Anybody willing to admit to lying to MFP?

Options

Replies

• fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call what I do lying or not. I'm a little lazy measuring and logging my food. I try to over estimate the volume of food I'm eating and look if I don't find the exact food in the database, I look at similar items and pick the one with the most calories. On exercise (swimming or walking in my case), I log every minute I'm in the pool or on the trail. I'm pretty sure I get credit for calories being burnt that I'm not actually burning but at this point I'm logging it more for time that anything.

Logging bad info doesn't hurt MFP but it will keep me from meeting my goals.
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sure I do, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm only lying to myself. And I'll get caught on Monday morning when I step on the scale and see whether my "lies" will come back to bite me in the butt.

What she said :) - and (added after original reply)- I usually enter in my food BEFORE I eat it, to see how it looks in the grand scheme of my day. Yesterday I went to a bbq where I would have a choice between brats or burgers.... so I planned ahead of time which would be "ok" for my day. If I am going to eat junk occasionally, then I should at least educate myself ahead of time, right?

I do this! Always put the food into my diary first as a guide to what to eat for the day. I also find this easier to stick to because i have to eat what ive logged, otherwise i generally will feel tempted to nibble on crap basically!!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I dont lie, just dont put down things that arent really worth logging...
    Like pepper... and when I'm eating out.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't always log my beer/wine intake. I should and I know this, but I don't.

This website and it's information is public and available to anyone via a simple google search. Be careful what you log. You never know when that will come back at you. For instance, if you log drinking every night, and then something odd happens, and then suddenly you're in court defending and explaining your "alcoholism". *kitten* happens. Be smart.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    I don`t log my decafe black coffee, or the odd caffiene free diet coke, or spices that I know are 0 cals.
    coffee actually as 8 cals per mug (black) not alot but if u drink alot
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    nope, im very anal about everything being on there! lol x
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    sometimes I forget to add the extra toppings or ingredients in the foods that I'm cooking.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have been known too..especially recently again..i guess we are actually lying to ourselves, not this site..someone actually deleted me for admitting to doing this..cool mfp friend, huh ? i have been doing A LOT better again tho..it happens to us sometimes..all we can do is TRY not to..good luck to us all:drinker:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well now, lying or omitting, admittedly a fine line. I always leave a couple of hundred calories at the end of the day for what i call "unconscious eating" you know, the tasting while cooking, stealing a chip or a fry, one extra gram on the scale, that way it doesn't come back to bite me but if I logged every bite I would be at the computer for hours since my diet is already pretty complicated.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My other half laughs at me, when I get to the end of the day, and i can't quite make my calorie goal, I add a bit more food to my diary. He says " I have heard of people lying when they ate more than they did, but you log more food than you ate".
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    on cheat days i don't log everything.
    when in full low carb mode, i sometimes will not log all my veggies.. and sometimes won't weigh the meat like if its on a bone, i might eat part of it before i cut the bone off and weigh it. but i'm pretty good at guesstimating now that i know what a piece of meat weighs and what it looks like.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I view that not as lying to MFP, but not being honest with yourself~
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    the stuff that i'm likely to omit is the stuff i might grab one or two of. and i'm not talking big things like cookies, slices of bread, etc.

i'm talking like taking 1 or 2 of my kids' french fries, or 1 or 2 almonds, or 1 or 2 grapes, etc. and i don't do it that often. over the course of the week it would probably matter more than over the course of the day............
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Not anymore, the only thing I don't count is the low fat butter/spread I use on my sandwich, I don't know why though....
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    only when im screwing up. i track 100% and weigh everything about 80% of the time. when i screw up, i stop tracking and screw up horribly :( its the worst habit i have and im trying to break it
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat some air popped popcorn throughout the day to help with my low blood sugar problem. I don't measure it or log it.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I sometimes under-report exercise, as I think that the calories burned for walking is a bit high in MFP, and I don't have an HRM yet. Otherwise, I don't (knowingly) lie to MFP. I don't have a scale, so I'm estimating 90% of what I report, and could be putting in wrong info by mistake, but I try very hard to estimate on the high end, just to be sure I'm reporting at least as much as I ate.

Good question!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm getting worse with this :( I just ate some M'n'Ms and didn't measure them :/
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    This sn't really a lie, but I know this is going to be a tough week with my daughter's birthday and our village festival. So, I went in and changed my goals from 1 1/2 pound a week to 1 pound. That way I am more apt to stay under my cals, and feel better when I look at my food log. Nothing like planning to fail! lol
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. For a while I was using estimates like if I made a burger at home I would log it as a wendys burger if it was similar in size. But then I realized that's not true tracking. So now I pretty much measure everything that I have at home and log it. If it isn't in the database I quickly create my own recipie for it. I do try to log everything it is pretty easy if you have the APP becuase you can simply scan the barcode. But I will admit that I don't log coffee and water. I generally drink about 2-3 cups of coffee and about 8-10 glasses of water. My hardest day to log is Saturday becuase I hang out in a local pool hall with some friends so my diary is generally Rum and coke and then an estimate of some bar food becuase the pool hall doesn't have a nutrition guide. I even log the drinks as doubles when the bartener (i think she has a crush on me) makes the rum and diet with all RUM.