"You lost weight."

Options
1235»

Replies

• Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    its kinda 50/50 for instance when the gym receptionist said it, it made my day...when a former coworker did i felt like telling her she must've found it
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    ****...someone calls me out and comments "hey you've lost weight." I say thank you and continue on with our talk or it was in passing I would have a smile on my face. It was hard work to get here and if people notice so be it.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I definitely see it is a good thing for someone to say that. A guy friend of mine noticed on the 4th of July that I have lost weight and told me I had a "beach body". People notice when you have weight on you, especially if they are your friend. So, they will notice if you lose weight.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I think people are way too friggan sensitive.

Someone getting offended that a friend noticed WL is so odd to me.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Some people are just looking to be offended or so damn sensitive that butterfly wings make them bleed. You were not out of line. Not at all. I've lost 32 lbs since April. If one of my friends or neighbors said "You lost weight" I'd be THRILLED because it wld mean that my hard work was not only paying off but showing.

this^^
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If a person has talked to you (or very openly) about wanting to lose weight or get into better shape --> comment away. (Which is why I don't think OP has anything to feel bad about.)

If they have never talked to you about it and don't talk openly about it, stick to the generic compliments. When someone dyes their hair, we say, "Love the new color!" not "So much less gray than it used to be!"

I think people can be sensitive because even when you comment nicely on something they didn't like about themselves and worked to change, it reminds them of what they didn't like and reminds them that other people agree that it wasn't something to like, and it embarrasses them. If someone had severe acne and got it treated, they probably don't want to hear, "Hey, you've lost zits!" Plus, even when the comments are nice and simple, you have no idea what they are following up. People can be pretty nasty and passive aggressive with their "compliments."