My goal is to be FIT, NOT SKINNY!

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Do I want to be SKINNY?
    No thank you! I'd rather be FIT! Skinny to me could equate to illness and sickness. It doesn't always equate to healthy. There are SKINNY Aids and Cancer victims.
    Skinny people can be unhealthy and NOT fit. I think I've heard a word for that called Skinny -fat. It's very sad when I hear women say they want to be skinny. I know it may be a word and just semantics- I just cringe when I hear it. Can anyone relate? My goal is always to be fit and healthy.

Skinny doesn't always equate to beauty. I've also seen gorgeous "fat" people. I hate that women especially are so brainwashed. I am cuter when I am fit- but I also know that I could be 130lbs and still not look perfect, I will still have a longer that I'd prefer face, a bigger than I'd want nose, and bags under my eyes that unless I go under the knife, are genetic features.

Skinny doesn't equate to having a perfect life. No one has a perfect life. Your life may be easier if you are fit- but your problems still don't go away magically. If you have depression or anxiety when you are overweight, unless you get therapy, chances are the depresison/anxiety will still continue. Weight loss doesn't change that- your MIND is what makes or breaks you.

People do not love you more if you are fit. If they do, they are not the quality people you'd want in your life anyway and you'd deserve more.

If people judge you, that's their issue, but remember skinny does not equate to beauty or necessarily good physical or mental health. You have to WORK hard to be fit- even thin people have to work hard to be fit.

How do you want your life? Anyone get me? :) If so msg me, add me, always up for new friends! :)

I think you make some good points. Yes, you can be fit and skinny... You can also be unhealthy and skinny... skinny is the term that is unrelated to healthiness... fitness, is the consistent point of health. Can one be unhealthy and fit? possible but unlikely.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    make that LESS likely
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just so you know I didn't take it any other way than you meant it, I saw an example on a talk show that had one
    skinny woman and one woman seemingly over weight. They had a fitness competition and the seemingly over
    weight person one the fitness competition.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just so you know I didn't take it any other way than you meant it, I saw an example on a talk show that had one
    skinny woman and one woman seemingly over weight. They had a fitness competition and the seemingly over
    weight person one the fitness competition.

My coworker is overweight and gets a better time on her mile than me. But guess who hasn't menstruated in over 5 months and has a horrid cholesterol level? Not me.

But she is 23 and I'm 36...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    OP, If your point was to convey that women of all sizes are beautiful then you should have titled the thread so rather than My goal is to be FIT NOT SKINNY! That was a big mistake.
    You can be skinny and fit, overweight and fit. You need some skinniness if you want to be able to see the muscles you work hard for.
    I read how you lost 125lbs and won $10,000 that was great. You must have felt bad gaining back 50. Glad you are dropping it again and are still free of diabetes.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thin is fine. fit is fine. overweight is not.

but what if you are overweight and fit? :ohwell:

if you are overweight you are not fit.

What a ridiculous statement. What defines fit?

Heart rate?, Blood pressure?, cholesterol?, abilty to run 10K?, ability to do 100 push ups?

o i dont know...how about all the things we associate with being overweight? disease, stress on the body etc...

What a rude things to say. I was considered over weight at 130 cuz of my height. But I was prob a hell of alot better in shape then someone in normal range. Bmi scales are a load of ****. And my step dad had high blood pressure cuz it runs in the family but I bet he's in better shape then some other ppl. Unless ur a doctor and u no this persons medical history quit being a asd and keep ur opinion to urself

I agree, what was said is rude. I'm considered obese because of my height. I can run a faster mile than I could when I weighed 100 pounds and wasn't having menstrual cycles, and as of now I have text book perfect blood pressure and heart rate, do not have asthma or high cholesterol or high triglycerides or insulin. I also am "disease" free, whatever that means...so basically my body is under no stress with my being "obese".

On a side note, I'm really discouraged by the snark and general negative attitude towards the OP. I work in a social services field and at one point was doing residential treatment for adolescents. The majority of the girls want to be "skinny" and suffered from ED. we would always try encourage health. We never used the terms thin, skinny, fat...etc. these are triggering terms for many people. There is nothing wrong with being thin, but in our society there is EVERYTHING wrong with being overweight, women are constantly scrutinized for any amount of weight gain or for not obtaining a beauty standard that is based on lies. When a women is accepting of her body, rather than have encouragement, she's told by people who usually aren't doctors that they're promoting an unhealthy lifestyle and that fat acceptance is unacceptable. There may be people that are accepting of all bodies, but the majority tends to be against "fat" people. That being said, women who are stigmatized as anorexics also have to deal with the constant barrage of negative labels. If you can't be objective and see perspective, really see and understand it, an Internet forum is not a good place for you to share your opinions.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along? :flowerforyou:

At the end of the day, health and how we feel about ourselves are the important factors, rather than a particular weight. We can all agree on that, right?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i know this isnt exactly analogous but a smoker can get a clean bill of health but if they keep it up there will be a very good chance that it negatively affects their health. so please dont delude yourselves into thinking that if you are obese with good blood work right now it will always be that way.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think everyone needs to take a kit kat break. yes? Okay , good :drinker:
  • suziecue66
    Options
    i know this isnt exactly analogous but a smoker can get a clean bill of health but if they keep it up there will be a very good chance that it negatively affects their health. so please dont delude yourselves into thinking that if you are obese with good blood work right now it will always be that way.

Also don't delude yourself that if you are slim that you are automatically immune from heart issues.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

ETA: Well, I thought you were new, but apparently you've been on here for quite a while and have only lost 7 pounds? I took out my previous paragraph. I have to wonder, though, if perhaps you might be a bit resentful of others who have been able to lose weight and get "skinnier", and that might have something to do with your post? Just a thought...

Burn!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Can't we all just get along? :flowerforyou:

At the end of the day, health and how we feel about ourselves are the important factors, rather than a particular weight. We can all agree on that, right?

Yes!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Also don't delude yourself that if you are slim that you are automatically immune from heart issues.

seriously. its always shocking when an elite athlete dies in their prime of a heart attack. or even the seemingly healthy 25 year old co worker.

but of course the odds of these things happen to go up with the more stress we put on our bodies.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

If one is going to get sick being fat, thin, a stick, whatever ain't gonna save you. Cancer gets everyone. I've lost so many loved ones and friends.....it's in what we eat, all that junk in the food. Nothing keeps it away.
  • suziecue66
    Options

seriously. its always shocking when an elite athlete dies in their prime of a heart attack. or even the seemingly healthy 25 year old co worker.

but of course the odds of these things happen to go up with the more stress we put on our bodies.

I think it's stress - over-exercising is a major stressor like being overweight a stressor on joints, muscles, can affect circulation, BP, heart needs to work harder etc. Work/life stress another.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but I want (and AM now, thanks to MFP!) to be skinny.
    I want to be fit to. But honestly it is most important to me to be skinny.

Statements about how other people should think are ignorant. :angry:

I know you mean well but get off your soapbox.:mad:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    AMEN!! I couldn't have said it any better myself! I HATE the word skinny! I just posted that on Facebook the other day too lol
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people need to take a chill pill and actually read this stuff. Stop attacking eat other. Her point is that SHE feels that SHE wants to be fit, rather than skinny, and argued her point. Some people agree with her, some don't. (SHOCKER!) Settle the frick down.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    FIT women are usually preferred than skinny......lol i know my choice
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but I want (and AM now, thanks to MFP!) to be skinny.
    I want to be fit to. But honestly it is most important to me to be skinny.

Statements about how other people should think are ignorant. :angry:

I know you mean well but get off your soapbox.:mad:

That's your opinion, and she's not on a soapbox. She's stating her opinion about how she would RATHER be fit than skinny, and that a lot of women are deluded into thinking that the skeletal look automatically means healthy.