WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Welcome to all of our new Members! I wish you each great success here! Come back often and tell us more about yourselves:flowerforyou:

YES...THE HEAT!!! I normally do one of Leslie S's walking DVDs and J. Michaels 30 day shred. NORMALLY. And I will today, but haven't done them past 3 days. Away at my parents and then cleaning up after the "GUY"S" weekend. They did a nice job, but just lots of sheets, towels, food leftovers....unfortunately, took care of some leftover cookies the old way...they are in my stomach:grumble:

Today is a new DAY...so...

JULY GOALS:

-Back to doing my exercise DVDs in this heat
    -Fit in weight training during this busy month of travel and wedding
    -Make it through the wedding weekend in moderation and enjoy my family and friends, not over-indulging with food & drink:tongue:
    -LOG ALLLLLLLLLLL of my food and drink
    -MORE WATER, MORE WATER:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :love: :love: Count my BLESSINGS EVERY day:love::love:

Stay cool:heart: Kackie
  • Kppr59
    Kppr59 Posts: 12
    Options
    Good morning, all. What is everyone doing for the holiday? My sister and I are driving into NYC to have lunch and see Mary Poppins on Broadway. I have picked out the restaurant and decided what I am going to have so I know I can stay on track. The tough part is the drive down. We typically stop and Dunkin Donuts and get something for the drive. So, last night I made Strawberry Shortcake muffins, a recipe I found on these boards and are also here: http://dashingdish.com/recipe/strawberry-shortcake-muffins/

They came out really well and our plan is to have those in the car instead of stopping at DD so we won't feel deprived of our "ritual." And I think that will hold us over until our early lunch. The walking in the city should be good for us too. :)

Enjoy the holiday, everyone!

Kathy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :noway: Two pages since I was here yesterday...WOW! Happy Tuesday All:flowerforyou:

katiejkelley- you are in good company walking your dog, there are several here that walk their dogs and Barbie is our example of how dog walking really does keep you in shape:drinker:

adams243-heading out to do a 3K...have plenty of water handy:drinker: that's awesome that you are going to participate:drinker:

sissygok- great goals, I find when I seem to stray to the cupboards looking if I head to the computer and look up success stories on the topics it inspires me to stay away from what I shouldn't have:wink:

DeeDee- with the heat I head to the basement where we have all our exercise equipment, but if you don't have that option there are always exercise DVD's and if you have cable you can get exercise channels, it looks like you are managing to get in plenty of water and that's really important in the heat:drinker:

laniv- there are a lot of teachers on here and you are in good company:flowerforyou: House cleaning is something that I really need to get to and I'm not a teacher...but with hubby unemployed he is doing the housework for now and it's just not the same:wink:

Megblair1- Welcome:flowerforyou: this is a great place to get the encouragement you will need on your journey. There are several here that have lost and maintain their loss that are in the #100 loss area. Come back often and let us get to know you:flowerforyou:

Jen- am exercise and then tennis with your sister after work...you are quite to go getter:flowerforyou:

Mimi- you are too funny:laugh: 2 days:laugh: I do remember it was quite a bit of time before I had gotten back into the routine of logging my food and then checking in here to get the added inspiration to keep going:flowerforyou: You know how much we have missed your posts...so keep coming back and keep us up to date on what's been happening with you:happy:

RaysfanATL- you are in good company here:flowerforyou: as we all understand the gain and then the loss and the 5 months:wink:

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: there are a lot of you, hope you will keep coming back so we can get to know you better.

I got to the office today and realized that I had forgotten my salad, so I will have to change some of what I'd been planning to eat for lunch:grumble:

Sure am looking forward to my four days off so I can get in some bike rides outside. They are starting to talk about our Monsoon season starting, which means we will be clouding up each afternoon and then have rain, it's so badly needed here in Colorado that we are all looking forward to it. So the mornings should be cool enough for bike rides before the heat hits each day.

I found my 2010 inspiration braclet last night. I had looked for it and didn't remember where the safe place was that I had put it. Well now it's back on my wrist to remind me all the time..."DREAMS BECOME REALITY ONE CHOICE AT A TIME" and I have a feeling I won't be taking it off anytime soon.

Everyone have a great day, log that food, move your body and drink plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • CarrieLynneKilbourne
    Options
    Good Morning..... :blushing: I am new at this. My friend signed me up for myfitnesspal last Dec. and I decided to give it a try. I'm a little slow on the get go!:ohwell: I will be 50 in Sept. and after reading through everyone's comment, I believe this is the place for me. It's time for a change and I know this will be a very useful tool. My goals for July are to become aware and be honest about what I actually put into my mouth! Using the food diary is a real eye opener. My second goal is to get up off my bumm and get moving at least 3 days per week and log that progress. Ahhhhh! I look forward to getting to know you all! :flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    WOW you guys are amazing! I was looking at everyone's tickers and the amount of weight you have all lost! Holy cow that is inspiring!

I am a professor of nursing, so I have the summer off (yay). I had very big goals for exercising, but it seems like one thing or another gets in the way. I did manage to exercise several times a week before I got this cold I have, but not at the intensity I would like. I'm trying to work up to going back to step class twice a week.

I tore my calf muscle for the 3rd time last year and it affected my knee, I was on crutches, etc for quite a while. When I started step class again, my leg/knee hurt so badly I could hardly stand it, but kept going (dumb, huh?). I went to a physical therapist who is also a personal trainer who told me to lay off the step class until I lose some weight and get more in shape, and to start more gently, so that is what I have been doing. Mostly walking (1 mile at a time) and/or 15 minutes of eliptical. I used to swim, but have torn ligaments in both shoulders, but they seem to be improving, so that's on my wish list too!

Well enough about me....I am glad to be here and wish everyone a great and healthy 4th of July. Not sure what will happen tomorrow with food; we are going to an all-evening party, so I don't have total control over what I eat. I'll try to be sensible and watch my portions. Thanks for being here and offering such great support. Meg
  • BettyLucille
    BettyLucille Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like you goals. I share the idea of making peace with yourself.
    That's what I have done. I turned 55 this year. It's all good.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Ritter had his balls cut yesterday so today he is wearing the "cone of shame" an looking absolutely miserable. I had to stay home and work virtual to monitor him. He is a champ but it is hard to keep a rambunctious puppy calm for 2 weeks while he heals.

I have been getting and average of 11000 steps a day. I am feeling good about that. Glad I have a dreadmill since it is raining cats and dogs today. (Unusual up here where we often just see mist and not real rain)

Welcome back Mimi. missed you as always.

Have a great day ladies.

Robin, Bodi boy and a sore Ritter Bit.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Lovies! Im back :bigsmile: Been off the post for a bit! Out of town for a week but still staying with the program, hoping to get the fam to a day spay today :blushing: we shall see how that goes!

HEY my old and dear friend Dar has found us!!!!! YAY Dar!!!!! Love you!!!!!!!! You will LOVE this group of women, this is the BEST!!!!!!!

Well off to try and book a massage! Stay happy ladies and have a great day and rink your water!!!!

Love Kat :heart: :heart:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Ritter had his balls cut yesterday so today he is wearing the "cone of shame" an looking absolutely miserable. I had to stay home and work virtual to monitor him. He is a champ but it is hard to keep a rambunctious puppy calm for 2 weeks while he heals.

I have been getting and average of 11000 steps a day. I am feeling good about that. Glad I have a dreadmill since it is raining cats and dogs today. (Unusual up here where we often just see mist and not real rain)

Welcome back Mimi. missed you as always.

Have a great day ladies.

Robin, Bodi boy and a sore Ritter Bit.

Did you mean TREADmill? Although I must say, I like DREADmill better! :glasses:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

Did you mean TREADmill? Although I must say, I like DREADmill better! :glasses:

It was not a typo. It is what I call it. Always have.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers.
    Michele I'm taking before and after pictures,Of the backyard so I will post when I'm done. It looks like it it is going to be
    a long project with very little time off. So do a hour here and a hour there.
    Things are going going to be tough for the next 3 weeks at work. Working 2 extra days each week. That's the ones I know about. But I guess at the end of July I get my vacation. Company just refuses to hire anyone.all about the share holders. Sorry just venting last 2 days have been really exhausting.and I have 3 more to go. Since I work 12 hour shifts steps is what I'm tracking this month. And I upped my calories to 1450.

Everyone have a great 4th

Joyce

Goals
    water water water
    walk -12000 steps
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Barbara I agree with weighing my food.
    Is it me or has anyone else notice Dr. Oz is like all the magazines diet of the week?
    Joyce
  • janiceover
    janiceover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am new here!!! I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada and have been a member of MFP for all of 10 days! I am enjoying the support that this site offers!
    My goal this month is to get more running in....I have signed up for a 1/2 Marathon in October ( I am a new runner! ) and I want to get more organized with running schedules and times.
    I workout at the gym with a trainer, 4x weekly, and I have been doing that for 2 months. I find that I need the accountability in order for me to stay on track!!
    This past weekend was certainly a challenge, eating wise, with Canada Day and several family birthdays!! However, I feel by tracking my food, whether it be good choices or bad choices, I am able to see where I am with calories, and it makes me think twice.
    I turn 50 in a couple more weeks....so I am excited to be involved with this group!!!
    I look forward to continuing on with this group, and I feel inspired by all of your great weight losses!!!
    Janice:smile:
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know it is just a baby step but I am so proud of myself....One of my July goals was to talk to a trainer at our gym and find out about setting up a weekly session with her. So yesterday when it was fresh in my mind I did just that...she will be on vaca all next week but I will start the week of July 16th with an evaluation and then will start an hour long session with her once a week. I want to get a fitness routine that I can repeat myself when we go to the gym.

Logged my food yesterday and today and as a poster said earlier today, that is the way to get back in the game. I know that poster has a name but in a brief moment of temporary senior fog, I have forgotten who it was...sorry.

Working on drinking water today...it is hard for me to do on my non gym days but I am trying to tick those goals off one by one this month.:flowerforyou:

Have a great day today and be sure to smile...:happy:
    XOSissy:flowerforyou:

P.S. I'm back and I remember now that it was Mimi who posted about logging her food for 2 days...Just wanted to let you all know that I have not completely lost it...LOL
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi evryone marking spot for later.

Welcomeback Mimi :flowerforyou:

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: going to bed now I'm so tired, but will be up at silly oclock to walk the doggies (love that expession) :bigsmile:

Yay me I've found some exercises on you tube that I have been doingt the last few days, so back into the exercise routine.

Computer playing silly devils so will catch up with you in the morning.

Viv
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't exactly stay with my plan during June, but I did pretty much maintain, so that's a victory right there :smile: Goals for July are to get back in the habit of logging my food and increase my activity. You would think with fresh veggies and fruits, it should be easy to eat healthy this time of year. Too many social occasions however. I guess another goal should be to better plan for those. Happy Independence Day everyone :drinker:
  • janicemitchellcross
    janicemitchellcross Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi just sawthis thead on one of mfp friends posts and I would love to join.My daughter is getting married on July28th and I need all the support I can get.
    MY JULY GOALS

To drink more water
    exercise daily
    eat healthier
    remain calm
    enjoy this special time

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Janice
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Fairly new here and just found this thread. I am 54 and my goals for July is to just stay on track and get in exercise at least 4 days a week.

I am really enjoying what this site offers!!

Nice to meet you!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    HI All,
    I have missed you guys. Life got in that way...it has a way of sneaking up on you!!! I know that I need to do my check in every day. My goals for June helped me to focus. I did good on 2 out of 3 goals. I drank my 64 oz or more of water daily. I did take care of my knees (had the appt with the orthopaedic doc and start PT on Monday). My last goal was to plan meals ahead and stick to the plan.....I had more trouble with this but I would predict that I was on target 70% of the time. What surprised me was how easy it was let go of healthy habits. As you said in an earlier post, Kackie, I also need to be here all the time or I am in big trouble.

I have been to the gym two days in a row.....Tomorrow I am planning to go in the morning--- now to menu plan for tomorrow!

Have a great night...I am so glad you all are here.

Thanks Barbie for keeping this going
    Sally
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: there are so many new faces that I can't possibly respond individually but with so many new members, I'd like to share some suggestions that worked for me

:bigsmile: read this thread and post every day even if just to say hello

:bigsmile: limit yourself to one or two threads so you can get to know the other people and not get too fragmented

:bigsmile: take baby steps
    make small changes to your routine that you can stick with

:bigsmile: don't try to change your life all at once
    no one goes from couch to 5K overnight

:bigsmile: do not be discouraged

:bigsmile: log your food even when you've overindulged

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: : drink a lot of water whether you like to or not....treat it like a prescription from the doctor for better health

:bigsmile: don't sit at the computer for more than 30 minutes at a time even if it's your job.....get up and stretch, at least, or go for a walk if you have the time

:flowerforyou: come to this thread for support and don't let the dream stealers in your life discourage you from your psth

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: never, never, never give up

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington