900 calories and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    900 calories of real food would have made you loose weight. But eating cardboard bars made your body think that there is a famine and it needs to not only to store the calories but also make sure you don't burn anything. You shocked your body!

If you snack on vegetables with low sugar content every 3 hours and eat 4 oz of lean protein like chicken and fish to 1300 calories a day, you can get your metabolism back to burning properly and you will loose weight. Promise! (Oh and also your skin and hair will look amaze-balls!)
  • tracylgorman
    tracylgorman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was going to reply to defend the idea of a 'starvation mode' but after doing some searching I found I misunderstood the concept. If you eat below you daily minimum calories to maintain weight and you're at your ideal weight your metabolism will adjust itself to try to keep as much of the fat and nutrients as possible, this does not happen if you're overweight.

"In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight."

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

I would attribute your weight gain to lack of data more than anything, I know personally my weight can fluctuate a couple pounds in either direction which would make me crazy if I weighed myself daily. I limit myself to one weigh in a week for that reason alone. Definitely stick to 'real' food and keep in mind that your weight can fluctuate even though the long term trend is that you're losing weight. I can't really comment on the 900 calories, it seems low to me but for your build / lifestyle it may be right for you, the important thing is that your taking in enough nutrients to be healthy and try not to lose weight too fast. I'm no expert but from what I've read running a calorie deficit of more than 500 calories a day and/or losing more than 2-3 pounds a day (if you're doing it at home without supervision) is not good.
    Be careful, be safe and good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • tracylgorman
    tracylgorman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Consider the source. The National Health Association and The American Natural Hygiene Society...According to an ANHS brochure: "Natural Hygiene rejects the use of medications, blood transfusions, radiation, dietary supplements, and any other means employed to treat or “cure” various ailments. These therapies interfere with or destroy vital processes and tissue. Recovery from disease takes place in spite of, and not because of, the drugging and “curing” practices."
    Natural Hygiene publications promote fasting for children as well as for adults.

A federal court jury awarded over $800,000 to the survivors of William Carlton, a 49-year-old man who died after undergoing a distilled water fast for 30 days at Shelton’s (one of the founders) Health School. An article in the Los Angeles Times stated that Carlton had died of bronchial pneumonia resulting from a weakened condition in which he lost 50 pounds during his last month of life. The article also noted that he was the sixth person in five years who had died while undergoing treatment at the school.

Bottom line - these folks encourage prolonged fasting and discourage proven medical interventions
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    my dude. you have to eat more. it is what it is. you probably feel miserable on this fad diet of yours because your running on fumes. that alone should tell you that 900 calories every single day is unhealthy. especially since your eating "cardboard". is there a reason you decided not to eat fruits, veggies and real food??? having such low daily calories has an impact on how effectively you can work out as well. your on your way to really messing your body up. and your gonna gain the weight back trust me. up your calories, eat clean and work out.
  • cso619
    cso619 Posts: 4
    Options
    Stay positive and don't give up. I've tried that diet the advice from the group is correct. Up your intake with the right mix and you'll see results. I love the part about forget the scale--for now. I agree with Alexis on the starvation comments,
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for this!!
    Consider the source. The National Health Association and The American Natural Hygiene Society...According to an ANHS brochure: "Natural Hygiene rejects the use of medications, blood transfusions, radiation, dietary supplements, and any other means employed to treat or “cure” various ailments. These therapies interfere with or destroy vital processes and tissue. Recovery from disease takes place in spite of, and not because of, the drugging and “curing” practices."
    Natural Hygiene publications promote fasting for children as well as for adults.

A federal court jury awarded over $800,000 to the survivors of William Carlton, a 49-year-old man who died after undergoing a distilled water fast for 30 days at Shelton’s (one of the founders) Health School. An article in the Los Angeles Times stated that Carlton had died of bronchial pneumonia resulting from a weakened condition in which he lost 50 pounds during his last month of life. The article also noted that he was the sixth person in five years who had died while undergoing treatment at the school.

Bottom line - these folks encourage prolonged fasting and discourage proven medical interventions
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ditto, and look at her ticker!! Proof again eating doesn't make me fat, eating the wrong foods like sugar and bad fats but mostly, a sedentary lifestyle makes me fat!
    my dude. you have to eat more. it is what it is. you probably feel miserable on this fad diet of yours because your running on fumes. that alone should tell you that 900 calories every single day is unhealthy. especially since your eating "cardboard". is there a reason you decided not to eat fruits, veggies and real food??? having such low daily calories has an impact on how effectively you can work out as well. your on your way to really messing your body up. and your gonna gain the weight back trust me. up your calories, eat clean and work out.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    eat moar foods - eat the whole rainbow. eat it again. i am not referring to skittles. Im referring to the farm.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No matter who says it doesn't work to up your intake, it was finally the one thing that did it for me. I used to naturally lose weight without trying, just by being active and eating healthy. I gained during pregnancy and afterward felt it important to bring my appetite back down. I exercised, I got my thyroid checked and started treating that, nothing freaking worked! I got down to the 180s (I was 205 in the weeks before having him, shrunk to 190 when he was born), but could not get past that.

We went organic. I got rid of unnatural sugars, lowered my carbs & changed them to whole wheat, and learned about what is actually good fuel and how to say no to things like cheese on top. I switched to light proteins and really increased the amount of fueling veggies I was eating in a day. I started pilates and kickboxing. I started drinking 8 glasses of water a day to keep myself better hydrated. And yet, for all of my work, I couldn't get down past 182 after 5 months. It's not like I just didn't know what I was eating. I home cook everything and measure out portions.

I finally tracked and found I was only eating 800-1000 calories a day. It wasn't on purpose, that was just all it took to fill me up. After hearing that I had to increase my intake, I did so. I kept exercising just the same (and even less for a couple weeks) and gained a few pounds. But then it started coming off. In the next couple weeks, I lost 10 lbs. and got down to 178. Sold.

It's now very important to me to at least eat 1200 calories a day, and to try to net 1200. But an occasional day of less than 1200 net doesn't seem to mess up my metabolism any.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    please help I hate this 900 calories of cardboard for four days and gained two pounds!!! not really carboard eggs protein bars etc

Lets not even talk about the extra 500 she should be eating for breastfeeding...OP has serious issues and she doesnt know what shes doing.
    Long term at this rate and she may as well call it quits.

The OP is 53. I highly doubt that is her newborn baby
    Screenshot2012-07-06at75432PM.png

Well ****!
    Maybe she's thinking about eating somebody else's baby?
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad.
    Especially since seeing people eat around 2k a day and losing weight.

That is because you are Awesome and have given the closest thing to a road map.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad.
    Especially since seeing people eat around 2k a day and losing weight.

That is because you are Awesome and have given the closest thing to a road map.

Props to you!
    BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    All hell broke LOOSE on this topic! I think I'm going to LOSE my mind the next time someone misspells the word LOSE. We are on a weight loss sight and most of us want to LOSE weight so our clothes will become LOOSE. I highly doubt anyone wants LOOSE weight unless they have a LOOSE screw. Please think before you play fast and LOOSE with advice. To the OP, cut LOOSE this topic thread and seek professional advice from someone who knows your medical history and goals. LOSE yourself in loving that grandbaby!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    all I got to say is here's a link:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    They recommend at least 1200 cals per day and I personally do not believe that's even enough! YOU CANNOT STARVE YOURSELF LEAN!! I eat 2000 cal per day to maintain and I'm pushing 40 so I would think more on the lines of 1400 cals per day, especially if you're working out. EAT! You cannot live the rest of your life eating only 900 cals per day, you're setting yourself up for failure, rebound weight gain, and possibly an eating disorder. Eat several small meals/snacks per day, every 2.5-3 hours and build muscle to help increase your metabolism. I do all that and it's how I can eat 2000 cals per day as an older woman...
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump.... if only for entertainment value!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    900 cals a day? Are you a smurf?

No .... a Smurfette!

Too few calories... c'mon
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Really...?

It's water fluctuations. Weight changes take much more time than 4 days, if you weigh yourself more than once or twice a month you're just looking at day to day changes in water weight. Totally silly, even a month is a small measurement of time when it comes to body changes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and we'll see if we can help. Be sure you are eating salads . . . they burn off more calories to digest than they contain.

I agree you could be constipated and also, sometimes proteins contain alot of sodium and you could be holding onto water weight. That is exactly what is happening to me right now. I don't even salt my food and I still get too much sodium. Very frustrating if you like cured meats.

Some very good advice given here, the best of which is patience.

I enjoy my foods very much. . . perhaps you can look in my diary for ideas (although I do get too much salt sometimes. I wish I could post photos of my foods, haven't figured out how yet.

Exercise builds muscle which will help accelerate weight loss, improve mobility, longevity, circulation, sense of well-being.

Ruth

Negative calories? Don't we all wish ..... eat veggies because they are high in fiber & high in nutrients .... sorry, but they are NOT negative calories :huh:
  • stephanieharmon
    stephanieharmon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started a nutrition class .. Im 5'6 and currently weigh 187 pounds .. I have to eat no less than 1350 calories a day and 35 grams of protein plus 90 ounces of water. When I do this consisently I lose an average of 2 pounds a week !!! My calories are net so if I exercise I have to eat more to get the net calories to 1350. Hope this makes sense.