(some of the) American guys...

Options
Natashaa1991
Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
this is not exactly fitness related but whatever, i am gonna post it anyways because there's so many of you here from US.
ok i am not saying all of the guys from us are like this, but most of those i met are really cheap!

so i like this guy and we went out for dinner and then the next time we went for drinks (to an expensive place, but i didn't ask for him to pay, i was buying drinks for him as well).
i don't exactly expect from the guy to pay for me, i am not like that, but this guy kept complaining about every dollar he spent, and seemed very frustrated that as a girl, i don't have to spend that much.. like, you don't pay for the entrance to a club because you are a girl and looked at me as if i was supposed to apologize for that.
we went to a cheaper place next time and the guy kept complaining! not only him, a lot of americans that i met are like this, and most of them are well-off...
so the guy texted me and said that he doesn't wanna see me tonight because he doesn't wanna spend money (i'm sure it's that, he showed me that he liked me).

as i said i am always paying for myself (except for the first time but he insisted) but wth? Did anyone have similar problem?? and what did you do, i don't even know what i'm supposed to say..

and PLEASE don't get offended, this is by no means meant to offend anyone.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    *prepares for the ensuing sh*tstorm*
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You met a cheap guy. Not all guys are like that. Not all Americans are like that.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's called women's equality. :sad:

I think it's also different by region of the US, and whether urban or rural.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    that's too bad.. fortunately I haven't met anyone yet who is like that but if I do, I would instantly walk out.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You met a cheap guy. Not all guys are like that. Not all Americans are like that.

^ This.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    DUMP HIM!!!
    :noway:
    What a miser - OUCH!
    Here's the rule of a true gentleman. If I invite you, I pay. FOR EVERYTHING!
    And we have a fabulous evening. And if I am not a man of great means, I plan things I can afford.
    Seriously, dump this guy NOW!
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • kingkong247
    kingkong247 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I always insist on paying, I still fight my SO for the check and we've been together for 7 months.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just because you had one bad experience why sterotype EVERY American guy as being like this ??
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I do not think this is going to end well...so I will stick around and watch!~
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is completely and utterly skint and doesnt want to admit to money troubles........... or maybe he is actually an idiot and you can find a much nicer guy :-) Someone to spoil you like a princess!
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :laugh: ha! oh ya... storm... lol
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian, and definitely not cheap. I think it's up to the gentleman to pay on the first date, then it can be figured out from there if you continue seeing each other. If cash flow is an issue, either don't make plans, or plan to go somewhere more reasonably priced. This dude is going to be single for a LONG time if he talks like that in front of his dates!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am an American, and I believe a man should pay the first time. After that pay my own way. If I really care for the girl, I would still pay.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You should try dating a Brit. I won't even pull your chair out for you without charging for it.
  • WelcomeToWonderland
    Options
    I always found the opposite to be true, maybe it's different crowed of people :s
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :angry:
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There are cheap guys all over. You did the right thing by paying your own way. Personally, I would look for someone else to go out with as this guy seems like he is just a complainer.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Did you sleep with him anyway?
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Not all American guys are like that at all. If he is doing something you don't like why go out with him again. Plenty of fish in the sea. Go fishing.