Options
    I read.
    I read a lot.
    I love to read.

this - and pretty much anything
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i love to read and do not hide it. What is there to hide?
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My Dad, my husband and my brother are the most voracious readers I know. Don't hide that you love to read. Proudly flaunt those books and who knows who you'll influence.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Dont you guys get tired when you read?

I read like 3 to 5 pages, and then fall asleep, regardless of how good the book is. Happens every time to me. So, it's hard for me to read. It's easier to watch TV.

I know some women will come home from work, sit down, and read. I'm like, I'd be out like a light in 3 minutes.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would say that it would appear that women read more books than men, but I do know a fair amount of guys that do read books...at least occasionally :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's not a woman thing but perhaps it is true that more women read then men.

I read a lot and I've never been called out on it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I write books. You should read my books. I put dude stuff in them, Promise.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I read a lot, and I will not date a guy who doesn't do some form of intelligent reading. It all depends on the company you keep!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My husband reads a LOT, and he's a stereotypical "dude" too. Not even the nerdy type :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husband reads for leisure more than I do. Of course, that's probably because I'm in school and with our three kids, I don't have time to read a fun book.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    men read books.

what men don't seem to do is organize a "book club" for a bunch of other people to come over and talk about the book they read (actually, my mother is in a book club and when she and her friends meet, i'm not sure the book is discussed at all).

Haha! Book Clubs are social gatherings for appetizers and drinks and gossip! LOL
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    my dad reads alot and so does my brother. i have plenty of guy friends who read.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    what men don't seem to do is organize a "book club" for a bunch of other people to come over and talk about the book they read (actually, my mother is in a book club and when she and her friends meet, i'm not sure the book is discussed at all).

Book club?

*snort* Wine club more like...
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of men that read :)
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think historically, reading fiction was for women. If you read, for eg. Jane Austen or George Eliot (thinking Mill on the Floss) there's references to women reading fiction that wasn't thought of as important as the men reading the non fiction. Non fiction was "real" reading, fiction reading was a mere hobby.

And I only know a few men who read fiction, but I only know them through blogging!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of guy friends who read. Granted, it's usually nonfiction whereas most of the women I know love to read fiction (specifically fiction with a female protagonist).

I have an informal "book club" with several guy friends where we will read a science fiction or military history book around the same time as one another. It's great, none of this Jodi Picoult or Amy Bloom crap :P
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My husband and I read and actually fight over who gets to read a new book first.
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I read a lot, mostly much, MUCH older works though. I really like staying in the Classical Period when I read things but it hasnt stopped me from reading other more modern works. :)
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

You need to get a new friend.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My dad reads a lot.
    My husband and I fight over books!
    I have close guy friends that read a lot.
    I see more men on the train than women reading books.
    Why would you be embarrassed to read a book??
    I would never be able to date someone who wasn't well read...