First time Jogger at 270 lbs

Options
12346»

Replies

• krisann27
    krisann27 Posts: 26
    Options
    I started running at 276 pounds ... I am currently 233 pounds and I have run 13 half marathons, several 5Ks and I am training for my first marathon right now. I have lots of advice since I have been there ... and done that ... and still doing that

1. Do not call yourself a jogger -- you are a runner. None of us jog, we walk or we run! If you run 1 step you are a runner and start thinking of yourself as such

2. Dont run 2 days in a row. One reality is that we are a bit heavier and thus put more pressure on our bodies. Running every other day helps with that.

3. Strart cross training now -- elliptical, weight training, and yoga are some of my favorites. All of this will make you a better runner!

4. Look up Jeffgalloway.com. He is a Olympian who pioneered the run/walk/run idea and he is amazing.

5. Sign up for your first race -- it will keep you motivated through the summer.

6. Get at least one "real runners" outfit. They make alot of the Nike clothes in plus sizes and then you can feel and look like everyone else! :)

I hope this helps.. Friend me if you would like! Oh and for more advice or stories, check out my blog on here. I have chronicalled my up and down journey with running!

These are AWESOME tips. And I heartily agree about the shoes . . . go to a good running store where they can look at your gait, etc. and steer you in the right direction. Ask a lot of questions. It might be pricey, but then if you know what you're looking for, you can go to a less pricey store for the next pair (probably in a couple of months) and know what to buy.
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So....... I've always "wanted" to be a jogger. When I see them on the sidewalks, I almost envy them. I think it is great for your body, your healthy, your mind - I have just always been "too big"

Recently I have turned my sick addiction of reality tv into watching The Biggest Loser, Extreme Weightloss, and other shows that can motivate me. After watching 300-400 lbs men and women jog/run on the treadmill I thought maybe I could do it.

Monday was my first jog. I woke up early in the morning and just did it. I walked, jogged, walked, jogged, walked for a mile.

Then again this morning I did the same thing.

But I found my mind saying, "go go go - keep going" and my body saying, "stop ouch it hurts" My feet were cramping, my thighs were tight, and my shins were aching. But I was listening to Pandora and the song FIGHTER by Gym Class Heroes came on, and I was able to push myself a little farther.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or is anyone else in the same situation? A heavy weight trying to run!!!!
    This^^^^^