Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! This goes ALL over me! I'm a nurse and have been for 4 years now. I, however, have been overweight all of my life. My being overweight hasn't once EVER affected my ability to do my job. I have coded 500lb men and been thrown back in on compressions way more than I would've ever liked because I was the ONLY nurse doing them effectively. I think this is all about a person's journey. Sure the nurse giving the doctor's prescribed diet advice might have been overweight, how do you as a patient know whether or not she's trying to diet on her own? Yes as a nurse I've personally seen all of the ill effects of what being overweight does to a person, which is why I'm trying VERY HARD, might I add, to change my life now before it gets any harder or further down the road. .
    Love this reply
    I'm a nurse, and I'm overweight- trying to change that which is why I'm here.
    My weight has never impacted my job, except perhaps positively when I am the only one strong enough to perform compressions on those 500 lb men! I am very good at my job ( I've been a nurse over 20 years so it would suck if I weren't good at it by now.) There are patients who always ask for me when they return to the hospital, and come visit me when they have a clinic appointment. They don't look at the weight- they see the inner person who loved and cared for them as if they were family, the person who fought for them like a ferocious bulldog so that they got the treatment they needed, the one who taught the new doctors what needed to be done, the one who wouldn't leave their side when they were frightened... It's not a credit to me- God puts us where we need to be at exactly the right time.
    As far as teaching patients about diet, I feel they are able to disclose to me more than they might to a thinner person. I tell them, "Obviously I have a problem with weight, and I KNOW where you are coming from. It's hard." That usually opens a very honest discussion and we can then talk about needed change.
    In closing, I want to thank all of my fellow nurses, overweight or not, for the care that you provide every day.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    here's my bottom line on this one -

Have you ever eaten an unhealthy item? chips, soda, candy bar, cookie, ice cream, etc....

Have you ever made an unhealthy lifestyle choice? drank, smoked, skipped a work out, missed sleep...

Are you perfect?

I'm guessing everyone on here has answered yes to the first 2 questions and no to the 3rd....so, if you have made mistakes, then WHY DO YOU HAVE ANY RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE ELSE, regardless of their profession.

Now, I by no means consider myself a religous person, but consider this

Luke 6:37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

hopefully you won't ever need emergent or serious care that is provided to you by a nurse or doc that is overweight then.

i am an RN. i worked pediatric oncology ( kids with cancer), general peds, maternal child health ( moms, babies, nursery) and a level 3 NICU ( basically the sickest of the sick preterm infant and neonates).

my job was NOT hindered in the least bit when i was over weight!!!! switching from day shift to night shift was NOT kind to me. and i gained about 10 lbs.

my job WAS mildly hindered working in the NICU while 8 months preggo though.

would you question a pregnant nurse, and not trust her??? if you're not gonna trust a fat nurse, you definitely can't trust a pregnant one!! i mean, we are a mess and have to pee all of the time, and our hands are puffy and our feet are puffy and we have to sit a lot and we move super duper extra slow! the list does go on.......

some of the most amazing NICU RNs i worked with were over weight. VERY over weight. they were still amazing nurses that worked so hard each and every day to save the babies they took care of. working pediatric oncology, you tend to lose weight. you run the entire 12 hr shift. there is no sitting. and no eating. not to mention no peeing. so, as a peds onc RN you get bladder infections. and kidney infections. and a slew of GI issues from holding and not eating. and you get fuzzy in the head due to lack of calories consumed during your 12 hr or more shift.........

if you were to go to a doc for weight loss, and the staff was heavy you might say " well, they won't have any idea of what they are talking about." and it's quite possible. but, you also might have met staff that just aren't there yet. they don't care 'that much' about themselves.

people in the medical field might not take BETTER care of themselves than others, but usually that's because they are SOOO worried and concerned about taking care of YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES!!!!!!!!

so, if you're gonna hate on fat nurses and docs, i do pray that you never need the help from one. because i will guarantee, they will give up lunch, dinner, peeing, and sitting down to take care of you and make sure YOU are ok!!!!!!
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    If the person knows the material and can transfer that knowledge for the better towards my health, I couldn't care less what they look like.

My college football coach didn't play college or pro quarterback, but I listened to him intently because his job was to improve my skills and make the team better. His lack of playing experience was not a factor because he knew what he was talking about.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Don't sell people short based on their appearances. Of all people, we here at MFP should know that.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    On the topic of nurses that work really hard for their patients, I have a very different take than most... I think something is VERY VERY wrong with the fact that indeed, those people are worked and stressed to their breaking point on a daily basis. It's the biggest irony that it is that difficult for someone in this field to stay healthy and live an healthy lifestyle.

Here in Quebec, a lot of people graduating from nursing school go to Europe, like Sweden where they have MUCH better conditions. At the moment here, the average nurse works double shifts 3 days a week. And the peer pressure is so screwed that the ones crossing the pond perceived as the evil ones, shame on them for actually wanting to have the opportunity to excel at their work AND develop as a person...

This is just insane, and they all do it for their patients, not realizing that in fact no one wins, especially not themselves, and not even their patients, who do realize that this situation is garbage... Someone somewhere is saving on costs and paying themselves hefty bonuses because they can count on the fact that you won't let someone die, and that is what is very wrong.

So yeah, I do think, like someone said earlier and was taken badly, that it is absolutely terrible that your job is doing that to you. And like someone else said, it is an excuse. A VERY good one, but still an excuse. Your patients are very important, but none of them will be around when you suffer, alone, and impose on your own family, the consequences of being overweight. This is why we are here, and everyone has a good reason why they got there, but everyone also has to get out of obesity, no matter their job or story.

Nutritionists on the other hand, they have a different situation. My previous post still resumes what I think about that case :p Their bodies are their uniforms, and to be taken seriously, just like any other job like that, you have to lead by example. Which, truly when you think about it, is more of a perk than a burden.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I beg your pardon!!! I am going to say this much. I am an RN and I work with many nurses who are overweight, smoke, drink, eat crap food, struggle with eating disorders, are diabetic, have hypertension, or high cholesterol, etc. Some of those "fat" nurses or doctors or whatever, have underlying problems that make them the way they are. Thyroid problems, PCOD, and other problems can cause people to be heavy. Some of us have a hereditary disposition that increases our risk for diabetes, high cholesterol, or HTN. Some of us just graduated nursing school and have been pretty sedentary as we "sit" on our fat a@# studying to save your a@# when you come into the ER needing your lives to be saved. Have you ever tried to quit smoking? Harder habit to break than heroin. I know, because I tried to quit smoking a total of 22 times before I finally kicked THAT habit. To top things off, stress triggers many people to smoke, and nursing is a VERY stressful job. People code on you, people die, patients treat you like crap, emergencies happen during labor, kids come into the ER severely beaten. I have come home from work, grabbed a beer, and sobbed for hours because my 12hr night shift was so stressful.
    That being said, nobody is perfect. Not even my fellow healthcare workers and I. I would certainly rather have a fat RN and doctor who are both knowledgeable and have good bedside manner and common sense working to save my life, than the skinny ding-dong twit who couldn't fight his/her way out of a wet paper sack.
    Before you judge your next fat nurse, consider where you were and currently are on your journey. Consider how you would feel if you were the fat nurse with the skinny twit sitting in front of you, judging y:angry: ou.
  • Kattjb73
    Kattjb73 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also work in health care. I work in a pharmacy and see patients buying insulin and snickers at the same time. I see it I care. Sometimes we are not in the frame of mind of our health when we have other worries on our mind. I am overwieght but not to the point where people look at me and wonder why I chose this bad meal today. Nurses is some facilities are following protocal and dont know themselves how to use it then some nurses are overweight but healthier than some skinny model. so please be careful and put yourself in someone elses shoes just for a moment and maybe find a common ground that can help both parties. Oh PS I love your weight loss counter BAZINGA!
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    I wasnt going to reply to this topic. I was insulted when I first read it and all the negative comments. However after talking with a friend decided to answer your question and respond to some of the negative comments.

I am responsible for peoples lives every shift I work. They depend on me to keep them safe. This is stressful. Stress causes the release of cortisol. Cortisol causes 1 of 2 things. You either store fat like its nobodies business or you burn fat like its nobodies business. Nurses are typically very skinny or overweight. The rare one is inbetween. There are days I make poor choices because my option is grab a bag of chips from the vending machine or sit & eat a healthy meal while my patient bleeds out or goes into respiiratory distress.

I am fully aware like most healthcare professionals what Im doing to my body. I eat well most of the time. I work out 3 days a week. However still struggle with my weight because of cortisol levels and poor coping skills. When Ive had a day where a 6 month old kid dies in the trauma room because of something that could have been prevented, all I want at the end of my shift is a little comfort food, a cigarette, a stiff drink and to cuddle with my kids. Are these the best options. No. Everyone deals with stress different.

Going into the healthcare field yourself, I would look at trying to educate my patient instead of judging the choices that they make. Sometimes its about the quality of someones life. If bacon makes my pt happy so be it. I would rather my pt be happy for 3 yrs than miserable for 20. Just my 2 cents.

I put band-aids on my patients boo-boos before I clock out to eat my healthy home-made lunch.

- From a rare breed (inbetweenie)
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pass judgement either.

Nursing is a very stressful field.

I would rather have a big nurse who is a nice and decent person look after me than a skinny nurse who is a B-I-T-C-H

I was in the hospital in February and missed a meal one day I was there, a skinny nurse told me that her mistake of not giving me my lunch was excusable because "You are a big girl and don't need to eat, actually, you probably need to lose some weight" - her EXACT words. I am only 180 pounds and 5'5", overweight but not huge.
  • jpbeck
    jpbeck Posts: 30
    Options
    I think a lot of people presume that when people work in the healthcare field they should be healthy because they work with people who are sick and/or are generally unhealthy and people think that because of what the healthcare professionals see everyday they do not want to be that way.

However that can be nothing further from the truth. Unhealthy habits and eating do not discriminate between race, gender, class, and occupation. Healthcare workers are just as prone as to other people to bad habits because they share one common trait with the rest of the populous, and that is being human.

It is also my belief that healthcare workers have less access to healthy lifestyle choices. I based this on two perspectives; the stress of the job itself and the long hours they put in their professions. It is not uncommon for a hospital floor nurse to put in four 12 hour work shifts a week, with three 12s being the average. I feel this is ironic because to put in the long hours and to deal with the stress it is my opinion that you have to be fit as possible.

With that said whenever I see a healthcare professional the only thing I care about is information that I can use to get better and live a healthy lifestyle. Even then I do my own research of the information given to me to see if its good because even healthcare professionals can give bad or out of date advice.

It's like the old Russian saying, "Trust, but confirm".
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is two fold:
    -Sometimes when you spend so much time taking care of others, you forget to take care of yourself
    -The important of diet and nutrition is often glossed over in medical training. Many doctors never take a nutrition course. Our health care system is about treatment, not prevention.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am an ALMOST RN (taking the NCLEX soon!) and in school I did a research project on the effect of overweight and obese nurses on the patient's confidence in nutrition information given by the nurse.... something like that, the title was hella long. anyways, i felt like in nursing school as a diabetic and overweight that i should definitely practice what i preach because who would i be to give nutrition advice if i weren't following it myself? my research said the same thing. patients tend to not want to follow an overweight nurses' advice because they don't practice it themselves. as a healthy nurse, i would be able to attest to the patients about how to live a healthy life and tips on overcoming obesity.
  • newfienurse66
    Options
    My weight does not affect my intelligence, compassion,care and concern! I am a proud well educated Nurse! Who has looked after the sick for well over 25 years, you don't want to trust me because of my weight fine but you are the one missing out! The one thing I am so proud and confident of is my ability as a nurse, don't judge me on my weight judge me on my compassion!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    On the topic of nurses that work really hard for their patients, I have a very different take than most... I think something is VERY VERY wrong with the fact that indeed, those people are worked and stressed to their breaking point on a daily basis. It's the biggest irony that it is that difficult for someone in this field to stay healthy and live an healthy lifestyle.

Here in Quebec, a lot of people graduating from nursing school go to Europe, like Sweden where they have MUCH better conditions. At the moment here, the average nurse works double shifts 3 days a week. And the peer pressure is so screwed that the ones crossing the pond perceived as the evil ones, shame on them for actually wanting to have the opportunity to excel at their work AND develop as a person...

This is just insane, and they all do it for their patients, not realizing that in fact no one wins, especially not themselves, and not even their patients, who do realize that this situation is garbage... Someone somewhere is saving on costs and paying themselves hefty bonuses because they can count on the fact that you won't let someone die, and that is what is very wrong.

So yeah, I do think, like someone said earlier and was taken badly, that it is absolutely terrible that your job is doing that to you. And like someone else said, it is an excuse. A VERY good one, but still an excuse. Your patients are very important, but none of them will be around when you suffer, alone, and impose on your own family, the consequences of being overweight. This is why we are here, and everyone has a good reason why they got there, but everyone also has to get out of obesity, no matter their job or story.

Nutritionists on the other hand, they have a different situation. My previous post still resumes what I think about that case :p Their bodies are their uniforms, and to be taken seriously, just like any other job like that, you have to lead by example. Which, truly when you think about it, is more of a perk than a burden.

I completely agree with you. It is the nature of many countries these days - the U.S. is particularly bad and it sounds like Canada is there, too - to work people to death, even though productivity would be higher if people are *not* worked so hard in the wrong way.

My mother's a nurse, and the things they have to deal with can be terrible. Some states are better than others. For instance, I've heard that some states have people specifically for lifting patients so that nurses do not need to risk hurting their backs, some states require an hour "nap" if you work a 12 hour night shift (personally I find it terrifying that medical professionals in hospitals have to work long hours - I would much rather someone who has not been working for so long care for me in an emergency), but mostly, yeah - nurses work long hours and can find it difficult to eat well without regular breaks (or any breaks) and with patients leaving baked goods and stuff. However, that's why it's even more important to try to take control and plan so that the vending machine or cafeteria food is not an easy option. I'm vegan, I have to plan for every day or I just wouldn't be able to eat a lot of times. Having good meals at work can become a part of life if a person makes it so.

To the OP - I understand what you're saying. You weren't talking about skills but wondering why people who see the negative consequences of actions every day appear to find it hard to make positive changes for themselves. Who really knows? Humans seem to be very adept at existing in denial. If you're in a place which requires effort, especially a lot of effort, to get out of, something has to switch in your brain before you can really make a change; it's easier to just stay the same.
  • laughablyginger
    Options
    I'll throw my own personal two cents in the ring, just from working in the healthcare field previously, and since I have decided to make a change. It might be hard for a person who works a normal 9-5 job five days a week to understand how healthcare professionals can let their weight or their health spiral out of control. I used to work as an EMT and started going to nursing school before certain unforeseen circumstances came up and had to give up my career. I can personally attest to why I gained weight and made poor decisions while I did these jobs, even though I was medically trained to know why it was bad for me.

First of all, I gained a crazy amount of weight when I was working as an EMT and going to paramedic school. I was attending school twice a week for twelve hours and doing sixteen hour clinicals on days I wasn't in class. I barely had time to sleep, much less exercise appropriately. Any spare time I was not doing clinicals or going to school I was volunteering at a local fire department to help pad my resume and get some experience. My food choices weren't amazing because despite making more than minimum wage and being able to afford food in college, I was never home to make healthy meals for myself. It was a lot easier to grab something between runs or to trot down to the hospital cafeteria for a snack. I also smoked because some of the things I saw on a daily basis could get under my skin easily and sometimes give me recurring nightmares. Most of the time I was able to get small amounts of sleep on a rotating schedule, but after any particularly gory day, I had trouble getting to sleep that night. I also had a relationship dissolve on me arond that time, and I believe the reason was because I was never home. That put a lot of stress on me, And all of this while I was still in school and working "part-time!" I couldn't imagine how a doctor constantly on call feels!

My first day on the job I was asked by my partner "So, kid, you know what EMT stands for?" I waited for him to answer, and he said "Extra-Marital Time" and I believe him. You have so little time for yourself, much less your partners, I bet there is rampant infildelity.

I wish people would stop judging healthcare providers so harshly. They have given up EVERYTHING, at the expense of themselves, to do heroic work saving or bettering other people's lives. I'm not saying that being healthy in the field is impossible, but try to be a little more understanding of what these people actually go through. They really do mean to help you.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with overweight people. I know how hard it is to lose weight. I do however have a problem with smokers. I went to the ER for a very bad migraine and the nurse smelled like cigarette smoke. It was so bad I ended up throwing up on her. If i could throw up on every smoker I would.

I also have problems with nutritionist who say to eat "whole wheat bread everyday" I have been told this by multiple nutritionists. I have celiacs for crying out loud and they are telling me to eat wheat. Even if I didn't have celiacs wheat causes inflammation and your blood sugar to soar and then crash.

Sorry that was my rant.

Do they know of your problem before they tell you to eat whole wheat?
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital, and yes I am overweight, You can't not take people seriously because they have a few pounds on them, I mean come on, you don't know why they are overweight, yes they know they are overweight, doesnt mean they dont know how to do their jobs. and you dont know why they are overweight, could be a health issue or due to medication etc.. Dont judge a book by its cover
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So I know your not trying to be judgmental about unhealthy people working in the health field, but did you even realize how that was going to come off to people who have the illnesses you listed. I have never in my life blamed IBS on my diet, because its creation is in no way related. Half the time attacks are not even related to what I am eating. Maybe, since he is a professional, he knows that and doesn't view it the way that you do.

People with IBS have a horrendous time with diets. For me personally I can only drink whole organic milk and white bread. I cant eat fish. Most fruits and vegetables make me ill. Orange juice is completely out of the question. Stress affects it. Drastic temperature changes affect it. Smells affect it. The medications make you gain weight because they assume you are losing so much being ill.

I have a heard time taking advice from people who do not understand what having this issue is like and how it affects you life.

What upsets me about your post, is that it reads like you are saying it is the fault of the patients that they are sick. I was a competitive gymnast when I was diagnosed as a child. My diet was in no way bad and I was very healthy. It is not my fault that I am sick.

I understand your frustration with people in the health industry who do not take care of themselves as they should (i.e. nurses and doctors who smoke). I just dont think you meant it as it came across. People are very touchy about their illnesses. I hope this doesnt come off like I am attacking you. I just wanted to make you aware of how it sounded and explain why it got a negative reaction from me.

Everyones gotta have an excuse for being fat. I have a close friend with IBS, she has been through hell with it and weights 130 lbs. She takes responsibility for her illness and her own actions.

I don't understand "She take responsibility for her illness" How do you take responsibility for IBS when it can strike at anytime relating to food or not. I can wake up at 4am and have an episode untill 12pm not eat anything. It does not matter what you eat with IBS it can hurt you at any time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just because they are in the healthcare field doesn't mean they don't have their own demons, flaws, and addictions.

Many of us on MFP know what we "should" do, but we are here because we struggle with it. I don't know why it would be any different for them.

I think this is the best answer to the OP's question as well as the best response to the people that don't like fat healthcare workers. Most people know the hardships that being overweight or smoking can cause. Many people know firsthand. So the real question is, how can we all know this but have a country (USA) with such high rates of being overweight?

My opinion for everyone, not just healthcare workers, is a mix of many things: convenience foods are usually disproportionate in satiety and caloric cost and are available just about everywhere, human biology sends out pleasure responses to convenience foods, addiction, distortion of portion sizes, a shift in industry to require less physical labor, emotional connections to childhood foods ... the list goes on and on. A mix of the individual and society. It may not be impossible for most of us to lose weight, but the influence the mix of the above has on each of us can vary and affect how easy or difficult it is.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Just because they are in the healthcare field doesn't mean they don't have their own demons, flaws, and addictions.

Many of us on MFP know what we "should" do, but we are here because we struggle with it. I don't know why it would be any different for them.
    This is what I said only a wordier version. Nicely said.