Sometimes I don't swallow....

Options

Replies

• alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    I watched a show about a dancer who did the same thing you are doing. She became very ill because of this habit and they DID consider it an eating disorder... Please take care of yourself and possibly talk to your doctor about what you are doing.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What ^ she said!
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

If you do this with all food, I would say not normal.... but, if i am craving something, say a donut for instance, I will take a bite to get the taste and then spit it back out. But not with all my food, just things my tastebuds want but my body doesn't need (sweets) and even then only like once a month do I have craving that bad lol
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The crowd has spoken.

Either swallow, or don't put it in your mouth.

:huh: Ummmmm.....thaaat's what he said?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Your case may well be different, but I don't find this behavior as strange as others seem to. If we think about it, wine tasters, and some professional food taste testers do this--but in their case, tasting the food/drink in question is a necessity. I will admit I have done it when I've been baking large amounts of cupcakes or whatever for an event (e.g. I'd taste a small amount of buttercream to check the flavor, then spit it out). I'd say if it is something you do once in a while, you're probably okay, if it's like a daily habit, you might want to reevaluate.

There's a big difference between what you're talking about and what the OP is talking about. Notice the part I bolded..
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If I eat something and realize it isn't worth the calories or gross, I will finish the bite I have taken and just not eat anymore. I won't get hung up on one bite.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    sam00.jpg

OK, that was the last one, I promise.

Oh, suuuure it is! :huh: :ohwell:
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    I love food, i just cant, not swallow it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well this topic isn't what I expected. Hmm.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the actress from Clueless that chews up her food and spits it into her kids mouth... eeww
  • keri1908
    keri1908 Posts: 9
    Options
    This doesn't sound very healthy AT all!!You can have a healthy diet without eating fatty foods!!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    OP, are you a mother bird trying to feed her young?

I'm going to assume not but I could be wrong.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the actress from Clueless that chews up her food and spits it into her kids mouth... eeww
    Alicia Silverstone. She's like, totally, you know like, smart, 'n stuff.

AS IF!!!! :laugh:
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    politely spit it out.

Is this possible? I was taught that spitting is never polite.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I came into this thread for all the wrong reasons :grumble:
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I always swallow the food, if not then it is just wasting it. Unless if it tastes, as my nephew puts it, ucky. What you are describing is an ED.
  • anewmeforever
    Options

I used to do the exact same thing, when I was at my thinnest. I was advised by some very smart people that it was the start of an eating disorder, and to knock that crap off. I know, I just wanted the taste, and not the calories. But now that I look back, it was the start of something very unhealthy. I guess that's the sneaky way an eating disorder can sneak up on you, and you don't even realize because it seems alright, and understandable. But to be honest, now if I want it, I budget it into my calories. It seems healthier. But know, you are not alone in this :)
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    No, I swallow the food I put in my mouth. I will only spit it out in a napkin if it taste disgusting.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The crowd has spoken.

Either swallow, or don't put it in your mouth.

Lol---This ^^^
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is not normal or okay. This is very concerning and you should see your doctor.