Now I've Seen Everything

Options
1235»

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    If creating this kind of environment encourages more people to join a gym and be active, I support that. I have social anxiety disorder, and at even 20 lbs.overweight found it hard as hell to walk into a gym. Be kind, people. There's so much fit/skinny person privilege and elitism on this thread.
    Why be kind??
    Not one of the previously very obese people I know on MFP have been 'niced' into their weight loss with cuddles and pats on the back. Nope. They grafted, they stopped making excuses and put themselves out of their comfort zone so much there was no turning back

Weight loss is not kittens and snowflakes. Its for the tough and the brave because they are the ones who make it.

I guess you have a point. I had to tough and brave out all of the already skinny people telling me how to lose weight. (And they all have a different way, that's for sure!) I finally learned to NOT listen to them, and do what worked for me the way I wanted to.

But how does this help others? Because this post isn't supportive - all it's expressing is inferiority if you "can't do it" - but the problem is that so many people are so overwhelmed by how everyone is telling them to lose weight that they find their heads spinning. And you can't deny that if you spend any time on the forums here. So seriously, if going to a gym with fellow obese people with similar goals helps someone, what is the problem here?

Exactly. Losing weight sucks enough on its own and it's going to be hard work either way, there's no coddling when someone is doing an hour of working out no matter how you try to slice it. Why not try to help some people out with one emotional aspect of it? This to me is a 'for the greater good' kind of thing. I support motivating, helping and hard work, not belittling people's insecurities.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm going to be honest...I can see the benefits of this for people...after all, not everyone has the confidence in a gym that I do. BUT to those people who think this is discriminatory towards a group of people...think about this...

Are men's bathrooms discriminatory towards women?
    Is ESPN discriminatory towards people who don't like sports?
    Are stores that sell alcohol discriminatory towards people in AA?
    Are sororities discriminatory towards men?

And more importantly, if you're that upset about it...why don't you just not go to those gyms. Problem solved
  • crobl
    Options
    here's my other thought on this....

do you know these people that are being judgemental?
    are they important people in your life?

NO? they why do you care what in the hell they think? In fact, how do you know what they think? Are people being mind readers??

I once had a guy "judging" me when I was doing power cleans (I'm a former rugger...we do olympic lifts), but I'm a smart*ss so I ignored him....When I was done lifting, he came over and hold me how awesome he thought it was that a chick did olympic lifts...What a judgemental jerk! So before you "judge" other people and "assume" they're judging you...realize that this is not always the situation...
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I really don't think this new gym is meant to offend people in the slightest and I really don't see why people are so up in the air about it.

Curves does the same thing (obvious just for women though) and the entire point of both Curves and this new gym is just helping people feel comfortable in a gym environment. It's giving people freedom to choice (which Curves does!) Seriously, as a women, yes I have the OPTION of going to Curves to feel comfortable, but I take the OPTION of going to a standard gym. I don't think this idea is doing anything other than giving obese people (both male and female) those same OPTIONS.
  • caddygarcia123
    caddygarcia123 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Open a gym that only caters to skinny people no fat people allowed. Only that way will balance return to the health/fitness realm.

:wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

NO? they why do you care what in the hell they think? In fact, how do you know what they think? Are people being mind readers??

I once had a guy "judging" me when I was doing power cleans (I'm a former rugger...we do olympic lifts), but I'm a smart*ss so I ignored him....When I was done lifting, he came over and hold me how awesome he thought it was that a chick did olympic lifts...What a judgemental jerk! So before you "judge" other people and "assume" they're judging you...realize that this is not always the situation...

another former rugger and i approve of this message.
  • crobl
    Options

YEAH GIRL! where'd you play at?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

scrum scrum scrum - loosehead prop for half the tight and flanker for the rest. there's also a rumor that i spent a season on the ***ewwww** wing but I deny deny deny

what about you?
  • crobl
    Options

scrum scrum scrum - loosehead prop for half the tight and flanker for the rest. there's also a rumor that i spent a season on the ***ewwww** wing but I deny deny deny

what about you?

mostly played #8....but could lock and prop if we were low on numbers
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?

Exactly what I was thinking? Maybe they could split. Have 2 gym rooms, one for obese people and one for fit people.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That's what the article said though. They are catering to people who are uncomfortable working out with "smaller patrons" because of the "potential judgment."

Right, exactly - they are taking the risk and starting these businesses specifically to cater just to these folks - still not getting your point? Again back to my logic - how is this any different from "Curves" catering to women who do not wish to work out with men????
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on opening a gym that separates poser *kitten* frome people who actually want to work out. How's that for a business model?

Based on most gyms I have gone to, if you opt for the latter you will not have many members... ;)

P90X, a heavy bag and league hockey for me... f--k gyms
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest...I can see the benefits of this for people...after all, not everyone has the confidence in a gym that I do. BUT to those people who think this is discriminatory towards a group of people...think about this...

Are men's bathrooms discriminatory towards women?
    Is ESPN discriminatory towards people who don't like sports?
    Are stores that sell alcohol discriminatory towards people in AA?
    Are sororities discriminatory towards men?

And more importantly, if you're that upset about it...why don't you just not go to those gyms. Problem solved

I also wonder if those who are so adamant about this being discrimination, do you have a problem with The Biggest Loser (so many fitness people's gospel show) only catering to those with X number of pounds to lose?

If you're thin, there are some things you can't participate in -- like The Biggest Loser TV show. Yet so many people are SO motivated by it... that's not discrimination.

I see these comments about how motivated *you* are because a heavy person is working out at your gym. I don't think the world is out to get fat people, but I do think it's one of the last socially acceptable, even encouraged, forms of discrimination. And really, again, who wants to be the "fat" person in the gym that is clearly SO out of shape that everyone is watching them, supposedly being motivated by them?

Or, do those people who are so motivated by the heavy person really just feel better about themselves because they're not struggling as much as the heavy person, and at least they're not the biggest one there?

I don't know for sure, but it sounds to me like the old "at least I'm not the worst looking one in a bathing suit" attitude I have when I go to the community pool...

I'm just saying -- it's not discrimination any more than a women's only gym or a kids' only gym. And most states don't allow discriminatory practices -- EVERYONE 18+ would be allowed to join if they really, really made a scene. You can advertise it as a facility for those with serious weight problems, but you really can't legally deny access. People need to calm the F down and stop crying discrimination and whining about how unfair it is. It's a marketing strategy, just like marketing a gym to women and calling it "such and such women's fitness."
  • spartangirl79
    Options

I worked at a women's gym that provided HIIT and other intense training programs...

And sadly, the ones doing most of the judging were the super fit women (the gym rats) and some of the trainers. They had no patience for those just starting out and made fun of them when they didn't participate in the super intense programming and instead attempted to do their own workouts.

MOST of the trainers were great, but let me tell you, I can't count the number of times I had to speak up and rush to these ladies' defense, even if it was all taking place outside of their earshot.

Women, especially women in fitness, can be the most gossipy bunch of know-it-alls you will ever encounter. It's their way or the highway and if you're not doing their program, you're wasting your time and a joke.

The bottom line is do what you gotta do to get fit, try not to let anyone affect you and try to ignore those who are judgmental *kitten*, but if a facility exists that makes a group of people more comfortable even walking through the doors in the first place, what the eff is wrong with that? You don't want to go there, don't go there. Easy enough.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A fat people only gym to avoid negative opinions is pants-on-head f*cking retarded.

-Signed, a fatass.

First of all, unless you've lived a life as a really obese person, it's a shame for you to judge! I am considered obese and have been more obese in the past, and honestly, I could give 2 hoots if someone "judges" me at the gym- however, I do believe that since woman especially have been so severely judged for their weight most of their lives, if there is a market for this type of gym, then go for it. I still don't know what would happen once a person loses weight and would still want to stay at the gym.
  • merzback
    Options
    What gym was this? was it a chain? If it was, I would contact the owners/management of the gym. I would stick my foot up a judgmental person's *kitten*- they would regret it. I have an awesome friend who is on fire with teaching fitness. When she first taught a class last week as a sub (she's been teaching for years) and she is overweight but has so much strength and passion- she said that some women were laughing in the back. They weren't laughing at the end of the class when they couldn't keep up with her.
    Only keep people in your life that are worthy of your energy and time. If someone judges you, it's THEIR insecurity. When I see an obese person at the gym, I am so glad to see them there and think they rock- male or female.
  • merzback
    Options
    Open a gym that only caters to skinny people no fat people allowed. Only that way will balance return to the health/fitness realm.

:wink:

LOL Most women would never join a gym like this because most don't think they are skinny!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If creating this kind of environment encourages more people to join a gym and be active, I support that. I have social anxiety disorder, and at even 20 lbs.overweight found it hard as hell to walk into a gym. Be kind, people. There's so much fit/skinny person privilege and elitism on this thread.
    Why be kind??
    Not one of the previously very obese people I know on MFP have been 'niced' into their weight loss with cuddles and pats on the back. Nope. They grafted, they stopped making excuses and put themselves out of their comfort zone so much there was no turning back

Weight loss is not kittens and snowflakes. Its for the tough and the brave because they are the ones who make it.

Weight loss shouldn't be misapplied to social darwinism, an effed up theory to begin with. And, you can be kind and firm at the same time. Tactful, too. I've never been obese, but if I had to deal with some of the insensitive, unnecessary elitist snark I've seen here, I wouldn't go to your gym either.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    What gym was this? was it a chain? If it was, I would contact the owners/management of the gym. I would stick my foot up a judgmental person's *kitten*- they would regret it. I have an awesome friend who is on fire with teaching fitness. When she first taught a class last week as a sub (she's been teaching for years) and she is overweight but has so much strength and passion- she said that some women were laughing in the back. They weren't laughing at the end of the class when they couldn't keep up with her.
    Only keep people in your life that are worthy of your energy and time. If someone judges you, it's THEIR insecurity. When I see an obese person at the gym, I am so glad to see them there and think they rock- male or female.

I'm assuming that question was for me?

The owner (who is also the manager, and no it is not a chain) was one of the worst. She is a terrible human being and has no business owning a gym like this. The only reason it stays in business is because she has an endless stream of funds from her mommy.

I totally agree about surrounding yourself with people that are worth your time and energy, and therefore I no longer work there!