fiance's brother is going to propose to his girlfriend on their 1 year anniversary. Everyone is different. =) Best of luck to you!
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    5 yrs:yawn:
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    One month of dating, married after two months of dating. Best friends for two years before we started dating. We have been married for 26 years this July. It doesn't matter how long or how short. All that matters is when your right for each other and are both ready for that commitment. That is when it will happen. :flowerforyou:
  • ShaWismer
    ShaWismer Posts: 1
    Options
    We got engaged in 2006 but didn't get married until 2011 - 7 years! I had the same mentality about wanting to be married or at least engaged before we bought a house. When we got engaged, we were both happy, but had a lot of recent changes in our lives that we were both struggling with. If we hadn't waited like we did, we would've been miserable. Waiting those 7 years was the best thing we ever did. We were so happy! Most importantly, we were ready! It was wonderful.
    People gave us a hard time about being engaged for so long, but it didn't bother us. We did what felt right for us and I wouldn't change a thing. Follow your hearts. Do what is right for you.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    14 days. But in all fairness we were best friends for 3 years before we even started dating.. Also were engaged 3 years before we got married. Good luck to you
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    9 months before engaged....1 year before married.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    We were together 2 yrs and 3 months when he popped the question, officially that is since he gave me a promise ring after 2 months but I was only 15 sooooooooo..... Lo. we had already been living together 4 months. I was 17 and he was 19. We've now been happily married 3 years and together almost 7:)
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well, we met very young, ( I was fourteen, he was 15) and by the time I was 16 he flat out told me "I hope you love me, cause I love you and I'm not going anywhere." We got married (eloped, actually) in 2010, I was 20 and we had lived together for two years at that point, and we were engaged 7/1/2009.
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    3 years. I think it would have been longer but I wanted to quit working to go back to school full time and needed health insurance. It'll be 9 years married this August!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    We were together almost 8 months before I proposed to Jem on bended-knee on the observation deck of the Empire State Building.

Actually he didn't actually say yes, more along the lines of "get up you silly bugger, you're blocking the way!"

We got married on the 4th anniversary of the day we met in the real world (we'd known each other online for a good while beforehand).

But I knew I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life after about 3 months together.
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Been married 30 years now, he proposed 4 nights after our first date. We were married eight months later. I still get roses on the anniversary of our first date.

Everyone is different, if you are ready why don't you pop the question?

Love it!
    My husband told me that he was going to marry me a month after we met. It took him that long to convince me to go on a date with him. We were engaged at 3 months and married at a year. We will be celebrating 28 years in July. Our kids are 22 and 20. Life is difficult at times, but a joy as long as we are together :heart:
  • nessa786
    nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I started dating off and on when I was 20 (he was 19, 9 months younger). We moved in together when I was 22. Got engaged a few months later and married when I was 23. November will be our 3 year anniversary married.
    My sister on the other hand started dating someone in April, and they are getting married in August.
    So it all depends on the people in the relationship.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    We were together about 6 months but we have been engaged 5 years now. Lol. Wedding planning had officially gone underway now though.
  • Toot77
    Toot77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Engaged by the end of the first week, married ten weeks after we first met and together now for 35 years ... and no, I was not pregnant. Waited eleven years before we had a child as everyone assumed I must be. The relationship could have gone either way but being married so fast made us work at it as we barely knew each other. I'm not really sure it matters being engaged or married, if the commitment is there, it is there without a ring or official piece of paper.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I understand that you would want to settle down with the man that you love. I hope that you get a marriage proposal very soon.

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 9 months. We are a week short of 9 months, but HE started to talk about marriage after 4 months. It was a good thing that he defined his intentions towards me because I needed to hear that more than I realized. While we are not engaged, we are both very aware that we are getting married. When we pick a date, we will be engaged.

Perhaps this is how your boyfriend feels. That he is going to marry you someday. If he is thinking that, and there is a real good chance of that since you're buying a house together... I hope he speaks up soon.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    friends for 5 1/2 years, after a big fight, we both admitted our feelings and got married a month later :) Couldn't be happier.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Two months before I popped the question. She said no at first, but now we're happily married for almost 4 years, 6 years since we started dating and we have a beautiful daughter!!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    2 Years.