Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have an idea...Why don't you encourage these people rather than questions them on a forum where they can't defend themselves. I am actually a very healthy and fit nurse and specialize in Pediatrics (Pediatric Weight management is where it is at for me) so I get where you are coming from. However, maybe if you say at your next meeting - "Hey everyone I brought fresh fruit and veggies for the meeting today", people will a) respect you that you take your future profession seriously and b) respect you as a person who was thoughtful enough to share. You could then add "Ya I am using a website called my fitness pal and I try to increase my fruits daily, so I wanted to share with you." How better to set the example and plug your cause.

It is ALWAYS better to support than judge. Please remember that as you enter the healthcare field. Trust me it is a hard job at times, but there is always a way to support someone. Good luck with the remainder of your internship...

Those are some great thoughts and a great idea, thank you.

I love this.

I think part of what makes me motivated is that I do struggle, so I can offer real advice to patients, as opposed to the one hypothetical nurse who could eat burgers every day and not gain weight. I can say, "Yes, I used to be obese but by blah blah blah I was able to lose fifty pounds."
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I got in trouble once when I questioned a really overweight nurse about her ability to give me any good nutrition advice. She reported me to the union and the hospital and almost got banned from returning... I have always felt the same way about doctors and nurses who don't seem to take care of themselves and they work in the healthcare field only because that's what they went to school for and it is just another paycheck to them. My new doctor specializes in sports medicine and he's tall, skinny, and coaches me a lot about how to control my weigh through exercise and measured food intake. I trust him and his advise with my life.
    That's all it took to get you almost banned?? Wow. I am an ER nurse. We get bullied and literally pushed around by patients and they never get into trouble with the hospital. I might come work where you went. I might survive my nursing career. BTW, I have been a nurse 12 years. I have always had to watch my weight. I broke my leg and was mostly immobile for six months. If you had been my patient my first day back, I guess you would have questioned my abilities.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have an idea...Why don't you encourage these people rather than questions them on a forum where they can't defend themselves. I am actually a very healthy and fit nurse and specialize in Pediatrics (Pediatric Weight management is where it is at for me) so I get where you are coming from. However, maybe if you say at your next meeting - "Hey everyone I brought fresh fruit and veggies for the meeting today", people will a) respect you that you take your future profession seriously and b) respect you as a person who was thoughtful enough to share. You could then add "Ya I am using a website called my fitness pal and I try to increase my fruits daily, so I wanted to share with you." How better to set the example and plug your cause.

It is ALWAYS better to support than judge. Please remember that as you enter the healthcare field. Trust me it is a hard job at times, but there is always a way to support someone. Good luck with the remainder of your internship...

Those are some great thoughts and a great idea, thank you.

I love this.

I think part of what makes me motivated is that I do struggle, so I can offer real advice to patients, as opposed to the one hypothetical nurse who could eat burgers every day and not gain weight. I can say, "Yes, I used to be obese but by blah blah blah I was able to lose fifty pounds."

Agreed! I know eating healthy can be tough and I've actually struggled with eating disorders, so I get the whole psychological aspect of it too. As someone who's "been there" but has been able to make a change for the better, I think I'm in the position to offer some really good advice to people if they're willing to take it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, back to the original question - why is it unhealthy?

High in saturated fats, high in sodium, dressing potentially high in sugar... those are some of the worst salad toppings possible imo. Depends what kind of cheese of course, lots of varieties of cheeses are very healthy.

In appropriate doses, how are any of these detrimental to your health?

ETA: pre-existing medical conditions aside.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I wasnt going to reply to this topic. I was insulted when I first read it and all the negative comments. However after talking with a friend decided to answer your question and respond to some of the negative comments.

I am responsible for peoples lives every shift I work. They depend on me to keep them safe. This is stressful. Stress causes the release of cortisol. Cortisol causes 1 of 2 things. You either store fat like its nobodies business or you burn fat like its nobodies business. Nurses are typically very skinny or overweight. The rare one is inbetween. There are days I make poor choices because my option is grab a bag of chips from the vending machine or sit & eat a healthy meal while my patient bleeds out or goes into respiiratory distress.

I am fully aware like most healthcare professionals what Im doing to my body. I eat well most of the time. I work out 3 days a week. However still struggle with my weight because of cortisol levels and poor coping skills. When Ive had a day where a 6 month old kid dies in the trauma room because of something that could have been prevented, all I want at the end of my shift is a little comfort food, a cigarette, a stiff drink and to cuddle with my kids. Are these the best options. No. Everyone deals with stress different.

Going into the healthcare field yourself, I would look at trying to educate my patient instead of judging the choices that they make. Sometimes its about the quality of someones life. If bacon makes my pt happy so be it. I would rather my pt be happy for 3 yrs than miserable for 20. Just my 2 cents.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am not a nurse but am in training to become a Personal Trainer. I started my wl journey long before I knew this was what I wanted to do. I started this for me, but when it comes down to it... when I feel like bingeing I say to myself.. what would I say to a client when they tell me they feel like bingeing and think I need to be there for them, mentally and physically. I still have 5 more months to gain my cert 4 though, so will hopefully be in the "healthy" weight range by then, although I personally think BMI is a load of bull.
  • NotAlone82
    NotAlone82 Posts: 32
    Options
    This post is sad. I'm glad to see there are those who are not so quick to draw conclusions. You DO NOT know their life story, their struggles or even if they are TRYING to lose weight.
  • crooks_RN
    crooks_RN Posts: 69
    Options
    LOL..........I guess I am one of those "fat" nurses that shouldn't be trusted!! :huh: And yea, sometimes I eat a candy bar at the start of my shift b/c that is probably the ONLY thing I will eat that day b/c my "untrustable" fat but will be running around all day taking care of other people. I dont even get to pee until I get back home! And while I may not make the best choices for myself, I always make the best choices for my patients!! We are here to lose weight not judge other people, this is SOO sad. I bet if you needed someone to save your butt you would trust a "fat" nurse in a heartbeat!!!

:noway: ...............feel much better now!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    LOL..........I guess I am one of those "fat" nurses that shouldn't be trusted!! :huh: And yea, sometimes I eat a candy bar at the start of my shift b/c that is probably the ONLY thing I will eat that day b/c my "untrustable" fat but will be running around all day taking care of other people. I dont even get to pee until I get back home! And while I may not make the best choices for myself, I always make the best choices for my patients!! We are here to lose weight not judge other people, this is SOO sad. I bet if you needed someone to save your butt you would trust a "fat" nurse in a heartbeat!!!

:noway: ...............feel much better now!

Is that a slow code I hear. Lol
  • savachick015
    savachick015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying, but at the same time I think its more the "do as I say not as I do." Just like I know what I am supposed to be doing, even though most of the time I don't. Just because of their weight issues doesn't really mean they aren't giving you good advice. All it means, is that they aren't taking their own.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    LOL.......would you think twice about hiring a FAT lawyer? or a Fat chef??? Come on people!! Ive been a nurse my entire life, and im smart enough to know that we are all different, and I certainly know that no one is perfect either!! If you were perfect you wouldn't need us fat dysfunctional health care workers to save your *kitten* when your dying! Geeze!!!!

Totally this!! I find this thread incredibly offensive. Yes I am a fat nurse, but my patients don't know that I am working hard to be less fat - when you see me in the street all you see is a fat person, you don't see the almost 50lbs I have lost so far. If your *kitten* is dying you shouldn't care how fat I am, you should care about the fact I can save your damn life and I am awesome at my damn job, add to that I am incredibly kind, caring and staunch patient advocate.

This thread is just fat bashing dressed up - cut that *kitten* out
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How they take care of themselves has nothing to do with how much their know or their ability. Everyone goes through some sort of tough time and theirs might have just resulted in weight gain. They're human like everyone else.
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

That's petty and judgemental - how would you feel if the roles were reversed?
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    Amazing how so many people are quick to judge nurses and doctors. I am a nurse and I take care of people in their most embarrasing, troubling times. Do I judge them and laugh when they can't wipe their own a**? No. Do I judge them when they need to be treated for herpes or HIV? No. Most of all..do I judge anyone because they are also overweight? No. Most days I spend more time taking care of you than I do myself and you have the nerve to question my abilities because of my weight? I bet you won't be questioning my ability when I'm injecting life saving meds or doing cpr to you or your loved one. You ended up in my care for a reason and if you don't want to take my medically sound advice, then don't. I will promise you though, that when you show up on my floor again next year for the same reasons..I won't judge you.

To the OP..I'm not sure WHY nurses or doctors or ANYBODY for that matter makes their own bad personal decisions. I personally pack my own food (not that I always have time to eat it) and I'm on my own weight loss journey.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't think more should be expected of medical people than anyone else. Not many people today can say that they DON'T know someone who has diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. and that a healthier lifestyle could help or even change this. Most educated people KNOW what it takes to be healthy down the road (and this means simple education, not an MD degree, even elementary students are being taught healthy choices), we just choose NOT to think about the future, not to think that someday that could be us, not to think about what we are doing to ourselves. We live in the here and now and don't worry about that future. That can be said of weight, of people who don't save money, of people who have unprotected sex, of .......etc...etc...etc....if it doesn't hurt us now, then why worry about it.

I know what a healthy lifestyle could mean, but it didn't stop me until I was ready to stop. Well, till I was ready to "TRY" stopping, I'm not anywhere close to being there yet. In the medical field or not, most of us KNOW and see the results of the unhealthy lifestyle on some relative or friend, but it's hard to give up the way of life that we have been raised with and enjoy.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I wasnt going to reply to this topic. I was insulted when I first read it and all the negative comments. However after talking with a friend decided to answer your question and respond to some of the negative comments.

I am responsible for peoples lives every shift I work. They depend on me to keep them safe. This is stressful. Stress causes the release of cortisol. Cortisol causes 1 of 2 things. You either store fat like its nobodies business or you burn fat like its nobodies business. Nurses are typically very skinny or overweight. The rare one is inbetween. There are days I make poor choices because my option is grab a bag of chips from the vending machine or sit & eat a healthy meal while my patient bleeds out or goes into respiiratory distress.

I am fully aware like most healthcare professionals what Im doing to my body. I eat well most of the time. I work out 3 days a week. However still struggle with my weight because of cortisol levels and poor coping skills. When Ive had a day where a 6 month old kid dies in the trauma room because of something that could have been prevented, all I want at the end of my shift is a little comfort food, a cigarette, a stiff drink and to cuddle with my kids. Are these the best options. No. Everyone deals with stress different.

Going into the healthcare field yourself, I would look at trying to educate my patient instead of judging the choices that they make. Sometimes its about the quality of someones life. If bacon makes my pt happy so be it. I would rather my pt be happy for 3 yrs than miserable for 20. Just my 2 cents.

Just part of why Lori is on my :heart: list :)
  • Elimax217
    Elimax217 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As an EMT I not only see patients that even the stretchers say are too big and most of their medical problems can be tied to their weight, I have also seen a number of EMTs as well as myself who are on the heavy side. For months I made the excuse that I' rather take care of others than take care of myself however taking care of myself has made it much easier to take care of others. Seeing other emts who are too big to fit in the tight places on an ambulance makes me wonder are they doing more harm than good? mostare good at their job and their weight doesn't interfere with their care in which case go ahead if your happy stay that way but the ones who cant provide good care because of their weight I feel need to take a break form the ambulance take care of themselves and then take care of others.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Judgmental and petty.. One has to remember that nurses, doctors and other healthcare professionals are human too and we make mistakes and also have our own health issues.. Just bc a nurse or a doctor is heavy doesn't mean they dont have the knowledge. If you go around and expect to find a healthcare provider that is perfect you will never find one. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!! The one discriminatory practice that is still widely accepted it the abuse of people who are over weight. Unbelievable!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

Perhaps some nurses are fat because they work so many hours taking care of everyone's loved ones?

I'm a nurse - and I'm losing weight because I see the problems my patient's deal with and know that I don't want that to be me someday.

Maybe you should think before you speak (or type).
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The problem with judging people because they are overweight is no different than judging a new Doctor as being too young. Or a Doctor from another country with a thick accent because his English isn't easy to understand. Let's not forget the nurse with a tattoo etc.

You can color it with any kind of rationale that you like but I think it is all too easy to find reasons to judge and rather than finding reasons to justify it, how about we all work on getting to know the quality of a person before we count them out.