The Food Industry and Obesity

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Jack Lalanne used to say 60 years ago and up until he died at age 96.
    IF MAN MAKES IT, DON'T EAT IT
    And that is the ideal I strive toward while making allowances for treats and just living life.
    I eat that way 70% of the time.
    Good Enough :bigsmile:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I worry about the chemicals in my food. I can't afford things like grass-fed beef. I worry about pesticides, too. Mainly because of cancer, but of course those chemicals can do all kinds of little things to our bodies and go undetected because we don't know enough about our bodies yet, especially about what goes on in our brains. Scary.

But there is another reason we eat more. And it is partly because of mass-produced, cheap foods. We can eat more. 100 years ago, if you hogged down on 3000 calories, you might not be able to afford to eat tomorrow. If you farmed, you knew to control your appetite and put some aside for another day.

Of course it doesn't help that 100 years ago, we didn't have food ads in our faces all day and night. If those didn't have an effect on people, companies wouldn't waste ridiculous amounts of money creating them.

And 100 years ago, there were obese Americans. Not very many compared to now, but they did exist.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Lol Hyman, lol Huffpo
    Industrial processing has given rise to an array of addictive, fattening, metabolism-jamming chemicals and compounds including aspartame, MSG (monosodium glutamate), high-fructose corn syrup and trans fats, to name the biggest offenders.

^ typical garbage spouted by Hyman

What is garbage about it??? It is the truth.

Do you like just falling in line with the government and believe what they tell you?

Tell me how the listed compounds are fattening and in what dosages make them fattening? Metabolically how are MSG and naturally occurring glutamate different, same goes for HFCS and sucrose.

Do you like just listening to quacks and tin foil hat wearers and falling in line and believing what they tell you?

Enjoy!

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274/the-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11361.cfm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195953-risks-of-gmo/
  • ctooch99
    Options
    And that is the ideal I strive toward while making allowances for treats and just living life.

THIS!!!
  • emscat78
    emscat78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. The people who are downing this article probably have not experienced a detox from these harmful substances. From what I have learned, the foods we crave the most and feel we could never give up are usually the ones we are most allergic or intolerant of. They create an addiction by the release of neurochemicals... in the same way highly addictive drugs do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    This is why you don't find stray animals roaming around in Asian neighborhoods.....................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    "There are no diets, no calorie counting, and no measuring fats, carbs or protein grams. None of that matters if you choose real, whole, fresh, live foods. If you choose quality, the rest takes Care of itself"

This goes against the whole MFP system which lost me 36Lbs of fat
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    "if it grows on a plant, eat it. If its made in a plant, dont"
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ctooch99
    Options
    This is why you don't find stray animals roaming around in Asian neighborhoods.....................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hahaha - honestly, I think one is better off eating stir-fry cat than anything produced by Monsanto...

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree with you. The people who are downing this article probably have not experienced a detox from these harmful substances. From what I have learned, the foods we crave the most and feel we could never give up are usually the ones we are most allergic or intolerant of. They create an addiction by the release of neurochemicals... in the same way highly addictive drugs do.
    Subjective. I've done it several times (when I prepped for competition). What's the first thing I usually ate after a competition (along with several other competitive bodybuilders)? A REAL PIZZA. And the restrictive diets were usually for at least 16 weeks, which is more than long enough to "detox" (you don't really detox) the body from the "harmful" foods suggested.
    The REAL issue with health stems first from being overweight/obese, not the chemicals in food. With fast food and processed foods, the problem is convenience and the high calorie value per serving and the fact that most people today don't eat 1 serving, but 4 or 5.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Here's one for ya:

I like that one!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    Wait, does marijuana count here?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • debidoo2
    debidoo2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I believe that eating whole foods is definately the way to go . If I stick to unprocessed foods, I no longer crave junk food. When I fall off the wagon, and eat junk, I begin to crave it again.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lol Hyman, lol Huffpo
    Industrial processing has given rise to an array of addictive, fattening, metabolism-jamming chemicals and compounds including aspartame, MSG (monosodium glutamate), high-fructose corn syrup and trans fats, to name the biggest offenders.

I don't know anything about Hyman - but why would anyone disagree with this statement? Monsanto has your best interest and health in mind?? You can put their GMO garbage in YOUR body - Thanks, I will pass in favor of my local farmers and small markets...
    Because MSG is a naturally occurring compound, not man made? Because HFCS is chemically identical in the human body to natural sugar? Because there are naturally occurring trans fats, and the body is perfectly capable of processing them without issue?

How about the fact that the statement isn't true, and it's 100% fear mongering? The first third of the article was fine, but when someone devolves into writing lies and inventing sensationalist claims with the express reason of scaring people instead of actually educating them on the truth, then the entire article becomes invalidated. The credibility is completely destroyed.

You can eat natural, whole foods, and still get plenty of MSG, sugar (honey in particular is basically identical to HFCS in its fructose/sucrose ratio,) and trans fats.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    Hemlock grows on a plant, cheese is made in a plant. Which would you rather eat?
  • ctooch99
    Options
    ...The REAL issue with health stems first from being overweight/obese, not the chemicals in food. With fast food and processed foods, the problem is convenience and the high calorie value per serving and the fact that most people today don't eat 1 serving, but 4 or 5.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't disagree with this, but I think there is more to it than this. Commercial food is a HUGE business in this country - HUGE. It is in the interest of large commercial food companies to shape the beliefs of the consumers of their products - it is intrinsic to their survival.

Is Fructose a natural substance? - yep - you eat it every time you eat an apple. In this vein, commercial food companies will deceptively market their products as "natural" or "healthy" because they contain frustose and are not required (legally or ethically) do do anything else. The reality is their food contains HFCS which is a WAY different monster physically and metabolically to the body.

Is personal education part of this? You better believe it. I for one enjoy being referred to as a "tin foil hat wearer" - I know this means I know the deal and I am not buying into it anymore. Ads for fast food, soda, "healthy cereals" all the colorful and descriptive marketing in the supermarket aisles are just noise to me now - I can see the code of the Matrix and I am empowered and I think more people need to be this way. Consumers have a HUGE power - they are a sleeping giant...
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Lol Hyman, lol Huffpo

I don't know anything about Hyman - but why would anyone disagree with this statement? Monsanto has your best interest and health in mind?? You can put their GMO garbage in YOUR body - Thanks, I will pass in favor of my local farmers and small markets...
    Because MSG is a naturally occurring compound, not man made? Because HFCS is chemically identical in the human body to natural sugar? Because there are naturally occurring trans fats, and the body is perfectly capable of processing them without issue?

How about the fact that the statement isn't true, and it's 100% fear mongering? The first third of the article was fine, but when someone devolves into writing lies and inventing sensationalist claims with the express reason of scaring people instead of actually educating them on the truth, then the entire article becomes invalidated. The credibility is completely destroyed.

You can eat natural, whole foods, and still get plenty of MSG, sugar (honey in particular is basically identical to HFCS in its fructose/sucrose ratio,) and trans fats.

Yeah sorry, I don't see it this way - first off HFCS is process way differently metabolically - and HFCS amplifies this way more. Arsenic is a naturally occurring substance too - as is lead and botulism - not understanding your point on that one chief - so becasue MSG is naturally occurring, one should not be aware of ingesting it in their food?? One should not care if companies are adding tons of it to so called "healthy foods"???

Tin Foil Hat Wearers = those smart enough to ask questions and be skeptical...
    Sheep = those who blindly follow what paid-for politicians and corporate lackies sell them as the truth...
  • tigersword
    Options
    HFCS is NOT different metabolically in the body. It's split into sucrose and fructose, just like any other polysaccharide that contains glucose and fructose, and processed just like any other sugar. There are thousands of different molecular combinations of sugar out there, HFCS is certainly not unique. The human body has specific enzymes specifically for digesting these different combinations.

The human body really isn't as stupid as these fear mongerers want you to believe it is. It has a very good understanding of chemistry and biology, even if you don't.

As for MSG, it's naturally occurring in just about every natural food on the planet. It's in meat, mushrooms, asparagus, nori, kelp, fish, etc. Hell, glutamate is an amino acid MADE BYTHE HUMAN BODY. Yes, it's obviously poison. :huh:
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    Hemlock grows on a plant, cheese is made in a plant. Which would you rather eat?

Hmmm - yeah I am still thinkin; hemlock has more health benefits than cheese - good try though!

http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.com/2011/09/hemlock-socrates-nemesis-health.html