Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be judgmental, since I'm trying to lose weight myself, and I know others may be on a weight loss journey of their own.

However, I'm currently a dietetic intern at a nursing home. Nearly every resident has some sort of nutrition related diagnoses - hypertension, type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, osteoarthrosis, GERD, IBS, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc. Of course they are all on a million different medications as well. My question is, when you are working around patients/residents who have these conditions and you can clearly see the impact of a poor diet in so many different manifestations, why wouldn't you be doing something to take control of your own health so you can avoid those things in the future? We were sitting in a meeting at 9am the other morning and I noticed an employee eating a candy bar and a bag of Doritos. At lunch a lot of people eat salads with bacon, cheese, creamy dressing, etc. Are they just oblivious or are they under the impression that "it's not going to happen to them"? A lot of the employees are very overweight as well. Why do I see so many unhealthy choices being made?

I don't mean to be judgemental, but why are you here? Many of the people on this website are here actively making a change. Many of the people here have been judged and accused of being lazy or incompetent because of their weight. You know what? When I was younger and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which I had NO control over) I decided that I would never be able to lose weight and I ate what I wanted. It wasn't a good idea, but at that time, weight loss felt so unachievable. There could be many reasons, like not having time to work out or cook, or even lack of education. There are many misconceptions about weight loss, and you don't have the full story.

But please, don't imply incompetence based on a small sliver of the life you see your fellow employees lead.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a Registered Dietitian, and although I am morbidly obese it doesn't stop me from doing my job well. Like many Dietitians I struggle with a food addiction/disordered eating. We all make choices, and those of use in the healthcare field understand the consequences. Many times it is more than just making a bad choices, its time contstraints, self destruction, not feeling spiritually in tuned to your body. I struggle with my weight. I'm trying to respect my body and make the right choices, but it's an on going battle. I do think that my struggle helps me have more empathy for my residents. I know what they mean when they say I just can't stop eating, and how difficult it is for them to change life long habits. Yes, I'm fat but that doesnt stop me from caring for my residents and using my best clinical judegment to ensure that they have quality life. In the end, thats why we are in healthcare to help people.

I don`t mean to sound bad, and I am sure you are super excellent at your job ;-)

And there is a but...as a dietician do you not feel that you have to present an impression to your clients?

I really am not trying to be nasty to you, I am just thinking if I were to come to you for dietary help then I would feel a bit upset if you were not `trim`

For example if I went to a personal trainer and they were overweight then I would think that thry really don`t know what they are doing?

I am not trying to single you out and am sure you are fantastic at your job...I am just asking the question

there is also the flip side that if I went to see her as a patient I would think - at least she understands how hard it is for me
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    As a RN I also lost weight during school because society makes it an issue. However, my weight doesn't mean I don't know my stuff

Well said!

I work night shift as an RN and I think that plays a big part in "fat nurses" - work that for 5 years and see what that does to your body.
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    I wasnt going to reply to this topic. I was insulted when I first read it and all the negative comments. However after talking with a friend decided to answer your question and respond to some of the negative comments.

I am responsible for peoples lives every shift I work. They depend on me to keep them safe. This is stressful. Stress causes the release of cortisol. Cortisol causes 1 of 2 things. You either store fat like its nobodies business or you burn fat like its nobodies business. Nurses are typically very skinny or overweight. The rare one is inbetween. There are days I make poor choices because my option is grab a bag of chips from the vending machine or sit & eat a healthy meal while my patient bleeds out or goes into respiiratory distress.

I am fully aware like most healthcare professionals what Im doing to my body. I eat well most of the time. I work out 3 days a week. However still struggle with my weight because of cortisol levels and poor coping skills. When Ive had a day where a 6 month old kid dies in the trauma room because of something that could have been prevented, all I want at the end of my shift is a little comfort food, a cigarette, a stiff drink and to cuddle with my kids. Are these the best options. No. Everyone deals with stress different.

Going into the healthcare field yourself, I would look at trying to educate my patient instead of judging the choices that they make. Sometimes its about the quality of someones life. If bacon makes my pt happy so be it. I would rather my pt be happy for 3 yrs than miserable for 20. Just my 2 cents.

How sad that you can not have a five minute break without a patient bleeding to death...something is not right here
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    LOL.......would you think twice about hiring a FAT lawyer? or a Fat chef??? Come on people!! Ive been a nurse my entire life, and im smart enough to know that we are all different, and I certainly know that no one is perfect either!! If you were perfect you wouldn't need us fat dysfunctional health care workers to save your *kitten* when your dying! Geeze!!!!

LOL :drinker: Thank you!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I wasnt going to reply to this topic. I was insulted when I first read it and all the negative comments. However after talking with a friend decided to answer your question and respond to some of the negative comments.

I am responsible for peoples lives every shift I work. They depend on me to keep them safe. This is stressful. Stress causes the release of cortisol. Cortisol causes 1 of 2 things. You either store fat like its nobodies business or you burn fat like its nobodies business. Nurses are typically very skinny or overweight. The rare one is inbetween. There are days I make poor choices because my option is grab a bag of chips from the vending machine or sit & eat a healthy meal while my patient bleeds out or goes into respiiratory distress.

I am fully aware like most healthcare professionals what Im doing to my body. I eat well most of the time. I work out 3 days a week. However still struggle with my weight because of cortisol levels and poor coping skills. When Ive had a day where a 6 month old kid dies in the trauma room because of something that could have been prevented, all I want at the end of my shift is a little comfort food, a cigarette, a stiff drink and to cuddle with my kids. Are these the best options. No. Everyone deals with stress different.

Going into the healthcare field yourself, I would look at trying to educate my patient instead of judging the choices that they make. Sometimes its about the quality of someones life. If bacon makes my pt happy so be it. I would rather my pt be happy for 3 yrs than miserable for 20. Just my 2 cents.

How sad that you can not have a five minute break without a patient bleeding to death...something is not right here

What an ignorant thing to say...seriously.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

That's petty and judgemental - how would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Dont piss off your nurse. We determine how fast you get your pain meds.
  • ShareeMorty
    Options
    As a RN I also lost weight during school because society makes it an issue. However, my weight doesn't mean I don't know my stuff

Well said!

I work night shift as an RN and I think that plays a big part in "fat nurses" - work that for 5 years and see what that does to your body.

Night shift eats everything! Whenever I do nights it blows my calories completely as I am constantly starving for the shift and the next day as well.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

I'm not questioning their ability to do their jobs well. I work with many wonderful people. I'm just wondering why they make the choices they do in regards to their own health when they can see firsthand how those bad decisions are impacting others.

As a healthcare professional, this is actually fairly offensive topic. There are many reasons for being overweight and it's not always a 'choice". And while I agree that smoking is gross - it's an addiction that takes time and effort to recover from. Just because someone is in a healthcare field, doesn't make them anymore than human!

Additionally, there is an extreme difference between what I do to my own body and what I inform my patients to do. For example, about a month ago I pulled my hamstring. I was running 2 days after. Would I let my patient do that? HELL NO, it would be stupid. But it's my body, my choice...and I know exactly how long/hard I can push myself.

Personally, some of my weight gain has come from the fact that I put my patients as a priority ahead of myself. I have been known to skip workouts/lunches/sleep in order to take care of my kids. Does that make me unhealthy'? Yes, it has. But has it made me a bad certified athletic trainer? NO, it actually makes me a better one. Can I still sprint across a soccer field to get to a hurt athlete? You're darn right I can...

So before you judge someone based upon an external appearance, think about this - it's targeted towards bullying, but the concept applies.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1249&bih=615&tbm=isch&tbnid=O-Etb18vZYYtJM:&imgrefurl=http://alysonmiers.wordpress.com/2012/04/&docid=M-c5ApcFxAtY6M&imgurl=http://alysonmiers.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bullying_wrong.jpg&w=320&h=320&ei=5azvT66nCqeW2gXHsLnSCg&zoom=1
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes, something is not right here. Your verbal reasoning skills in interpreting the point she was trying to make.
  • ShareeMorty
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

That's petty and judgemental - how would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Dont piss off your nurse. We determine how fast you get your pain meds.

MFP needs a like button
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

What an ignorant thing to say...seriously.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options

^^This is why I am going back to school and getting out of patient care. Noone appreciates your efforts or gives you a moments thought. Time to exit.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    it never bothered me. the only thing that concerns me is someone being weak. my father was in hospice last year and some of the staff seemed like they would have a hard time holding him up if he was about to fall.
  • tobnrn
    Options

That is the job of a nurse. Any nurse here will tell you their pt comes first. Some days are better than others. Not everyday is the same. I hope if you ever have to be hospitalized your nurse puts her lunch aside to help you.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If a person knows what they are doing and do it fine. I wouldn't see it as a problem
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be judgmental, since I'm trying to lose weight myself, and I know others may be on a weight loss journey of their own.

However, I'm currently a dietetic intern at a nursing home. Nearly every resident has some sort of nutrition related diagnoses - hypertension, type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, osteoarthrosis, GERD, IBS, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc. Of course they are all on a million different medications as well. My question is, when you are working around patients/residents who have these conditions and you can clearly see the impact of a poor diet in so many different manifestations, why wouldn't you be doing something to take control of your own health so you can avoid those things in the future? We were sitting in a meeting at 9am the other morning and I noticed an employee eating a candy bar and a bag of Doritos. At lunch a lot of people eat salads with bacon, cheese, creamy dressing, etc. Are they just oblivious or are they under the impression that "it's not going to happen to them"? A lot of the employees are very overweight as well. Why do I see so many unhealthy choices being made?

Just because you are educated in a field doesn't mean that you aren't human. I don't expect my health care professionals to be perfect, in fact if they lived perfect lives I would probably be less tolerant of them because I don't think they could really connect with the stuff that their patients are going through. My current doctor is a skinny little thing who is genetically predisposed to be tiny. The fact that she knows that I'm an avid runner who logs at least 20-30 miles a week makes her comments every time I'm in there about my "weight issues" (especially at my last visit when I'd dropped 25lbs) extremely aggravating.

I'm much more concerned that the advice they give me is valid. That's why I ditched the last doctor who responded to my pride about completing my first 5k race with the comment "you know what we need? less running and more lattes and manicures!" I'll take the skinny judgmental one over the ditzy dr. Barbie any day...though it doesn't mean that I'm able to connect with her!

Saying health care professionals have to be in great health is like saying family law lawyers and relationship therapists have to have perfect marriages, or chefs in 5 star restaurants can never eat fast food. Your job is your job, you are still allowed to be as flawed as the rest of us!
  • tobnrn
    Options
    If a person knows what they are doing and do it fine. I wouldn't see it as a problem

Exactly. Its our job to educate people. The ultimate decision is theirs. Just like it is ours.

Sometimes its about quality of life. I love bacon. It makes me happy. ;)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

I don't mean to be judgemental, but why are you here? Many of the people on this website are here actively making a change. Many of the people here have been judged and accused of being lazy or incompetent because of their weight. You know what? When I was younger and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which I had NO control over) I decided that I would never be able to lose weight and I ate what I wanted. It wasn't a good idea, but at that time, weight loss felt so unachievable. There could be many reasons, like not having time to work out or cook, or even lack of education. There are many misconceptions about weight loss, and you don't have the full story.

But please, don't imply incompetence based on a small sliver of the life you see your fellow employees lead.

Well, I've addressed this numerous times, but nowhere did I imply incompetence based on a persons weight. I, like you, am here because I've struggled with weight and I'm trying to make a change. You will notice I acknowledged in my original post that I understand people have all sorts of things going on in their lives that could be contributing to their weight. It's not necessarily the fact that someone is overweight, but the unhealthy choices I see people making. I work in a nursing home, which is not as high stress of an environment as a hospital, and many of the people I work with do only work 9-5, so the weird hours thing people keep talking about doesn't really apply to the things I'm observing.

I'm sorry you were upset by the way you interpreted what I wrote.