what do you sweeten your tea and coffee with?

Options

Replies

• afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    stoic motivation: I like the bitter taste of losing fat

I like this answer the best - I'm inspired.

I love my coffee with sugar, but this gives me reason to pause: just suck it up black or go without . . .
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Honey is higher in calories than sugar, and "natural" does not automatically mean better for you. I use sugar. I just don't over do it. What's the point of having tea or coffee if it doesn't taste good?
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I usually add 2 tsp of sugar, bt since taking this journey, adding nothing. I no longer drink sweet tea...unsweetened now.
  • maddicrawf
    maddicrawf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Normally I drink my coffee black, but occasionally I need something sweet in it. I use either, Truvia, Splenda, or honey. Honey would be good if you don't like the taste of Truvia in your tea.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    coffee - sugar in the raw
    tea - nothing
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    sometimes i drink my coffee black. Or i'll add 1 tsp of non dairy powdered creamer (10 calories).
    i never put sugar or cream in my tea.
  • halarson24
    halarson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to add spices to my coffee grounds before brewing. The cinnamon helps trick your tongue into thinking you're enjoying something sweeter than you are. Recipe below:

http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-like-it-latte-spice-up-your-morning.html

In good health,

Holly
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use natural cane sugar or xylitol along with almond milk in my coffee. I've acquired the taste for unsweetened iced tea.
  • Toyah35
    Toyah35 Posts: 13
    Options
    I consistently use splenda, 4 packs with my coffee and 3 with my tea
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Coffee with heavy cream rocks.

And a lot of it too.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I like my coffee/tea black!

Same here! Or try a tiny bit of vanilla silk, it is sweet, plus it adds a little creaminess. But I usually take mine black.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    coconut sugar by Madhava (got it on Amazon)

because of this:

http://coconutpalmsugar.com/Nutritional_Information.html

And that is when I happen to sweeten my coffee. I prefer it black or with some heavy whipping cream. But if I want sweet then I just have sweet. I would rather use something natural than something chemical.

Get this. A packet of Splenda contains this: dextrose, maltodextrin, and sucralose. The artifical sweetener is the sucralose. And in the body do you know what dextrose and maltodextrin turn into once we digest them? Sugar. Both of them. They are filling the packet of an artificial sweetener with "sugar" fillers. So, start looking at the ingredients on those artificial sweeteners. Most of them are filled with "sugar".

Do some looking online and you will find out just how many different words there are for sugar when it comes to ingredients. That's how those wonderful food companies hide it.

Remember that real food doesn't contain ingredients. Real food is an ingredient.
    Only eat what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear.

Words ... Of ... Wisdom :)

Grok On!
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Agave but that is really high on the glycemic index (as is honey) or coconut palm sugar which is much lower on the index (http://coconutpalmsugar.com/Glycemic_Index_Explained.html).

I mostly fall back on the artificial (sucrolose which is made from sugar) since it is more convenient to carry with me.

That's funny because I bought Agave In The Raw and the label says "Low glycemic index"
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Equal or other off-brand blue stuff., and SF hazelnut syrup.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I really like the German Rock Sugar available at Teavana for my tea. 1/2 teaspoon provides just enough sweet.
  • battynat12
    Options
    I use agave nectar or sugar in the raw, I know it is not great to use sugar in my tea and coffee, but as long as I log it in my food diary I figure it is ok. It is when I don't count the calories that I run into problems.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Coffee - no sweetener, just half/half or milk
    Tea - sugar or Splenda ... but it depends on what kind of tea. I'm still influenced by the way my Irish grandmother made her tea. Either Lipton or PG TIps, brewed very dark, with milk and sugar.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    "I like my women like I like my coffee, strong, black, and bitter!"

No, seriously, I don't add sweetener or milk to either my coffee or tea. I guess the one exception is the Coffee Mate Sweet Italian Cream stuff I buy every now and then for a treat. I usually put a teaspoon in a double shot of espresso when I have time to fire up the Breville espresso machine in the AM.
  • Paw4awhile
    Options
    I have Sweetex in my Tea or Coffee.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I use Natural Bliss Coffee Mate coffee creamer or almond milk and honey in my coffee. Not much of a tea drinker, but I use honey in that, as well.