900 calories and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of well meaning people on this board who swear that there is a standard (healthy calorie level) for everybody ....That is so not true! When in doubt....ALWAYS SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE and Guidance..
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.
    Let's use another term rather than "starvation mode".
    Call it "stifled metabolism".

Anyway, she needs to eat more. We all agree.

Perfect term :) I am using that from now on.

I second, I have read starvation mode about 30 times in this topic.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.

Please stop making things up, you're not helping anyone

This is basic science fact.

Also it's what someone with a Phd in nutrition (aka my nutritionist) has told me.
  • tracylgorman
    tracylgorman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist. EAT MORE and EXERCISE!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

No disrespect to them....But have you ever seen a picture of people in concertration camps. Tell them "starvation mode" will make you fat.

NOT COOL!

My grandfather fought in that war and I have known him to be incredibly traumatized by what he's seen.

Those people were fed mostly only dry bread and water and had to work their butt off doing incredibly heavy labour for nearly 20 hours a day. Most were in those camps for years, and you think it is weird that they looked skinny?
    At some point their bodies got so little food, that it had to use the fat reserves in order to NOT DIE.
    Many have actually died from being underfed and exhausted.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    starvation mode!!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options

bull****
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    starvation mode!!

lol, this guy ^
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look at other people's food log , that will give you some idea what to eat......if you look at mine I'm not always perfect!
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was going to reply to defend the idea of a 'starvation mode' but after doing some searching I found I misunderstood the concept. If you eat below you daily minimum calories to maintain weight and you're at your ideal weight your metabolism will adjust itself to try to keep as much of the fat and nutrients as possible, this does not happen if you're overweight.

"In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight."

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

I would attribute your weight gain to lack of data more than anything, I know personally my weight can fluctuate a couple pounds in either direction which would make me crazy if I weighed myself daily. I limit myself to one weigh in a week for that reason alone. Definitely stick to 'real' food and keep in mind that your weight can fluctuate even though the long term trend is that you're losing weight. I can't really comment on the 900 calories, it seems low to me but for your build / lifestyle it may be right for you, the important thing is that your taking in enough nutrients to be healthy and try not to lose weight too fast. I'm no expert but from what I've read running a calorie deficit of more than 500 calories a day and/or losing more than 2-3 pounds a day (if you're doing it at home without supervision) is not good.
    Be careful, be safe and good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options

No disrespect to them....But have you ever seen a picture of people in concertration camps. Tell them "starvation mode" will make you fat.

NOT COOL!

My grandfather fought in that war and I have known him to be incredibly traumatized by what he's seen.

Those people were fed mostly only dry bread and water and had to work their butt off doing incredibly heavy labour for nearly 20 hours a day. Most were in those camps for years, and you think it is weird that they looked skinny?
    At some point their bodies got so little food, that it had to use the fat reserves in order to NOT DIE.
    Many have actually died from being underfed and exhausted.

I don't think anything disrespectful was meant by their comment. starvation mode is a bunch of crap and for me, not much truth behind it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    please help I hate this 900 calories of cardboard for four days and gained two pounds!!! not really carboard eggs protein bars etc

Lets not even talk about the extra 500 she should be eating for breastfeeding...OP has serious issues and she doesnt know what shes doing.
    Long term at this rate and she may as well call it quits.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    Just to throw this out there, a lot of general practitioners aren't THAT informed about nutrition. If you don't want to go by the MFP guidelines [which are pretty good, really], go to an actual dietitian to get a diet plan going.

Remember, you didn't gain all the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight, or 4 days, or 30 days. It might be slow, and you might have setbacks here and there, but it WILL happen if you do it in a safe, healthy way. :) Good luck!
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    No one should or would gain actual weight on 900 cals a day!! It's prob H20. That said, eat at least 1200, start moving and pay attention to macros. Watch your sodium and carbs and eat plenty of lean protein. Drink plenty of water too. Good luck
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    please help I hate this 900 calories of cardboard for four days and gained two pounds!!! not really carboard eggs protein bars etc

Lets not even talk about the extra 500 she should be eating for breastfeeding...OP has serious issues and she doesnt know what shes doing.
    Long term at this rate and she may as well call it quits.

The OP is 53. I highly doubt that is her newborn baby
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE! FEED YOUR BODY!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that you are gaining weight. You say you "hate" your 900 calorie diet, well so does your body.

Your stress is causing you to gain weight. Abdominal fat has twice the amount of cortisol producing cells than anywhere else in the body. Under stress, like fasting, cortisol will cause your body to store more fat around the mid-section. See in depth article on how this happens here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/188452-exercise-and-cortisol-for-belly-fat/

You need to go to a healthy way of losing weight. If you do, you will be much happier which equates to less stress, which equates to less cortisol in the body (that sabotages you).
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    First of all, I doubt that the weight is fat, it is most likely water weight. People can have normal fluctuations of a couple of pounds depending on when they weigh. I wouldnt be too concerned about it. While I do not hold to the belief that you will "starve" on 900 calories a day, it wouldnt be a bad to increase it a little and see if that helps. I typically take in anywhere from 800-1050 cal per day and I am certainly not starving. I have plenty of energy and I do normally work out, although not this week since I had gall bladder surgery on friday. If you have been exercising, you could also be having water retention in your muscles. Just try and focus on maintaining a healthy balance of food and exercise and the weight will come off.
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    EAT....EAT....EAT! you need to be getting in at least a minimum of 1200 calories a day, and getting a minimum of 8 glasses of water. Your body probably thinks it's starving and is holding onto everthing it can. Eat clean (as much as you can), and exercise...and eat back those burned calories...as many of them as you can, and you should see some results. Good luck!
  • brionyclark
    Options
    eat celery 1 stick contains around 6 calories but your body burns around 50 cal's digesting it!!!! helps with the snacking indulgences★☆★★★★