Is Reading a Woman Thing?

Options

Replies

• 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Most of my reading is done to my kids right before bedtime:)
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OK, no one has answered the tired question. Don't you get tired? I just can't read that much. I enjoy it when I can, but if I sit down to read, I'm usually asleep within 30 mintues. Whereas I can watch TV unendlingly for hours without falling asleep.
    No. I tend to get energized. I usually have to set an alarm that tells me to put down the book and go to bed if I'm reading in the late evening. If the book is written well, I've been known to stay up until I've finished it. Reading all through the night is pretty common for me. Again, I "blame" my dad for this behaviour ;)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of men who read. It is actually something I look for in a man.

"If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't **** them." -John Waters
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't wait to get home tonight and lay on the couch and read...that's how exciting my Friday night is going to be.

Haha, I feel you brother!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I belong to a group on FB about the Dark Tower books and most of the members are men. The core people that comment anyway, myself and another woman are the only females that spend a lot of time there.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I read lots of books, and LOVE them. I have a Kindle that collects books, as well as the multitudes of books on shelves. Slowly weeding my way down from those due to space.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I both read voraciously - and instead of making me tired, I have the opposite problem where I'm up half the night engrossed in a good story and forget to go to bed!!!

Maybe you'd do better with audio books if your eyes get tired. Or get your eyes checked out and make sure you have the right prescription? Just a thought.

My husband does not follow sports but is tremendously into world events, politics, science, history, and mechanical things. I love mystery, general fiction, historical, political, music, and romance (if it's well-done and not like 50 Shades of Crap). Our bookcases look like a cross section of a Barnes & Noble! Don't be ashamed to read - you're much more likely to find a compatible group of friends through reading groups than by hanging out in a bar or sports arena merely because you think that's the "place to be" for guys.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of men who read. It is actually something I look for in a man.

"If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't **** them." -John Waters

A friend of mine is a real estate agent. She was selling a guy's house at the same time my mom was looking for a house and she wanted to set me up with this guy, so she showed us the house (while he was home). This place had built0in bookshelves in every room but not a single book on any of the shelves. That is the only thing I remember about that house!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

I read every day. Average about 2 books a week. It's not a "woman thing". The majority of the bikers I ride with are readers too. I wouldn't call one of them "girly" to their face.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    OP, I suspect you are just reading the wrong books. What are your tastes in tv? Maybe we can use that to deduce some recommendations for you.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

I'm an English major and there does seem to be a higher amount of females in the classes than males. But most of my professors are males, and actually the head of my English department is a hilarious Welsh male who plays rugby on the side.

That being said, I do know plenty of males who read. There are some phenomenal male authors out there as well. Don't be embarrassed for your love of reading! Reading is a wonderful way of expanding your imagination, learning new things, and a great way to relax. :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    OK, no one has answered the tired question. Don't you get tired? I just can't read that much. I enjoy it when I can, but if I sit down to read, I'm usually asleep within 30 mintues. Whereas I can watch TV unendlingly for hours without falling asleep.

It depends on the book. If I'm reading a textbook, yeah, I'm out pretty quick. When I was reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo" series, I only got about four hours of sleep a night because I couldn't put them down.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Intelligent people read. It doesn't always have to be books. Articles, essays, short stories count, too. Being ashamed that you like reading is... weird, frankly.

If you're talking about tripe like 50 Shades of Gray, I can't help you. Tons of people read crap. I always try to tell myself at least they read, but I'm never quite convinced that's a solid argument.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Also, the book was better than the movie. Just saying. :)

Never once has there been a comparison where the movie was better.
    The Terminator series. Really, those never should have gone to print...but I did read all of them. Oh, and Star Wars series. The original books were great, but when they remade them to fit to movies they ruined the whole thing.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time on planes and in airports. I read quite a bit. Love fiction, particularly the classics like Jack London, Ernest Hemingway and Danielle Steele
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Men do read.

Men who loves to read is so attractive to me :love:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I read all the time mostly ficton, but some good non-ficton too. I have a couple of freinds that read a lot too. But more that don't. It doesn't make sense to me. I learn so much from reading, even ficton books.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just read "1861" by Adam Goodhart
    Last week. I usually read about 1 or 2 a month
    on my Kindle Fire. I have loved to read since I was
    a kid .But I am the only guy I know whose not in prison
    Who reads incessantly , so you might have a point.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, the book was better than the movie. Just saying. :)

Never once has there been a comparison where the movie was better.
    The Terminator series. Really, those never should have gone to print...but I did read all of them. Oh, and Star Wars series. The original books were great, but when they remade them to fit to movies they ruined the whole thing.

Rebecca was better than the book.

The Notebook was leaps and bounds better than the book.

I haven't read the book, but I've heard the movie of Practical Magic is better than the book.

There are a few others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My husband reads books. He used to read this sci-fi fantasy series but now he's into reading financial books. I know plenty of men that read.