Just been told I am too thin

Options
124»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Looks like you carry your weight very well or it could be that you have more LBM which is actually very good. Honestly there are some people with lower BMI who still look a bit chubby.

Ignore those people, they're probably jealous of your results.
  • GraemePayne
    GraemePayne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was at a business meeting today and was told I was too skinny. :noway:

If it was your doctor telling you that, it's worth discussing with him/her. If it was anyone else, it's only their opinion and can be safely ignored.
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options

i totally feel for you... I'm 173cms tall, 80kgs, BMI of 26.7 (so still in the overweight range) and my gf now keeps telling me that I am too thin, that my face has gotten uglier, that when she hugs me all she feels is bones and feels disgusting. Which is anything but a total downer.

WeightLoss_Pic1_thumb.jpgWeightLoss_Pic2_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear that. You look great in your pictures! Sounds like your girlfriend has security issues. Perhaps she is worried that now that you are thinner that you might leave her for someone else. Think its time for a serious heart to heart. Personally if things dont change I would be looking to leave - nobody has the right to say such horrible things and try to undermine your confidence!
  • bairborne
    bairborne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! It's about how you feel about yourself, it has nothing to do with anyone else! I hav elost 44 pounds since March and that's alll I hear, I look like bones with skin on it. Like you I run 55 miles a week, and have been running 5K-10's to this point. Training for a half marathon when I get back to the U.S. in October. Currently in the U.S. Army in Kosovo....It's what is right for YOU!
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    I have lost just over 20 lbs, and now my boss nit picks everything about my body. Most recent, I don't have any boobs... Way to ruin my ego.

What a #$%*&#$ for saying that! I bet you look great! And I bet your boss isn't exactly Tatum Channing eather ;-).
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

i totally feel for you... I'm 173cms tall, 80kgs, BMI of 26.7 (so still in the overweight range) and my gf now keeps telling me that I am too thin, that my face has gotten uglier, that when she hugs me all she feels is bones and feels disgusting. Which is anything but a total downer.

Sorry to hear that. You look great in your pictures! Sounds like your girlfriend has security issues. Perhaps she is worried that now that you are thinner that you might leave her for someone else. Think its time for a serious heart to heart. Personally if things dont change I would be looking to leave - nobody has the right to say such horrible things and try to undermine your confidence!
    I agree. I would be more than happy to see my boyfriend getting fitter. Your girlfriend is either jealous of your achievements or is insecure enough but in any ways its not going to be good for they two of you. Not trying to sound negative here but any real, caring, decent & mature girlfriend will never say those things to their loved ones.
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options

i totally feel for you... I'm 173cms tall, 80kgs, BMI of 26.7 (so still in the overweight range) and my gf now keeps telling me that I ..........

Sorry to hear that. You look great...............

thanks. appreciate that. this is what usually triggers my binges as i get depressed about staying healthy and think to myself, what's the point of going through all this hard work when my gf prefers me the other way (since its so much easier being fat to begin with, eat what you want when you want).
  • avt85
    Options

Sorry to hear that. You look great in your pictures! Sounds like your girlfriend has security issues. Perhaps she is worried that now that you
    I agree. I would be more than happy to see my boyfriend getting

thanks, i feel the same.
    but im trying to see her point of view as well...relationships is about compromise I guess.
    she has started to loose 15kgs and im hoping by the time she starts to see herself even closer to her goal weight, will start getting motivated and start to see where i am coming from.

sorry if ive kinda hijacked this thread, just trying to express a similar situation/feeling to the OP here.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. I had that comment one time @ work and guess what... My weight was well in the Obese I category... Probably about 32.5 or so.

2. Many people's perceptions of "too thin" are misguided in that they do not have a proper concept of what "too thin" really is. As noted above, this was actually a COACH @ school who said that I "had lost enough" (ok, he did not say I was too thin but the implication was that he thought that at 260 lbs and 6'3" I was where I SHOULD BE...Incidentally, I would have said he was probably mildly overweight but not obese by any stretch of the imagination -- This misconception is very common as applied especially to males... Less common among females.

3. Playing the devil's advocate here though... What is your body fat %? OK, now if in the process of losing weight you may have gained some muscle mass, it is POSSIBLE (though improbable because you would know that I would think) that you can technically be too thin and still be at the top of the IBW range... This is because muscle weighs more per cubic inch and is denser.

4. Unless these people have a say in your job security, I would not worry about what they have to say. If your job demands a bit of brawn then you may would have reason for concern, otherwise you know what is best for you. If you know you are at a healthy weight, don't let what they say bother you in the slightest. Remember, most of America is OVERWEIGHT or OBESE... They have a bad concept of what you really should look like to be healthy... Remember when you were a kid and the older folks would say... Now, that is a healthy young man... What did they mean? They meant that he had "some meat on his bones"...
    Who was truly healthier? I would say that it would be the thinner person (usually)

My best wishes to you in your continued journey.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I've never felt better in my life, have more energy when I wake up in the morning and enjoy food alot more now than I used to.
    I still have a bit of belly I need to tone but sometimes negative feedback like this with no support just get so depressing, almost had the urge last night when she told me this stuff again to just binge eat myself to 3,000 calories that night. Get myself back to my fat old self just to end the argument altogether, never thought being healthy was so emotionally taxing.

Here's a few photos of me as of last week against my former 120kg self, up to you to decide whether she is right.

You look good to me. You looked a lot older in your fat pictures. Is she by chance overweight herself and feeling a bit insecure ?
  • avt85
    Options

I've never felt better in my life, have more energy when I wake up in the morning and enjoy food alot more now than I used to.
    I still have a .....
    You look good to me. You looked a lot older in your fat pictures. Is she by chance overweight herself and feeling a bit insecure ?

thanks. yeah....she is overweight and have already started to drop kgs (15kgs) since I started as she is kinda forced to eat what I eat now (as im usually the one in charge of the meals).
    not sure about her feeling insecure but she is definitely emotional about my whole health kick thing and always barrages me with the same negativity day in and day out. Sometimes its just best not to say anything as it always causes arguments.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I am about a BMI of 24.8-25.0 so on one scale I am at the high end of healthy. I don't want to go down the whole body size debate but why would someone say that? :frown:

I'm training for a 10k run and would like to drop another few pounds and the training might help with that. I kind of feel like I have done all this hard work to clean up my diet and excersise and people don't value my hard work!

Never mind. I think I will go for a run and put it all behind me. :tongue:

Do what you do for you and be healthy. Some people don't know the difference between the two. Keep up the great work!
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Having no boobs is a lot easier than having too much fat!
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 20 lbs, and now my boss nit picks everything about my body. Most recent, I don't have any boobs... Way to ruin my ego.

Now this is a classic case of *****y.

Just tell her to go F herself :) or himself.

Actually, if you find the comment rude, you need to tell him/her to stop the commentary and if it continues it qualifies as sexual harassment b/c they are making unwanted comments about your body.
  • jseger3
    jseger3 Posts: 9
    Options
    1) BMI is extremely inaccurate if you are tall/short/muscular/lean. It's a measure for the very average only. Insurance companies love it because it allows them to put more people into high risk groups and charge more money.

2) Find a weight where you feel good and where your doctor feels good about your weight...Don't obsess on the numbers.

3) When I hit 215, I'll get the "too skinny" or "are you sick?" comments. But the goal remains 210. I'll still be the biggest guy in the bike races, but I'll get dropped on the hills a lot less.

Keep going!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    What other people think of us is really none of our business. :wink:
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    That is because fat is the new normal so to others, you would look thin.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 22.4. Sum ppl tell me I need to stop losing weight, but they never say I'm too thin. I WISH sum1 would tell me I'm too thin. Mayb it's because the majority of my weight left is on my belly & love handles, so I'm not exactly thin yet haha.
  • weightlossloser13
    Options
    If you have lost a lot of weight recently and your skin hasn't had a chance to shrink up (elasticity and all that) if can give a person a look of being very gaunt. *Especially* if you are stilling wearing your old clothes, which hang off of your newly trimmed frame.

Just look at some pictures of Drew Carey *right* after he lost all the weight: http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/drew-carey-weightloss-2.jpg

But give that some time and put him in some properly fitted clothes and viola! http://www.thirdage.com/files/originals/drew-carey_13.jpg

Now go buy a yourself some very-much-earned new outfits for work and tell that jerk to shove it! You're doing awesome!