Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options

Replies

• I want fat clothes OUT OF MY LIFE!
    In this journey, I went through 3 major wardrobe changes. If we keep these fat clothes, we are planning weight gain.
    Burn them ALL or give them to Good Will.
    Leave yourself NOTHING to fall back on.

^^This! At 41 yo, I still have all the clothes I grew out of and while I am thankful to have some clothes that now fit, I also realize that if I had not had any to grow back into, it may have motivated me to lose the minute I started gaining rather than when 100 lbs had come back. I am getting rid of EVERYTHING that doesn't fit me now.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I packed mine away and am saving them to use as maternity clothing ; p
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

I like this idea best. I sometimes regret donating my old clothes because now I'm back to that size, but I console myself with the fact that they probably wouldn't be in style anymore anyway.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You may treat yourself to a personal shopper/stylist to help you sort through it all. I went a few times (right after graduation, then every few years) and I have always loved my experience. They don't have the emotional attachment we can have to some particular pieces of clothing and for them it is easy to determine what should be kept, what is not fitting, what should be altered and kept, etc. Also, they can teach you how to pick clothes that will advantage your new size. Mine offered the wardrobe sorting service (coming at your own place), assisted shopping, and a variety of lessons as needed.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I sold mine on ebay and made a killing! £600 after fees! Allowed me to buy more things in my current size. Even if you ever wear those clothes again they probably will be very out of style.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I gave some of mine to a friend who was pregnant :grumble: and the rest to Goodwill. I wish I had kept 1 pair of pants to take a pic of me standing in them now, though.

But like others, I don't want anything that will make it any easier to go back to my old habits.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You could give them to a friend in need! One of my friends lost weight and very kindly gave me her old clothes. It was like Christmas! I had a whole new wardrobe!

To be honest, I suppose it's partly a finance question. If you feel you might put on weight and might not be able to afford the clothes, and have space to store them, then keep them. If you can afford to buy a few new things if you happened to put on weight, then you're free to get rid of them. If it was me, though, I might keep one or two things if I particularly liked them.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pack your favorites. And find a place that donates clothes. And give the rest away. Bless you
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    3 times I lost over 100 lbs & kept my fat clothes just in case......... this time is the last time for me, what about you? I got rid of them, all of them...... Tah Dah!
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    Donate them! No money wasted! You'll be helping someone else out and giving yourself a handful of good karma ;)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Toss them - donate them - just get them away from you. You earned it.
    My mentality is this - I still have boxes of my "skinny" clothes ranging from sizes 8 to 16 - you know the "one day I will fit back into these clothes" box. I don't want size 22s hanging around for "one day" - once I get to my goal - I'm there to stay so I don't need the "one day" box anymore.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I sold off 75% of my closet a few months ago in a garage sale. I never, EVER intend to let myself get that bad again.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Saying they'll fit when you're older is like admitting you're going to gain all the weight back. I'd say give them to charity.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them - there are lots of good programs out there that will take them and give them or sell them at a very low cost to women who can't afford to purchase work clothes new :)
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Donate donate donate. Once I was in single digit sizes I got rid of everything two digit and refuse to go back!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep some, because what if you do get bigger for a bit, because of pregnancy or age or illness (it happens), you don't want to spend money on a whole new wardrobe, even if it's temporary and you plan on losing the weight again. Especially because 8-10 isn't really that big at all, I went from a 6-8 to a 2 and I know that at some point someday I will not be a 2 haha. I'm the type that always plans ahead for emergencies, and I don't feel ANY temptation whatsoever to fall back into my "fat" clothes anymore, my small ones are newer and much cuter, I wouldn't worry about that. ;) The only time I'd consider donating is if you were super overweight, donate anything outside of a healthy bmi. :)
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a suit that I bought last year for £800.

I am going to sell it but right now I like putting it on every few weeks and seing how far I have come so far. 4 months ago it was starting to get tight. Now I look like a scarecrow with it on.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I'm in no place to go out and buy a lot of new clothes. I spent a lot on my clothes and its frustrating not having anything to wear. Craigslist the ones you are sick of looking at, keep very few that can be belted/altered (my large blouses I have converted into shirt dresses for casual days). Go buy new stuff with the money you made. :) Don't leave any room to go back.
  • emilywagers13
    Options
    I keep all of mine and the husbands fat clothes for craft purposes...I make rag rugs, flowers, headbands and hairbows out of them :)
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

I second this opinion.