CARBS and BIG BELLIES

Options
123457»

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    What I've read is the magic of eating a low carb diet is low sugar. If I take in fewer carbs, my body doesn't need to release insulin into my bloodstream, which has been proven to restrict fat burning. The theory is, if I eat like a diabetic, I won't turn into one. So far, it's working pretty well, though I am still quite a sugar addict and cheat a lot. That said, my most profound weight loss ever came as a result of eating a vegan diet. In 2001, I shed 7.5 inches on my waist and nearly 40 pounds, a lot of fat. I ultimately gave it up, as I found it very inconvenient and expensive, and I was hungry a lot. It was years before I started counting calories, but I expect I was barely eating 1400 calories a day, which resulted in very fast fat and weight loss. It was very difficult to find enough protein and I had to take supplements, but I felt great and lost weight. Hope this helps!
    This is flawed thinking. Eating causes insulin to be released in the blood stream, regardless of food type. Protein causes insulin spikes just as high, and in some cases even higher, than carbs do. Diabetes is not caused by insulin. Insulin dependence/resistance is a symptom of being diabetic, not the cause of it, just like a sneeze is a symptom of a cold. You don't sneeze and then blame the sneeze for giving you the cold, you blame the cold for making you sneeze. Diabetes is caused by a combination of genetics and excess body fat. You can eat low carb/low sugar, all you like, and still end up with diabetes if you are genetically predisposed to it and have other risk factors for it, just like some diabetics can eat high carb and have complete control over their diabetes.

Do you have brown eyes?
  • freerange
    Options
    Insulin doesn't stop fat from being burned. It slows it down to maintain energy balance. Insulin honestly stores very little fat, I honestly don't know why people think it does.

...I think we can thank Gary Taubes for that. Even if you think he is full of dung, some of his ideas have become mainstream with little in the way of reality backing it up, his ideas get regurgitated enough that you don't see the source.

Many among the Paleo cult tend to spew Taubesisms. The Paleo cult hates "them" even more than Taubes, so thy picked up a lot of his anti-establishment rhetoric.

Cult,,,,,,,,,, oh never mind, I get in trouble when I tell the truth on this site.
  • freerange
    Options
    Eating causes insulin to be released in the blood stream, regardless of food type
    The insulin response to fats is very low if not negligible - cream for example compared to casein (a protein) below :-
    cream+and+insulin.jpg
    Fat is not insulinogenic. Eating causes the insulin response, not the fat. Thank you for proving my point.

How about if I eat ice?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Insulin doesn't stop fat from being burned. It slows it down to maintain energy balance. Insulin honestly stores very little fat, I honestly don't know why people think it does.

...I think we can thank Gary Taubes for that. Even if you think he is full of dung, some of his ideas have become mainstream with little in the way of reality backing it up, his ideas get regurgitated enough that you don't see the source.

Many among the Paleo cult tend to spew Taubesisms. The Paleo cult hates "them" even more than Taubes, so thy picked up a lot of his anti-establishment rhetoric.

Cult,,,,,,,,,, oh never mind, I get in trouble when I tell the truth on this site.

Yeah, was thinking the same. Excuse me while I go and flagellate myself for looking at rice.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

If you are going to try low carb, a good rule of thumb is to stay away from processed foods, as well as white/starchy ones (bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes). Replace with more vegetables.

Some anti-inflammatory foods besides nuts, olive oil and avocado are garlic, onion, apple, and pineapple.

And, if you want to add an anti-inflammatory supplement to your daily vitamins, look up Quercetin with Bromelain. Quercetin is an antioxidant-type compound found in the skin of apples and onions, and bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapples. Doctors have begun recommending that patients take this for a couple weeks prior to surgery, because it reduces swelling and speeds healing time.