Where to start with lifting heavy?

Options
124»

Replies

• siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Definitely not an expert. However, I was like you and not knowing where to start. I joined a gym and had a personal trainer give me this schedule. Every other day is what I was told. I now have a completely different set of things I do from what I have learned. But this may help for you as a starter because it did for me. I did all of this with dumbbells!

Curls - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Lunges - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Shoulder Press - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Squats - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Skull Crusher - 8lb weight - 3 sets of 15

Chest Flys - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Ball Crunches - 3 sets of 15

Obviously this wasn't heavy weights at first, but the idea is for the routine! :) I did start lifting much heavier! :)

May I ask how long it took you to have an appreciable gain in the weight you could lift?
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been doing Starting Strength for the past 10 weeks and have made amazing progress. You can't go wrong with SS or SL's as novice programs. I've heard great things about the New Rules of Lifting for Women as well.

Oh, and Fitocracy has some superb groups to help support these endeavors. Don't hate! :o)
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.
    Best response so far. These are the 3.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Definitely not an expert. However, I was like you and not knowing where to start. I joined a gym and had a personal trainer give me this schedule. Every other day is what I was told. I now have a completely different set of things I do from what I have learned. But this may help for you as a starter because it did for me. I did all of this with dumbbells!

Curls - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Lunges - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Shoulder Press - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Squats - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Skull Crusher - 8lb weight - 3 sets of 15

Chest Flys - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Ball Crunches - 3 sets of 15

Obviously this wasn't heavy weights at first, but the idea is for the routine! :) I did start lifting much heavier! :)

No offence but that is just awful.

Mostly isolation exercises, and not a single back exercise!?!?? You second biggest muscle group other than legs an it doesn't have a single exercise??

Find a new trainer ASAP.

There really is no good reason for any beginner to try and create their own workout routine when there are many tried an tested routines out there to use. Go look and strong lifts or something similar.

what i was going to say, to a T
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have just completed my cert 3 of Fitness, if you'd like to - add me as a friend and I can put together a program for you if you'd like :)

Is that a general offer? :)

Sure, feel free to add me (: