Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options
I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I got rid because I said I would never be that big again! I donate mine to charity. :-)
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older.

does not compute
  • Brandie1558
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started at size 16-18 (XL tops) and am now a 10 (medium top) with the goal of size 8 (yes medium is good). I tossed everything from size 12 and up TODAY! Well I gave them away.

Not planning to get back to that time anytime soon, and by that I mean ever :happy:
  • tiki1078
    tiki1078 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree! Donate to charity or have a garage sell. Whatever you do get them out of your house. I lost weight and kept my old clothes and when I looked up I was wearing them again because I gained the weight back..... This time I'm getting rid of it all the minute its too big for me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I want fat clothes OUT OF MY LIFE!
    In this journey, I went through 3 major wardrobe changes. If we keep these fat clothes, we are planning weight gain.
    Burn them ALL or give them to Good Will.
    Leave yourself NOTHING to fall back on.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Box and hide away in basement garage attic or whatever you have. My husband won't let me donate mine, I have them boxed away. Just in case I get pregnant or something he tells me.
  • emmamma
    emmamma Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd say keep some, but not all. Donate or sell the ones you absolutely do not want, and keep a few of those cute ones in case a friend of yours who wears that size wants to borrow them. In the small chance you'll need those clothes again in the future, it's best to keep a few rather than go out and spend a ton of money on new ones.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Give to charity! Know what sucks about getting fatter? Having to buy more expensive clothes. What a great motivation to never gain the weight back!
  • Nikkihearts
    Options
    I would try to sell them on ebay, you know how hard it is for some of us chubby girls to find good deals on clothes.

To answer your original question - I've packed up the stuff that is too big. I still have a while to go yet, but i've already gone down 2 pants sizes, so a lot of my work clothes are too big. I figure once all the weight is gone, i'm going to sell the stuff that is still in good condition and use it to buy new clothes. Skinny girl clothes are so much more inexpensive than chubby girl clothes.

I wouldn't keep them because while you may think you'll need the clothes later in life, getting rid of them now may be the incentive you need to not fall back into bad patterns.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    If they're that nice of clothing and it's only a couple size difference I'd say get them taylored. It'll be more flattering to your figure and you get to keep the clothes you spent so much money on. Besides, it cheaper than getting new clothes.

And yea, you're kind of making excuses. You control your weight, not your age. I understand not wanting to waste clothes but the way you worded doesn't sound like waste. It sounds like you're planning for failure.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Salvation Army, Union Gospel Mission, or a homeless bank somewhere. :wink:
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

^^^ this! Don't tell yourself that you will wear them again some day. Vow to NEVER wear them again :happy:
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    If you hang on to them, you will always have that mentality that "I might wear them again." I say give them to Good Will or The Salvation Army. Let someone else benefit from them since they are still in good condition, because if you don't have them, you have a higher chance of never backsliding into them!

Also, getting older doesn't necessarily mean getting bigger. If you are going at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet, you have a higher chance of being a fine wine as you age. ;)
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I donated mine to Goodwill.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    It's hard to give up clothes, but I would suggest either give them to someone you know is that size, or donate them to Goodwill, or charity. Something like that. Don't just toss them out. Put them in a yardsale if you want a little money back.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sell them on Ebay and use the profit to buy stuff in your current size. Simples.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Depends what they are like. If they are sexy (which I very much doubt - nobody has sexy fat clothes) then get them altered. Otherwise, toss. Or, better yet, ritually burn - very satisfying!
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Alter or donate! As we get older, its even more and more important to maintain a healthy weight (so says my doctor)!

I am donating a few bags of clothes today :)
  • charliefocus
    charliefocus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have some size 10 pants - aka my fat pants - that I didnt use for a few years but came in handy after I had knee surgery and regained the weight. If you have the space - save some favorites, and give the rest to friends or charity.

amazing job on not needing them anymore! :)