The Food Industry and Obesity

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Jack Lalanne used to say 60 years ago and up until he died at age 96.
    IF MAN MAKES IT, DON'T EAT IT
    And that is the ideal I strive toward while making allowances for treats and just living life.
    I eat that way 70% of the time.
    Good Enough :bigsmile:

Word!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    "if it grows on a plant, eat it. If its made in a plant, dont"

• ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    HFCS is NOT different metabolically in the body. It's split into sucrose and fructose, just like any other polysaccharide that contains glucose and fructose, and processed just like any other sugar. There are thousands of different molecular combinations of sugar out there, HFCS is certainly not unique. The human body has specific enzymes specifically for digesting these different combinations.

The human body really isn't as stupid as these fear mongerers want you to believe it is. It has a very good understanding of chemistry and biology, even if you don't.

As for MSG, it's naturally occurring in just about every natural food on the planet. It's in meat, mushrooms, asparagus, nori, kelp, fish, etc. Hell, glutamate is an amino acid MADE BYTHE HUMAN BODY. Yes, it's obviously poison. :huh:

From article on Diabetis Health:

"Leptin tells your body to stop eating when it’s full by signaling the brain to stop sending hunger signals. Since fructose doesn’t stimulate glucose levels and insulin release, there’s no increase in leptin levels or feeling of satiety. This can leave you ripe for unhealthy weight gain.

Fructose requires a different metabolic pathway than other carbohydrates because it basically skips glycolysis (normal carbohydrate metabolism). Because of this, fructose is an unregulated source of “acetyl CoA,” or the starting material for fatty acid synthesis. This, coupled with unstimulated leptin levels, is like opening the flood gates of fat deposition"

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274/the-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup/
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I swear, you'd think this was a religious forum the way everyone tries to push their agenda and beliefs onto other people. Seriously, just replace a few words here and there, and you have the same zealotry as on any christian, atheist, muslim, etc... forum.

Is whole food better? I don't know, and can't tell you. It seems like both sides of the debate go out of their ways to cloud up the facts, because they're trying to get one over on the other guy.

Sadly, unless the world population is drastically reduced... and I mean drastically... factory farming is here to stay. There just aren't enough mom and pop farmers to support the amount of people that are already here.

In closing... (I learned that in the persuasive writing unit of English in high school :bigsmile: ) why don't we just quit arguing about it? No one is going to convince the other person that is dead set in their beliefs that their way is better.

At this point, I almost think you guys are deliberately trolling, because you want to argue.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    Hemlock grows on a plant, cheese is made in a plant. Which would you rather eat?

Hmmm - yeah I am still thinkin; hemlock has more health benefits than cheese - good try though!

http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.com/2011/09/hemlock-socrates-nemesis-health.html
    LOL, go ahead and eat equal sized portions of hemlock and cheese, see which one causes more health issues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    ...The REAL issue with health stems first from being overweight/obese, not the chemicals in food. With fast food and processed foods, the problem is convenience and the high calorie value per serving and the fact that most people today don't eat 1 serving, but 4 or 5.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't disagree with this, but I think there is more to it than this. Commercial food is a HUGE business in this country - HUGE. It is in the interest of large commercial food companies to shape the beliefs of the consumers of their products - it is intrinsic to their survival.

Is Fructose a natural substance? - yep - you eat it every time you eat an apple. In this vein, commercial food companies will deceptively market their products as "natural" or "healthy" because they contain frustose and are not required (legally or ethically) do do anything else. The reality is their food contains HFCS which is a WAY different monster physically and metabolically to the body.

Is personal education part of this? You better believe it. I for one enjoy being referred to as a "tin foil hat wearer" - I know this means I know the deal and I am not buying into it anymore. Ads for fast food, soda, "healthy cereals" all the colorful and descriptive marketing in the supermarket aisles are just noise to me now - I can see the code of the Matrix and I am empowered and I think more people need to be this way. Consumers have a HUGE power - they are a sleeping giant...
    Understanding how human physiology works is where people get lost. Everything in our body is a chemical reaction. Even thinking. The body is VERY VERY effective at chemical breakdown of anything we ingest and directs it's simplest form to where it needs to go. HFCS is broken down to the same simple form that unprocessed fruit sugar is. And is absorbed the same way.
    Can chemicals affect people? Of course since we are all different. Some have allergic/physical reactions some don't. Just like caffeine affects some and some don't. I believe that if a chemical additive in food was totally KILLING people with convincing evidence that it's the CAUSE and not just correlated, it would be pulled off the market.
    In reality, you're hearing practically all the health related issues today directly associated with weight. Thinner/leaner people aren't suffering from eating processed man made foods in comparison to the millions who are and are overweight/obese.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    HFCS is NOT different metabolically in the body. It's split into sucrose and fructose, just like any other polysaccharide that contains glucose and fructose, and processed just like any other sugar. There are thousands of different molecular combinations of sugar out there, HFCS is certainly not unique. The human body has specific enzymes specifically for digesting these different combinations.

The human body really isn't as stupid as these fear mongerers want you to believe it is. It has a very good understanding of chemistry and biology, even if you don't.

As for MSG, it's naturally occurring in just about every natural food on the planet. It's in meat, mushrooms, asparagus, nori, kelp, fish, etc. Hell, glutamate is an amino acid MADE BYTHE HUMAN BODY. Yes, it's obviously poison. :huh:

"Leptin tells your body to stop eating when it’s full by signaling the brain to stop sending hunger signals. Since fructose doesn’t stimulate glucose levels and insulin release, there’s no increase in leptin levels or feeling of satiety. This can leave you ripe for unhealthy weight gain.

Fructose requires a different metabolic pathway than other carbohydrates because it basically skips glycolysis (normal carbohydrate metabolism). Because of this, fructose is an unregulated source of “acetyl CoA,” or the starting material for fatty acid synthesis. This, coupled with unstimulated leptin levels, is like opening the flood gates of fat deposition"

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274/the-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup/
    HFCS isn't free fructose. It's fructose paired with glucose (along with maltose, which is a double glucose molecule,) just like fructose is in nature. Fructose doesn't trigger lepton, but glucose does, just like when you eat fruit. HFCS is about 55% fructose to 41% glocose to 4% maltose. Most fresh fruits have a higher ratio of fructose to glucose, so trying to use this argument against HFCS actually condemns fruit as unhealthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Is whole food better? I don't know, and can't tell you. It seems like both sides of the debate go out of their ways to cloud up the facts, because they're trying to get one over on the other guy.
    I will say that it is better, however..............
    Sadly, unless the world population is drastically reduced... and I mean drastically... factory farming is here to stay. There just aren't enough mom and pop farmers to support the amount of people that are already here.
    You hit the nail on the head here! You know how many starving people there are that would be glad to eat a processed pizza?
    In closing... (I learned that in the persuasive writing unit of English in high school :bigsmile: ) why don't we just quit arguing about it? No one is going to convince the other person that is dead set in their beliefs that their way is better.
    We debate it because there will be some that will read it that may be stuck on the fence.
    I am part of the fitness industry, but despise a lot about it. Lots of "broscience" is still hanging around even in the face of actual peer reviewed clinical study that totally debunks some of what is being stated by it. So personally I like to debate it because I am on the other side, but with a more practical view.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain George Burns lived to be 100, smoked at least 10 cigars a day, drank hard liquor and enjoyed his pasta and non-grass fed red meat. Longevity is as much genetic with a good dose of luck as it is "healthy" living.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    ...The REAL issue with health stems first from being overweight/obese, not the chemicals in food. With fast food and processed foods, the problem is convenience and the high calorie value per serving and the fact that most people today don't eat 1 serving, but 4 or 5.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't disagree with this, but I think there is more to it than this. Commercial food is a HUGE business in this country - HUGE. It is in the interest of large commercial food companies to shape the beliefs of the consumers of their products - it is intrinsic to their survival.

Is Fructose a natural substance? - yep - you eat it every time you eat an apple. In this vein, commercial food companies will deceptively market their products as "natural" or "healthy" because they contain frustose and are not required (legally or ethically) do do anything else. The reality is their food contains HFCS which is a WAY different monster physically and metabolically to the body.

Is personal education part of this? You better believe it. I for one enjoy being referred to as a "tin foil hat wearer" - I know this means I know the deal and I am not buying into it anymore. Ads for fast food, soda, "healthy cereals" all the colorful and descriptive marketing in the supermarket aisles are just noise to me now - I can see the code of the Matrix and I am empowered and I think more people need to be this way. Consumers have a HUGE power - they are a sleeping giant...
    Repeating this just because I think it's worth repeating.
  • ctooch99
    Options

HFCS isn't free fructose. It's fructose paired with glucose (along with maltose, which is a double glucose molecule,) just like fructose is in nature. Fructose doesn't trigger lepton, but glucose does, just like when you eat fruit. HFCS is about 55% fructose to 41% glocose to 4% maltose. Most fresh fruits have a higher ratio of fructose to glucose, so trying to use this argument against HFCS actually condemns fruit as unhealthy.

I am not a biochemist by any means, but your logic just is - well "not logical" (no offense) - So you are basically saying whether I eat two apples with naturally occurring Fructose or I drink a Big Gulp with a ton of HFCS, both are equally going to affect my body the same way and it really does not matter which one I choose on a daily basis? That is what I am hearing as the cruxt of your points... Hmmmm.

Maybe at a molecular level, the sugar is the same (but from what I am reading it seems the science is in debate on that - enough for me to be skeptical in favor of my health), but the issue here is how our foods are marketed and sold to us, not necessarily how the body processes them at a molecular level.

I have said several times in this thread - yeah Fructose is natural - hooray - I will give you a science star for proving that to us. Arsenic is natural too. Concentrating fructose, processing and jamming it into an OJ bottle and selling it to the public as "natural" is purely deceptive and for those who choose to blindly buy the marketing (aka the non Tin Foil Hat wearers) - enjoy the obesity and health issues - I will eat my two apples grown at the local farm and pass.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I will say that it is better, however..............
    You hit the nail on the head here! You know how many starving people there are that would be glad to eat a processed pizza?
    We debate it because there will be some that will read it that may be stuck on the fence.
    I am part of the fitness industry, but despise a lot about it. Lots of "broscience" is still hanging around even in the face of actual peer reviewed clinical study that totally debunks some of what is being stated by it. So personally I like to debate it because I am on the other side, but with a more practical view.

IDEA Fitness member
    Respectfully disagreeing and debating is one thing but trolling for an argument and to flex you ego muscle is quite another.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I'm fairly certain George Burns lived to be 100, smoked at least 10 cigars a day, drank hard liquor and enjoyed his pasta and non-grass fed red meat. Longevity is as much genetic with a good dose of luck as it is "healthy" living.

I buy that - I do. But I also think most of his life was unaffected by GMOs and HFCS in every food item he bought and ate from the local grocery store... His generation ate way more simply and basically...(and during the Depression did not have much available to them at all)...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

I buy that - I do. But I also think most of his life was unaffected by GMOs and HFCS in every food item he bought and ate from the local grocery store... His generation ate way more simply and basically...(and during the Depression did not have much available to them at all)...
    The collective poisoning of the population did not begin in earnest until the 70's, and that is when the obesity rate began its creep.
    It's not about G Burns but our collective health and what is a major contributing factor.
    Again, Jack Lalanne warned us 60 years ago.
    And here is one such video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVEPB_l8FU
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this article. Obviously, our current way of eating in the U.S. is killing us. Obesity and diabetes rates are out of control. Example...my family has always been overweight...even going back in teh generations to when they ate real foods, but now that we are eating all processed junk, we are even bigger. My sister took a summer job in China a few years ago. She left at about 260 pounds. She came back about 30-40 pounds lighter after only 2-3 months! She reported that they ate out every night. The difference is that they do NOT have all the additives, chemicals, and processed foods there. They were eating REAL foods. She has been back in the U.S. for about 2 years and has put on about 60 pounds...she is a teacher and eats school lunches...she also stops at fast-food a lot as she works an hour from home. Obviously, she is responsible for what she puts in her mouth, but I would bet my bottom dollar that she did not magically gain willpower while in China and then come back and lose it all.

The BBC has a good series going right now called "The Men Who Made Us Fat." It is a 3 part series...I think the third installment comes out this week. I found it very interesting.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather eat something fresh made than from a box or can anyday. The taste is amazing over the other stuff.
    Not that I eat completely clean. I like my yogurt and cheese. I eat asparagus from a can,but like it fresh as well. And I make the best baked beans, but have never done it from fresh dried beans, but may have to try it. I can not go completely clean as there are some things I don't want to give up. But I eat fresh veggies. And nothing that I can think of right now from a box. I don't eat fast food anymore, only bite or two now and then. I feel good I have tons of energy and exercise 5 days a week sometimes 6 and 7 days, just depends.

I agree though with all the additives from the boxed and canned stuff it is what's making us fat, because we choose to put it in our mouth we are making us fat and both of us are to blaim for it, them because they make it and us because we choose to eat it.

I know someone who feeds her family pretty much home made stuff and her family is still fat, but she chooses to feed them fresh baked cakes, cupcakes, cookies and crap every single day along with the homemade from scratch food. Can't have it both ways, eat good but give processed sugar in your everyday food.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I swear, you'd think this was a religious forum the way everyone tries to push their agenda and beliefs onto other people. Seriously, just replace a few words here and there, and you have the same zealotry as on any christian, atheist, muslim, etc... forum.

At this point, I almost think you guys are deliberately trolling, because you want to argue.

But ya know what? Who's fault is this really? I mean, if you are an individual trying to educate yourself on ANYTHING now days you are immediately labeled "conspiracy nut", "tin foil hat wearer" etc. As someone who worked for the (absolutely insidious, greedy, criminal) pharma industry, I know first hand that THE number one priority of large corporations is stock price - period.

That's fine - I accept that - but the zealotry you speak of is created by these companies - not by individuals who are looking to educate themselves, improve their lives or the lives of those they love and care about. I honestly could care less if anyone changes their mind because of my posts on here - the reason I choose to share is because I have the freedom to do so and because I do not feel that all of the information being put out here is accurate or at the very least un-biased.

If people feel that commercially produced, processed food is fine and healthy - then I say have at it, gorge yourself on Soda, Hot Pockets, pink slime burgers and Ring Dings... I know that I have eliminated 85 percent of this stuff from my diet and the results are non debatable to me - my weight is down lower than it ever has been, my strength and fitness are the highest they have ever been, I am mentally sharper and more focused - I have more energy.

I intend to support my local food producers and small markets because they are members of the community where I live - not some multinational food conglomerate who's only concern is their share price. They produce great products for me and my family that increase our health and vitality and I want that to continue.

Whatever your opinion - educate yourself to the facts on both sides - responsible large companies who produce good products and market them honestly certainly should exist in our society along with small independents. If educating yourself means you are a "tin foil hat wearer" then give me some polish so I can shine mine up! Peace

BTW - what is the origin of Tin Foil Hat wearer anyway? Isn't that like a UFO thing?
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Tell me how the listed compounds are fattening and in what dosages make them fattening? Metabolically how are MSG and naturally occurring glutamate different, same goes for HFCS and sucrose.

Do you like just listening to quacks and tin foil hat wearers and falling in line and believing what they tell you?

That is where you don't know anything about me. I question everything. I see the difference it has made for me and my husband and some of my family members.

Look around at Society. I see plenty of people that are exercising, eating the way the Dietician told them to eat, counting calories and not loosing weight until they switch their eating back to a simple approach...................fresh, whole foods.

NO ONE CAN DISPUTE THAT EATING WHOLE FOODS IS TRULY THE WAY TO GO.

You all are the ones making excuses for eating your crap junk.

Way to completely avoid the question.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lol Hyman, lol Huffpo
    Industrial processing has given rise to an array of addictive, fattening, metabolism-jamming chemicals and compounds including aspartame, MSG (monosodium glutamate), high-fructose corn syrup and trans fats, to name the biggest offenders.

^ typical garbage spouted by Hyman

What is garbage about it??? It is the truth.

Do you like just falling in line with the government and believe what they tell you?

Tell me how the listed compounds are fattening and in what dosages make them fattening? Metabolically how are MSG and naturally occurring glutamate different, same goes for HFCS and sucrose.

Do you like just listening to quacks and tin foil hat wearers and falling in line and believing what they tell you?

Enjoy!

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11361.cfm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195953-risks-of-gmo/

Let's try some peer-reviewed and/or academic articles, rather than more pseudoscientific tripe.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Here's one for ya:
    Hemlock grows on a plant, cheese is made in a plant. Which would you rather eat?

Hmmm - yeah I am still thinkin; hemlock has more health benefits than cheese - good try though!

http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.com/2011/09/hemlock-socrates-nemesis-health.html
    LOL, go ahead and eat equal sized portions of hemlock and cheese, see which one causes more health issues.

Omg calm down really. This was just a quote I saw in an organic pizza shop me and my friends went to after a night of drinking. Just meant to be silly and cute not a freaking commandment to live by. Seriously lighten up. Or has all that msg and hfcs taken away your sense of humor???