Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bacon, cheese, and creamy dressing?

Seriously.

yum

^ this
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is human and some are struggling, but it does seem to me to send a rather mixed message to go to the hospital to visit a patient and see a row of doctors and nurses lined up across the street smoking.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

Well if we're gonna get technical... from the perspective of a vegan dietitian to be... a lot. Lol. If you like it though, go for it. In moderation of course.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I got fat after I became a nurse. I worked third shift for two years and gained a lot of weight. I picked up shifts when i was too tired or overwhelmed because I wanted to be there for my patients. I was up all night caring for my patients and would then come home and care for my family. I didn't sleep enough and was constantly eating things that were convenient (including vending machine junk and sugared up coffee at 3am just to stay awake.) I worried about doing a great job for everyone except for myself and ended up paying for it with my health/weight. Nurses are caregivers that often put themselves on the back burner. It's hurtful to see that someone questions why I would go into medicine because I'm overweight.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Just because they are in the healthcare field doesn't mean they don't have their own demons, flaws, and addictions.

Many of us on MFP know what we "should" do, but we are here because we struggle with it. I don't know why it would be any different for them.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    And I'm "just" a physical therapist... I say that in jest because physical therapy is never an emergency and we almost never have to work nights.

As a runner, I appreciate your job very much as I am sure there are many others who do as well!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    i organized a nurses biggest loser 6month program thanks to my fitness pal that we all have and weekly activities every Thursday on top of exercise all my fellow co workers are finally losing weight the right way and feeling better. We are in are second month and we hope to all have a new lifestyle change. I definitely agree that health care professionals need to start caring about them selves more so that they can keep taking care of people and not end up in the hospital beds. Other floors in my hospital have heard we are doing this and are starting to join us and i think its great :)

This is soo awesome! Way to be proactive
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

Well if we're gonna get technical... from the perspective of a vegan dietitian to be... a lot. Lol. If you like it though, go for it. In moderation of course.

So why are you 'slamming' on folks who are not vegan eating it?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

Haha I'm not. That was just me joking that I personally have an issue with it.... because I wouldn't eat it for ethical reasons. I think you missed that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

Haha I'm not. That was just me joking that I personally have an issue with it.... because I wouldn't eat it for ethical reasons. I think you missed that.

No, I did not miss it. In your OP you insinuated it was unhealthy, which =/= ethical objections
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

^^^^This
    As a nurse, and someone who has spent many years overweight, everyone needs to realize that we are all regular people with the same problems as everyone else. Obviously we should be trying to set an example for patients, but we are not perfect. I am 1 lb. away from being a normal BMI for the first time in my adult life, but losing over 50 lbs hasn't made me a better nurse *surprise!*. It is also to take into account that many people in the healthcare field work crazy hours, making healthy food choices more difficult. I this is the proper mindset, then we shouldn't trust skinny chefs or teachers that don't have children.

This^^^^ to both above posts. I have been a nurse for over 20 years, and over weight most of my life.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Edit: Wow server is slow - double post!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

No, I did not miss it. In your OP you insinuated it was unhealthy, which =/= ethical objections

You only mentioned where I objected to it because I'm vegan. Which is for ethical reasons.

But it's true that I also have an issue with it because I know it's not healthy.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    I give up. I forget that people on here don't really know my personality and can't tell when I'm kidding around. I guess I am spoiled by being a member of another forum where I'm used to people joking around and not taking every little thing so seriously.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Seriously.

Valid question.

You only mentioned where I objected to it because I'm vegan. Which is for ethical reasons.

But it's true that I also have an issue with it because I know it's not healthy.

So, back to the original question - why is it unhealthy?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I am an RN and when I was a student, I decided to lose weight because I knew it would be important to my practice. Practice what you preach.
    My weight loss is for me.

As is mine, but a big part in the final push to actually go through with losing weight was this thought.
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As a RN I also lost weight during school because society makes it an issue. However, my weight doesn't mean I don't know my stuff
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

^^^^This
    As a nurse, and someone who has spent many years overweight, everyone needs to realize that we are all regular people with the same problems as everyone else. Obviously we should be trying to set an example for patients, but we are not perfect. I am 1 lb. away from being a normal BMI for the first time in my adult life, but losing over 50 lbs hasn't made me a better nurse *surprise!*. It is also to take into account that many people in the healthcare field work crazy hours, making healthy food choices more difficult. I this is the proper mindset, then we shouldn't trust skinny chefs or teachers that don't have children.

This^^^^ to both above posts. I have been a nurse for over 20 years, and over weight most of my life.

I do not have that kind of job, and do not always have time to get my meals planned or prepared, so I can imagine how hard it would be for someone in that profession.

I was very very ill a few years ago and spent some time in ICU. My 'favorite' ICU nurse was a little chunky. Did it make a rats-*kitten* of difference to me - absolutely not - all I cared about was the care she gave me (which was fantastic btw).

Would I put much faith in an over-weight dietician? Probably not as that is their field of expertise. It is not the field of expertise of the majority of folks in the healthcare industry. And there is always the old adage - do as I say, not as I do.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    So, back to the original question - why is it unhealthy?

High in saturated fats, high in sodium, dressing potentially high in sugar... those are some of the worst salad toppings possible imo. Depends what kind of cheese of course, lots of varieties of cheeses are very healthy.