Got a slow cooker! Throw your best ideas/recipes at me! :)

Options

Replies

• kimiconi
    kimiconi Posts: 4
    Options
    BUMP
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is my favorite website. You can search for "Slow Cooker" recipes but also other sections allow you to search for ingredients you really enjoy. Not all are healthy, but the nutritional info is provided:

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/slow-cooker

Just be careful of sodium. Many recipes use condensed soup, which can be fine in moderation, but generally is not a great option. I've stopped using recipes for my slow cooker that have it. Good Luck!
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Major bump!
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Bump, these recipes all sound so delish!
  • jmaguil4
    jmaguil4 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump =)
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    Bump :)
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Honeymoon stew

1lb diced beef
    1/4cup brown sugar
    1/4cup soy sauce
    1 jar salsa

Cook on low for 8 hours
    Half an hour before serving add 1 can of beans (we use kidney or 4 bean mix) and 1 can corn kernals (drain the cans first)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Awesome slow-cooker barbecue ribs:

broil a few pairs of ribs in the oven for 5 min each side, then lay them at the bottom of the crock pot. Add

1 C ketchup
    1 T worschestershire sauce
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 diced onion
    1 cup of water

cook on low for about 4 hours.
  • carlsjo74
    carlsjo74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • MissMay87
    MissMay87 Posts: 76
    Options
    Bump! Can't wait to read these :)
  • mochii_kitty
    mochii_kitty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Bump
  • SkinnyByTammie
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I bought the fix it and forget it diabetic cookbook. Tons of awesome food in there!

Greek Chicken
    Makes 6 servings
    278 calories

4 potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
    2lbs. chicken pieces, trimmed of skin and fat
    2 large onoins, quartered (I used 1)
    1 whold bulb garlic, minced
    3tsp. dried oregano
    3/4tsp. salt (I did not add salt)
    1/2tsp. pepper
    1TLB. olive oil

1. Place potatoes in bottom of slow cooker. Add chicken, onions, and garlic. Sprinkle with seasonings. Top with oil.

2. Cover. Cook on high 5-6 hours or on Low 9-10 hours

YUMMY!!!!

I agree
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks.
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas!
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry I am not going to read 14 pages of recipes to see if this one was used already...but I LOVE it!!! I also make more than I need and then have left-over tacos for a day or so, then pulled-pork sammies, and THEN pork fried rice. YES!!! I am also posting the salsa that I make with it. Enjoy and thanks everyone for sharing!

Pulled Pork: (this is a big recipe...you can half it)

4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or boneless country style ribs (I buy the big package of boneless ribs from costco and use about half) I cut the ribs in large cubs to break down quicker.
    4 teaspoons of oregano
    4 teaspoons of pepper
    4 teaspoons of salt
    1 or 2 onions quartered

All on high for at least 6 hours. The meat will get a bit crispy if you leave it in there a long time (many people like that)
    I skim off excess fat and then at the enf before serving I take out the onion remnants.

Serve on corn taco shells with cilantro, lime, avocado and the following salsa. Yum!

1 pound tomatillos (about 6 large), papery husks removed, rinsed
    1/2 large onion, cut into thirds
    2 serrano chiles, halved, seeded (I usually use two jalapenoes if I am serving to people who can't handle too much HOT
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (loosely packed) fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss first 5 ingredients in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Roast in oven until tomatillos and onion are very soft, about 1 hour. Transfer contents of baking dish to processor and add cilantro. Puree until almost smooth. Transfer salsa to bowl. Chill or serve at room temperature.

Recipes from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Slow-Cooked-Carnitas-Tacos-241855
  • asiedu82
    asiedu82 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump for later
  • athompson333
    Options
    bump
  • nmleisa
    nmleisa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know that someone mentioned putting chicken in with bbq sauce...but here's my take on it. :) At Target (at least in the ones with groceries) they have a BBQ Sauce by Archer Farms (target brand) that is called Hawaiian-style Barbecue Sauce...made with pineapple, orange and mango. It's got a little kick to it. I put chicken breasts in the crock-pot and coat it with the sauce...you can also add a can of pineapple...it's delish over rice! Found the recipe here....they have lots of other good ones too

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/06/crock-pot-hawaiian-bbq-chicken.html

It's actually in the crock-pot as we speak...my stove broke (actually melted in the back, lucky didn't burn my house down!), and we just ordered a new one but won't be here for a week, so I foresee lots of crock-pot and grilled meals in my future :)