A stranger's harsh words

Options

Replies

• calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Im really sorry to hear this. I know people do say mean things. Ive used to see it multiple times a week. Where I used to live, I would see this almost everyday by the prissy young women. They were so mean to strangers. THey used to push over weight people out of the way in line and say "omg, your gross fat a can stand to wait to eat, its obvous you eat too much or they would say omg, eeeew gross, dont go out in puclic, you take up too much space and are gross". I had to move, I couldnt stand how they treated people. To be honest, they were mean to everyone. LIfe will get their Kim Kardashian wannbe butt. Keep your head up and ignore them, they are just unhappy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that with every good person that says something nice, someone else will say something bad. One thing I've learned over the years is not to take a persons opinion as personal because if I did it would tear me down. I worked door to door sales for 12 years and have had lots of "rejection". First month was tough, but after that, I figured it out that their opinions won't stop me from reaching whatever goal I made.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    People can be so moronic. Regardless whether or not he was drunk, it doesn't give him any right whatsoever to let something have that effect on you. It makes me so sad, and it didn't even happen to me. :frown: It takes a pretty vile personality to come out with something like that, so already you're the better person - keep that in mind and keep holding strong, and smile because you're beautiful. :flowerforyou:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Glad it inspired you to get up and moving in the end, but I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Obviously, he WASN'T thinking because he was drunk, but that's no excuse.

All I can say is that you can fix overweight, but you can't fix stupid and you can't fix ugly. So he looses in the end!

Keep up the great work... you've made awesome progress in one month, just keep it going.

All the best to you. Stay strong and don't let this guy get the best of you.

Jen
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    For future reference, here's the correct response:

Turn to anyone else within earshot, and say very loudly, "Did you hear what that guy said? I feel so sorry for people like that, who have so little in their lives to value that their only joy comes from being an *kitten* like that. It must be so sad living in his shoes like that, in such a joyless, pathetic, sad, dark life. Oh well, I guess without *kitten* like that, it would be harder to notice the great people in the world."
  • usinypsi
    usinypsi Posts: 9
    Options
    I laughed out loud at this response. "i would cough and him and say I have TB too."

I had a guy at work tell me I was getting fat and I told him "I can lose this weight but you will always be ugly" not as witty as the above response but worked in a pinch.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Typo? LOL!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Im really sorry to hear this. I know people do say mean things. Ive used to see it multiple times a week. Where I used to live, I would see this almost everyday by the prissy young women. They were so mean to strangers. THey used to push over weight people out of the way in line and say "omg, your gross fat a can stand to wait to eat, its obvous you eat too much or they would say omg, eeeew gross, dont go out in puclic, you take up too much space and are gross". I had to move, I couldnt stand how they treated people. To be honest, they were mean to everyone. LIfe will get their Kim Kardashian wannbe butt. Keep your head up and ignore them, they are just unhappy.

Where on earth did you live that this was a regular occurrence??
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    He is an idiot! And he will realize that one day when he, his wife, his sister or his mother is picked on and put down by another idiot just like him. Karma does have a way of doing that!

You are a beautiful person and the way you handled the situation was spot on. :flowerforyou:

I wish you the best of luck in your journey to a healthier life ahead! :flowerforyou:
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Some people can be so ugly. I don't understand it. {{{HUGS}}}
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Good God, some people really should have their mouths stapled shut. I'm so sorry you were the victim of a true blue moron. I know it's easier said than done, but try to dismiss his comments and consider the source.....a loser. Try to turn it into motivation in your mind. You can change your lifestyle, he sure can't. Big hugs to you. You ARE strong, we all have our vulnerable moments. What I'd give to meet up with him with a sledgehammer. :flowerforyou:

I HAVE A STAPLER!! :bigsmile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

About 10 years ago I was at a bar with my sister. I had just lost some weight and thought I looked pretty good. A drunk guy walked past me and said to his friend "don't let me get drunk enough to go home with something like that."

Some people are just jerks!

Your dong a great job, keep going!!

Typo? LOL!
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened... You did the right thing and are a much stronger person than I am. I would not have been so nice. You are doing great. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Lornajune
    Lornajune Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That is awful! I am so sorry to hear this, I know it totally happens though b/c it happened to me to a couple of months ago. I was 226 at the time to! I went in to the convenience store and picked out some chocolate, which I really rarely do, but this day I do and the cashier says to me "are you sure you really need that, your already...." and it looks me up and down. It was horrifying, we were the only people in the store at the time but still, just awful behavior from anyone! That day I was feeling really low and I was thinking the same thing to myself before I even went into the store, like do I really need chocolate today....it proved to me that you project what your mind is telling you and how it makes you feel onto others.
    I am just so grateful for this site, I have been logging in for almost 2 months I think and have lost 12 pounds, feels great and I am not giving up because of what anyone says or does, I am doing this for me and my family. Good luck it sounds like your doing great :)

I am sending you a friend invite, I don't have to many and I think the more cheering on the better.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My response would have been, "yeah stay away so you don't catch my FAT and I don't have to worry about catching your STUPID!"

He was a stupid drunk so don't let his words mean anything to you.

Be happy with the knowledge that you can fix your weight, he'll never be able to fix his mental flaw!

:flowerforyou:
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    That happened to me once,

I was walking past a bar by myself while shopping and a guy tried to talk to me and call me over I said no i'm in a rush & he went you think I was trying to chat you up, you keep eating those crisps any wonder your fat! I just walked on, then round the corner threw my crisps in the bin and nearly cried.

I was at that point 5ft 10 and 11 stone or 154lb, not that fat im my opinion but it did make me want to lose weight and i'm down 4lb :-)

I guess what i'm trying to say is people know this hurts and some people are sad enough to get pleasure out of it
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    In the words of my favorite lady, Madea - "It aint what you're called, it's what you answer to."

Take the insult with a grain of salt and keep living your life. People will never cease passing judgment or speaking before they think (unfortunately I tend to have the same sickness at times), all you can do is use them harsh words to push yourself to your limits and prove them - and everyone else around them - wrong.

It's always hard to just "turn the other cheek", no matter how old or mature you are... but some people, especially idiots, are definitely NOT even worth the effort. Of course that's always easier said than done, cause had it been me, that guy and I might have had a good throw down... but guess who would have won? Yup, the "fat" girl. Although I'm not such a great person myself, and I hate idiots with a bloody passion, so disregard that part lol

Hold your head up and just keep on truckin', cause YOU are all that matters right now, not some belligerent, drunken *kitten* with such blatant ignorance. Not. Worth. Your. Time.

You're beautiful! Remember that.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    so sad... I wish my saying 'don't let it get to you' would help, but I'm sure that won't matter. someone else said it.... picture his girlfriend.. that poor thing is in for a rotten future whether she knows it or not. I wish you could be proud and happy that you're on a great path.. we're all on journeys, some more obviously than others... but everybody ( with a grain of sense) is striving to grow... be well sweetie
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Wow what a jerk! I'm so sorry that it happened to you, I had a kinda similar situation so I know how you feel. Losers like him deserve to be ignored. You can always change your body but he will always remain a loser.
  • mxtodsi
    mxtodsi Posts: 23
    Options
    That's awful. There are some really sick people out there. I'm so sorry.