Has anyone tried DDP yoga

Options
Im looking to see if anyone has tried DDP Yoga? My partner wants to give it a shot and it looks awesome. Anyone with real results

Lyndz x

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey Lyndz,

My wife and I have been doing DDP Yoga for the past 30 days for a couple different reasons. My Wife had a bad back ever since our daughter was born and wasn't able to do the workouts that I already owned (kettleworx). I also wanted to try it to help with my flexibility (I was never able to touch my toes standing... and don't even ask me bring up the v-sit and reach back in HS)... So we ordered the combo discs of DDP because I wanted a challenge for strength as well as flexibility.

We both LOVE the workouts... they have kicked our butts all over the place. We both joined MFP a week before starting the workouts and we both couldn't be happier after the dvds came to us in the mail. We are both constantly asked if we do other workouts in combination of DDP and we do not... this is the fastest we have ever seen results (I'm sure the diet helps) and we aren't super sore the next day. So we do a workout almost every night - leaving Friday Night as an off night. I have highly recommended the workouts but be warned - they are not easy. They also have a site that you join when purchasing the workouts that is a great support system as well...

A funny story - we got back from vacation and I popped in the 2nd disc for the first time to workout by my self. I tried the Diamond Cutter workout which is 55(ish) minutes long of nonestop poses and strength training. I was shaking, drenched in sweat, and huffing and puffing half way through it. I finished the workout without stopping and I now want to do it again next Saturday night.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy if you get them!! :wink:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it myself. In fact, I didn't even know it existed, until I saw this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

****ing amazing!
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Haven't tried it myself. In fact, I didn't even know it existed, until I saw this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

****ing amazing!

WOW! Unbelievable!
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    Okay, I am a crying at my desk at work. What an inspiration.

See! and who says you can't lose weight with yoga. I posted about this already, basically saying not to group all yoga into one category and making sweeping generalizations about it's benefits. The only one you can make is the mind body balance but in terms of the physical benefits, they vary depending on the style. I don't know what all is involved in DDP yoga but judging from the video, it must be constant movement and holding challenging poses which works both your flexibility and strength. The constant motion can be cardio depending on the challenge of the poses.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been tempted to order these dvds, thanks for the review danwood!
  • danwood2
    Options
    Anytime!! :)

You are right, there is a cardio aspect because DDP does move pretty quickly between the moves. But he also uses "Dynamic Resistance" while doing the moves. You are basically flexing every muscle while moving - challenging at first, but you get used to it after a while. The strength training on here is insane. You have the 3 second pushups... then as you progress - you go into 5 second pushups... and 10 second pushups. Basically... Hold yourself up for 3 seconds... slow count down 3 seconds... hold for 3 seconds and move slow count up 3 seconds.

Another benefit that I didn't mention on the challenge is that you make it your own. DDP says this all the way through the workouts. If something is too challenging, he will have a person behind him doing the "modified" version. Still challenging, but not as hard.

We got the 4 disc combo when I purchased these. And it has been over a month and we are still on disc 1... I have done a couple of the workouts on disc 2... but they are much much harder. I can't even imagine dusting off disc 3 and 4 just yet! :laugh:

I will see if i can post some before and after pics as I progress.

Good times... Cheers!
  • olemanjake
    olemanjake Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been doing the program since May 26.

22lbs gone and I feel 150% better than I have in a very long time.

I have a website where I posted a lengthy review of it. Check it out. I have very little negative feedback (if any) regarding the program.

In fact, it's so NO impact that 10 days after having knee surgery I was able to safely use the program and still am. I'm no Arthur Boorman (he's cooler than the flip side of your pillow by the way) but my story is pretty good too, as are others who are members of TeamDDPYoga.

Anyway, here's the link [linkl]http://www.downdogjunction.com/my-ddpyoga-review/[/link]

Please let me know what you think!
  • olemanjake
    Options
    I just stepped up to 3&4... it's all pretty awesome stuff!
  • olemanjake
    Options
    See! and who says you can't lose weight with yoga. I posted about this already, basically saying not to group all yoga into one category and making sweeping generalizations about it's benefits. The only one you can make is the mind body balance but in terms of the physical benefits, they vary depending on the style. I don't know what all is involved in DDP yoga but judging from the video, it must be constant movement and holding challenging poses which works both your flexibility and strength. The constant motion can be cardio depending on the challenge of the poses.

I personally feel it's what I call the 'yoga elite' who are putting out this garbage mentality. Exercise is exercise. If you get your heart moving...you create internal heat...the internal heat burns fat... there's a scientific way to describe it but I don't have the words.

I know I've lost 22 lbs in less than 2 months.. heck, I took a week +3 days off the program to recover from knee surgery...and I still lost weight...
  • olemanjake
    Options
    I have been tempted to order these dvds, thanks for the review danwood!

Do it. You won't regret it.
  • danwood2
    Options

I haven't gotten to disc 3 and 4 just yet... I will have to check them out in a couple of weeks... still making a lot of progress on Discs 1 and 2
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you get your heart moving...you create internal heat...the internal heat burns fat... there's a scientific way to describe it but I don't have the words.

There's nothing scientific about what you just said. Just stick with "exercise helps you lose weight". :wink: It's the burning of the fat (among other sources) that generates energy, not the other way around.
  • olemanjake
    Options
    If you get your heart moving...you create internal heat...the internal heat burns fat... there's a scientific way to describe it but I don't have the words.

There's nothing scientific about what you just said. Just stick with "exercise helps you lose weight". :wink: It's the burning of the fat (among other sources) that generates energy, not the other way around.

I have been schooled... Thanks.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the program since May 26.

22lbs gone and I feel 150% better than I have in a very long time.

I have a website where I posted a lengthy review of it. Check it out. I have very little negative feedback (if any) regarding the program.

In fact, it's so NO impact that 10 days after having knee surgery I was able to safely use the program and still am. I'm no Arthur Boorman (he's cooler than the flip side of your pillow by the way) but my story is pretty good too, as are others who are members of TeamDDPYoga.

Anyway, here's the link [linkl]http://www.downdogjunction.com/my-ddpyoga-review/[/link]

Please let me know what you think!

I've never really gotten an answer on this, but if you've done other styles of yoga before, how is this different?

ETA: Based on your review link, this looks to be more "yoga" than yoga.
  • RiseAndConverge
    RiseAndConverge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can someone private message me a link to the DVDs?
  • olemanjake
    Options
    I have indeed tried vinyasa yoga.

A major difference in DDPYoga is it incorporating MMA style moves, and calisthenics. You find yourself doing "fast-twitch" punches, slow-burn punches, and knee thrusts for an example. You also find yourself doing slow-burn pushups, etc.

There is also an emphasis on muscle engagement and using dynamic resistance in each move; something I didn't find in traditional yoga. I enjoy traditional yoga; don't get me wrong - it's what brought me to the dance so-to-speak.

Does that help?
  • olemanjake
    Options
    I dunno if you can actually get the DVD's that way. However, there are several youtube clips available that have many demonstrations....
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options

****ing amazing!

WOW! that gave me tears -- amazing!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'd never even heard of this type of yoga. I've just watched the youtube clip and I'm lost for words....amazing!!! I'm going to have to find out more!
  • olemanjake
    Options

I haven't gotten to disc 3 and 4 just yet... I will have to check them out in a couple of weeks... still making a lot of progress on Discs 1 and 2

Awesome... you know the mantra : "OWN it"... just did FB+RHC+BTB all in a row this morning. Loving it.