Stop bashing!

Options
124»

Replies

• blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about posting a thread just like this. I'm glad someone else stepped up to the plate :) Well said OP!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ive never seen any bashing going on and Ive been on this site for a few years. Maybe I missed it (thank goodness) or it was a rare random thing.

Pretty sad if so.
    It is not rare and it is not random. I've used this site for logging for about 1 1/2 years. I've only been active in the forums for a few months. I see bullying, bashing, name calling, and derogatory comments AT LEAST once a day, generally more often than that. It's happening WITHIN this thread if you pay attention...need I say more RunFatBoyRun?! This site is full of bullies who sit behind their computer screens judging people, starting posts to belittle people, etc.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    did people really just get fiesty over someone saying that people should stop degrading each other? WOW
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you bashing the bashers? Does it feel a little weird?

OP didn't say who the bashers were. So the answer is no.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Whomever has time for this needs to re-purpose their life.
    I don't really see that much of it frankly if you consider the number of people making random comments to random folks.
    I expect most people ignore the nonsense and receive and give as they can. What we don't need is more regulation, so
    let it flow as it may and receive the benefits all.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    did people really just get fiesty over someone saying that people should stop degrading each other? WOW

sounds like the mods need to break out the banhammer!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all the comments. It's absolutely deplorable and does nothing but discourage and destroy those that already feel shameful about the way they look.

As a former personal trainer, I have seen too many times individuals who were so uncomfortable talking to someone about weight loss, let alone opening the door of a fitness center. I would spend a lot of time working to make them comfortable and feel welcome. As I would show them around, I would introduce them to people just like them.

It's bad enough out there in our home towns, at work, at church .... everywhere, but on here. Talk about a bunch of hypocrites that bash others that are overweight. I'm sure most of the bashers had what they would consider a weight issue or over fat issue.

I commend all those who put it out there, shed light on their problem, and want to be held accountable and encouraged by their "peers."
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I STILL would feel funny opening the doors to go into a fitness center or gym...like everybody would laugh at me and I've been thin a loooong time...
  • almostatgoalweight
    Options
    Bashing/negative comments are the reason why I'll never post a photo on myfitnesspal.
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've yet to see any bashing. Adults are not carebears, sometimes they have not so polite opinions. Perhaps people are just taking things the wrong way?
  • almostatgoalweight
    Options
    One thing people might want to consider is if you don't want to be bashed about what you're doing, or the way you look, get a weight loss blog! I mean on a website like blogger, rather than here. It would be fair to say that the people who are on weight loss blogs are generally nicer people than on forums.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Internet.

Here people are mean.

The end.
  • PurpleAmharicCoffee
    Options
    Hence the reason why my cat is my profile picture. When I lose more weight, I'll make a cartoon picture of myself.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    So the bashers get bashed, hypocritical don't you think?

Not bashing but you can’t blame people for correcting others when they post ridiculous and complete nonsensical content. Honestly, some of the facts posted on here are complete garbage so that will attract comment from others.

Granted, it isn’t done in the best way possible but if you are starting a thread then at least get the facts right otherwise you are leaving yourself open as flame bait.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    So the bashers get bashed, hypocritical don't you think?

Not bashing but you can’t blame people for correcting others when they post ridiculous and complete nonsensical content. Honestly, some of the facts posted on here are complete garbage so that will attract comment from others.

Granted, it isn’t done in the best way possible but if you are starting a thread then at least get the facts right otherwise you are leaving yourself open as flame bait.

Did you read the thread? This post was not in reference to misinformation. This is more about body image bashing.

There was a LOT of "I don't see a difference," "You look anorexic," (that one could offend not only the OP, but actual sufferers of EDs), etc. and I guess overweight bashing (I didn't see that, but I believe it was there) going around.

This post was way before the stuff like "hot liquids melt fat."
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    im another one who must have missed enough bashing to warrant a 'stop bashing' thread.
    oh wells.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The thing that is perplexing to me is that I will see someone say something personally attacking to another person that they don't even know (an unsuspecting person that has not yet developed an obsessive body complex or maybe they thought they had already overcome one a long time ago), and then when that person is trying to stand up for themselves the original attacker will act as if they are being attacked and marginalized by the whole of society. I am astounded by the lack of empathy a person has to not see how they themselves are the ones attacking a stranger's body and essentially telling the stranger that no less than body perfection is acceptable (but I don't think they even realize that's what they are arguing for because they are ignorant of different body types). If they are in fact trying to be helpful there are ways of doing that without calling the woman a hurtful insult.

I've even see someone tell a very young women that was struggling with anorexia that she must be skinny fat, not having the insight to understand that when that girl said her body fat % was going up that she probably meant it went up from 12% to 13% in her bodies desperate attempt to regain hormonal equilibrium.

I saw another person try to use starving children in Africa as proof of the starvation mode. This person said that starving children in Africa have skinny bodies and fat bellies. No, they do not have fat bellies!!! Their bellies are swollen and distended from organ failure. I read these things and did not know how to respond, but reading it has stuck with me and I have thought about it.

But, I can't help to think that when people are hurling insults back and forth that maybe we are all guilty of falling into the trap of rebuttal. So, on the other hand it is good to let some things go and try and move forward, taking with us the good things we learned and ignoring the rest of the nonsense.