My goal is to be FIT, NOT SKINNY!

Options

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I am just over 180 lbs. I am obese right now according to my BMI. My mom is 120 lbs and considered at the low end of healthy by BMI standards. I'm 5'7", she's 5'5" so she is very skinny. BUT, I am way more fit than she is. I can run and lift weights. Sure, she can walk 10 miles, but I can run 2, bike 10+, lift and I try to put better foods in my body. Plus, while I still have a lot of fat to lose, you can see my tone forming and she has virtually none.

BUT because she is skinny, she gets hit on and told she's beautiful and I am just her fat daughter. I get a lot of "good for you for trying" when I have dedicated myself to a healthy and fit lifestyle. And my ultimate goal is to fit into a size 6/8, regardless of the number on the scale, whereas my mom freaks out of she gains a pound or two in water weight. I want to be HEALTHY not SKINNY. If you can be skinny and healthy, good for you, but I want to be curvy and healthy. Luckily, I have a husband who appreciates my curvy beauty but skinny is definitely overplayed.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but I want (and AM now, thanks to MFP!) to be skinny.
    I want to be fit to. But honestly it is most important to me to be skinny.

Statements about how other people should think are ignorant. :angry:

I know you mean well but get off your soapbox.:mad:

It's more important for you to be skinny than fit? I'm interested as to why you feel like that. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that I can't even imagine why anyone would have that viewpoint???

Fit and healthy has a thousand advantages, whereas skinny is surely about just how others see you. I don't get it
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I didnt mention BMI. i didnt say everyone who is overweight has every medical condition known to man.

I'm saying if you are carrying an extra 20, 30, 50 lbs etc...then you are not fit.

how am i wrong?

Because despite me having a BMI of 35 I also have a resting heart rate of 57? Puting me firmly in the athlete range. I also have perfect blood test results.

Now I'm not saying I want to remain here. I want to continue losing weight because the excess 30kg is not good for my body. But I am fit NOW. I am healthy NOW. Every test my doctor has given me shows this. It doesn't mean I will remain that way if I stay at my current weight but I am healthy and fit.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I didnt mention BMI. i didnt say everyone who is overweight has every medical condition known to man.

I'm saying if you are carrying an extra 20, 30, 50 lbs etc...then you are not fit.

how am i wrong?

Because despite me having a BMI of 35 I also have a resting heart rate of 57? Puting me firmly in the athlete range. I also have perfect blood test results.

Now I'm not saying I want to remain here. I want to continue losing weight because the excess 30kg is not good for my body. But I am fit NOW. I am healthy NOW. Every test my doctor has given me shows this. It doesn't mean I will remain that way if I stay at my current weight but I am healthy and fit.

it can take time for the negatives of being overweight to show up. if being 30kg overweight was fit and healthy you would never have a problem.

being 30kg overweight is NOT healthy.

again this is why there is an obesity problem. people just dont seem to grasp how unhealthy being obese is.
  • Wonderob
    Options

how am i wrong?

it can take time for the negatives of being overweight to show up. if being 30kg overweight was fit and healthy you would never have a problem.

again this is why there is an obesity problem. people just dont seem to grasp how unhealthy being obese is.
    Oh surely people realise by now that you can't possibly tell how healthy a person is by their weight! If you can then presumably I can give you a height and a weight and you can tell me if they are a healthy weight or not?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

how am i wrong?

Oh surely people realise by now that you can't possibly tell how healthy a person is by their weight! If you can then presumably I can give you a height and a weight and you can tell me if they are a healthy weight or not?

try me!

220px-Carnac.jpg
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Deleted.
  • Wonderob
    Options

how am i wrong?

try me!

220px-Carnac.jpg
    5' 9 and 270 lbs

Good luck
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Fit ppl are usually skinny. just sayin.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

how am i wrong?

try me!

220px-Carnac.jpg
    5' 9 and 270 lbs

Good luck

Rose Bowl
    What do you say when it's Rose's turn at the bowling alley?

and i hope you didnt think i was serious. of course you cant tell exactly how healthy a person is from their weight. but you can get a good idea of how unhealthy they are by their BF%.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Rose Bowl

and i hope you didnt think i was serious. of course you cant tell exactly how healthy a person is from their weight. but you can get a good idea of how unhealthy they are by their BF%.

Exactly, there is no way you can tell how healthy someone is by their weight. 'overweight' is an arbitrary figure, so 30lbs overweight does NOT mean Unhealthy!

By the way the 5' 9 example who is 270 lbs is Phil Heath, the 2011 Mr. Universe who according to the charts is about 120 lbs overweight
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Fit ppl are usually skinny. just sayin.
    oh God, really?

Then someone should tell Wladimir Klitschko who is NOT skinny!

In fact nobody at my gym is skinny either!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Rose Bowl

Exactly, there is no way you can tell how healthy someone is by their weight. 'overweight' is an arbitrary figure, so 30lbs overweight does NOT mean Unhealthy!

By the way the 5' 9 example who is 270 lbs is Phil Heath, the 2011 Mr. Universe who according to the charts is about 120 lbs overweight

like i said weight is not a good measure of health. its body fat %. so if i mistakenly said weight before please disregard. i just meant if you were to add 30 lbs of fat to someone who is a healthy weight then they are no longer healthy in most cases. there could be an exception like with the bodybuilder you mention. you could probably add 30 lbs to him and he'd go from 8% to 15% BF or something.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Everyone is honestly being immature here. Everyone has their OWN opinion, now stop with the nonsense. It makes MFP look ridiculous, and it's even sadder when everyone knows that the forums are the worst place to go on here because of the STUPIDITY and IMMATURENESS. Everyone is not all of a sudden a PhD when they come on a website, and if you actually are one, well whoopie-****ing-doo. The OP wants to be fit.

I want to be skinny. You might want to look strong. I don't. So, what? I may not look "fit", but I damn well will be the image in my head!

And who says being skinny is all unhealthy? Technically, fit people are "skinny". But in a more toned way. We all have our opinions. It's like everyone is shoving down a religion down each other's throats!

Let people do their thing, and you do your own thing. And don't say "___ started it!". It takes two to tango. And most of you on here are being absolutely rude to one another! Come on!

Be mature for once! This website is for support and weight loss. Not a website where you can act like you're a doctor and be a ***** to everyone! So, calm the hell down, and get over yourself. Everyone needs to stop thinking that they "have to win at an argument", both accept each other's opinion and move on with life!
  • Wonderob
    Options

Rose Bowl

like i said weight is not a good measure of health. its body fat %. so if i mistakenly said weight before please disregard. i just meant if you were to add 30 lbs of fat to someone who is a healthy weight then they are no longer healthy in most cases. there could be an exception like with the bodybuilder you mention. you could probably add 30 lbs to him and he'd go from 8% to 15% BF or something.

Yeah I agree, 30 lbs of excess fat is not healthy
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am trying to LIFT up overweight people who feel that their lives will be SO much better and perfect once they lose weight.

Lifting up overweight people by pointing out that skinny people might not be fit or healthy? You are somehow superior to those that didn't have to work for it? Some of us have other goals in life, we might be working towards being a bit more generous in accepting that we all have different values and priorities. We might be helping and encouraging others to reach their goals.

Good luck to you.

You totally missed her point.

It's about aiming to be fit and healthy, and to not JUST be skinny. THAT'S the point.

Her point was to put people down because they dare be thin. Thats it. And I won't lower myself to anyone's level and call someone "fat", I'm sure she has enough issues without me adding to them.

You don't know my point because you are NOT me- my point was NOT to put down ANYONE thin! Not at all! It was to tell overweight people that they don't have to strive to be skinny- that fit is much better to strive for because it's more realistic for many of us. Such a shame you don't get me ! LOL
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Last week we neede the water cooler bottle changing so I just walked down and then carried the full botte up 3 flights of stairs. The men were gobsmacked. It's funny sometimes to show off your strength when people assume because you have a layer of lard that you are unfit.

The water thing is hilarious, everyone thinks women can't carry the bottle. I worked in an office where every time I tried to change the water bottle, the men would come running. They always spilled the water because they weren't really strong enough to get up there. I never did. ;) Little did they know, I have been moving those water bottles since I was 8.
  • jadedone
    Options
    One of the biggest reasons we have so many body image issues, is that people are always trying to pit one body type against another. It isn't a competition. All body types are valuable and worthy of praise, high self-esteem and positive acknowledgement.
  • jadedone
    Options
    get over yourself. i'm not shallow. i'm just telling it like it is. even if that person meets your criteria right now he wont in the long run. thats why people are trying to lose extra body fat. because they are not fit.

you have a very distorted view of health and fitness. its this acceptance that being fat is ok under the right cicrumstances that is one of the reasons we are such a fat nation.

I agree, just adding something from Stanford Medical. "not limited to"?
    Obesity has a far-ranging negative effect on health. Each year obesity-related conditions cost over 150 billion dollars and cause an estimated 300,000 premature deaths in the US. The health effects associated with obesity include, but are not limited to, the following:

high blood pressure - Additional fat tissue in the body needs oxygen and nutrients in order to live, which requires the blood vessels to circulate more blood to the fat tissue. This increases the workload of the heart because it must pump more blood through additional blood vessels. More circulating blood also means more pressure on the artery walls. Higher pressure on the artery walls increases the blood pressure. In addition, extra weight can raise the heart rate and reduce the body's ability to transport blood through the vessels.

diabetes - Obesity is the major cause of type 2 diabetes. This type of diabetes usually begins in adulthood but, is now actually occurring in children. Obesity can cause resistance to insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar. When obesity causes insulin resistance, the blood sugar becomes elevated. Even moderate obesity dramatically increases the risk of diabetes.
    heart disease - Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) is present 10 times more often in obese people compared to those who are not obese. Coronary artery disease is also more prevalent because fatty deposits build up in arteries that supply the heart. Narrowed arteries and reduced blood flow to the heart can cause chest pain (angina) or a heart attack. Blood clots can also form in narrowed arteries and cause a stroke.

joint problems, including osteoarthritis - Obesity can affect the knees and hips because of the stress placed on the joints by extra weight. Joint replacement surgery, while commonly performed on damaged joints, may not be an advisable option for an obese person because the artificial joint has a higher risk of loosening and causing further damage.

sleep apnea and respiratory problems - Sleep apnea, which causes people to stop breathing for brief periods, interrupts sleep throughout the night and causes sleepiness during the day. It also causes heavy snoring. Respiratory problems associated with obesity occur when added weight of the chest wall squeezes the lungs and causes restricted breathing. Sleep apnea is also associated with high blood pressure.

cancer - In women, being overweight contributes to an increased risk for a variety of cancers including breast, colon, gallbladder, and uterus. Men who are overweight have a higher risk of colon and prostate cancers.

metabolic syndrome - The National Cholesterol Education Program has identified metabolic syndrome as a complex risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Metabolic syndrome consists of six major components: abdominal obesity, elevated blood cholesterol, elevated blood pressure, insulin resistance with or without glucose intolerance, elevation of certain blood components that indicate inflammation, and elevation of certain clotting factors in the blood. In the US, approximately one-third of overweight or obese persons exhibit metabolic syndrome.

psychosocial effects - In a culture where often the ideal of physical attractiveness is to be overly thin, people who are overweight or obese frequently suffer disadvantages. Overweight and obese persons are often blamed for their condition and may be considered to be lazy or weak-willed. It is not uncommon for overweight or obese conditions to result in persons having lower incomes or having fewer or no romantic relationships. Disapproval of overweight persons expressed by some individuals may progress to bias, discrimination, and even torment.

Actually, people have decided to make obesity the scapegoat for these problems. Other than osteoarthritis and similar joint problems, all of those so called chronic conditions attributed to obesity can be eliminated by staying active and eating well. And people who are not overweight and are not active or eating well have similar risks of being afflicted by those same disorders.

If obesity cause all of the conditions above than no one who wasn't overweight (or overfat) would have these conditions. This is not the case at all.

There is quite a bit of recent evidence that says waist size is a better predictor of risk for many of the chronic conditions above than weight. Carrying extra weight in you hips and thighs is extremely low risk for chronic conditions. Excess abdominal fat is higher risk, and afflicts people in all weight classes.

Psychosocial issues? That's BS since every study of women's health shows distorted body image for women of all sizes. Sadly this impacts most women who have access to western media in any form. Although there is more discrimination and prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals, many people have society induced body image problems.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

It's more important for you to be skinny than fit? I'm interested as to why you feel like that. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that I can't even imagine why anyone would have that viewpoint???

Fit and healthy has a thousand advantages, whereas skinny is surely about just how others see you. I don't get it

I want to be skinny, not fit. :indifferent:

I don't want to have hard arms, abs, etc. I want to look soft-- and I want to be skinny. I suppose what you would call "skinny fat". I like the idea of looking soft and tiny and fragile. I don't want to look hard and strong. Just a preference. I'm not going to lie- I'm doing this for vanity's sake. Go ahead, I'll be the first one to say it. I don't mind. D:

*ducks tomatoes*

That being said, I'm doing this the healthy way, because I care about my body. That's just not my motivation.