Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options

Replies

• craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    give them away, or make a quilt out of them to remind you where you came from and that you don't want to go back.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I personally saved mine. The high quality business clothes are expensive and I will NOT get rid of them. I plan on finding a tailor to see if the pieces I really love can be taken in or replicated.

Other than that, I am not going to pretend that the possibility of falling off the wagon does not exist. I am a notorious yo-yo weighter and I refuse to throw all my clothing out in case I need it again someday. Do I plan on it??? Hell no, but if life goes south I want something to wear.

I will be depressed enough having gained the weight. I do NOT need to be further depressed trying to go shopping while feeling huge AND having to spend a s*** ton of money on those clothes. Therefore, I will be keeping some of my more expensive clothes from each of my sizes. I can buy cheaper things like jeans/t-shirts again if needed, but business clothes are damn expensive.

Having something to wear if my weight does balloon again will make the process less stressful/depressing, which I think is good. The way I think of it is, I may need something to wear while I'm working back toward my goal. :) Life doesn't always work out like we plan.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I gave all of mine to my parents. They do foster care and were able to share with some other families.

I wanted no part in keeping them around. If I can't wear the clothes I am in in the future, I want to work on it right away, not fall back to them just because I happen to have them already.
  • jenigeddon
    jenigeddon Posts: 16
    Options
    After I lost weight I threw all of my bigger clothes out because I didnt want to have them to fall back on.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them! If you save them, you're just making it okay to get to that size again. Why would you want to throw all of your hard work out the window?
    Keep your favorite pieces and have them altered to fit your new body. The rest need to be donated or sold at a garage sale.
    Good job on your loss!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Lose the clothes. It's too easy to say, "If I gain weight again I already have some clothes that I can wear." Don't make the excuses easy to realize.
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    Give them away---I bet a coworker would like them! I'd say send them my way...but I'm not at a 12 yet....it will be awhile. I'm a teacher, and I won't mind second hand clothes!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are located but I have heard of clothing swaps. Another idea would be maybe another teacher could use them. And a final thought is if you are near a local university would be donating them to a student teacher. I am a new teacher (starting my 3rd year in Aug.) and I know often that wardrobe is something that many can not afford.

Now if you want to try and sale them you could try craigslist, local listings on facebook, or a yard sale.

Also you may consider having a favorite or two altered.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm with Bobby. I kept all my fat clothes and I ended up using them again. This time there is NO going back. I am donating EVERYTHING to charity. And if I gain some weight....well, I will just have to UNgain it! :D
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Should I really toss all those great clothes?

YES! Only reason to keep the clothes is if you plan on gaining back the weight and size you have worked hard to lose. I understand nice clothes cost a good bit, but think of it as treating yourself to something nice since you've earned it. Another option is to check with local shops to see if any of the clothes you really really like can be taken in so they fit you now. That would probably cost less than buying all new.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I packed up only my favorites in each size that I have lost in one of those space saver bags. The rest I donated to a batter womens shelter. Then I tokk the bags in a plastic storage container and sealed it. With a date. I gave myself a time frame and I would go through them again in and see if I still thought I loved those clothes. If I do then I will reseal them. If not they will go to the battered womens shelter.

I understand clothes do cost alot. But I wont save anything I didn't love. And lets face it at some of my bigger sizes I didn't love anything on me. So those size all the clothes are gone.

Just don't leave the ones you save out for you to look at. Store them and try to forget about them. Don't give yourself that mind set ok I can gain x amount of lbs back cause I have something to wear. I don't even know where my husband put the bin for sure. I have an idea but would be hard for me to get to. I don't want to fall back into those closthes again. But lets face it as ladies we may if for now other reason a new child on the way.

Hope you continue postive results on your personal journey.
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ebay or Charity! You are now that slim healthy person you always wanted to be and you are going to stay that way :))
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat with size 6-14 clothing. I gave away my size 14 stuff to a friend who has lost weight (down from a 16). The size 10 clothing went to my mother-in-law and a friend at work. The rest is either going to Goodwill or I'll try to sell in a yard sale I'm having next week. A few of my nicer articles of clothing that I couldn't bear to part with was taken to an alterations shop to be made smaller. I'm also a teacher with nice clothes for work. Don't save anything that's too big. I'm sure I won't be a 4 forever -- middle age spread will eventually creep in -- but by then my size 6 and 8 clothing will be out of style. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    TOSS TOSS TOSS!!! Look forward...not back!! Just because you get older...doesn't mean you'll gain the weight back! I understand where you're coming from..(because I've been there)..but start fresh. You're a new you who deserves NEW you clothes!! Congrats on your weight loss...you're doing awesome!! : )
  • vichm
    vichm Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    GET RID GET RID GET RID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in a similar position lost nearly 40 lbs and gone down 2 dresss sizes- I did a swap with some clothes with someone and the rest as I outgrow I am selling on ebay. Its a great way to do it as generates more money to buy new/ nicer clothes. I love shopping for new work clothes and then going to the office and having a new wardrobe for a new look.

I think the temptation is there if you keep them, If you know you have to buy a bigger size you will work on the eating/ exercise and not let yourself go that far.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    keep the size 8's only because our body shapes change as we get older. I'm not the the same shape size 6 I was 10 years ago, so I wear an 8 for the cut. Keep the classic style things that never go out of style. After children, your hips widen and you may need room. There is no shame in packing away the 8's but go ahead and donate the 10s!!! Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Quick- get rid of them! :) Good incentive not to ever regain the weight/size!!
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I will get my favorites altered. I am never having another baby. There is no reason why my body SHOULD get big again. New body = new clothes!
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    keep the size 8's only because our body shapes change as we get older. I'm not the the same shape size 6 I was 10 years ago, so I wear an 8 for the cut. Keep the classic style things that never go out of style. After children, your hips widen and you may need room. There is no shame in packing away the 8's but go ahead and donate the 10s!!! Congratulations on all your hard work!

This is sort of what I was thinking. Our bodies do change. I have three kids and am not having any more, but still expect changes as I age. I like the modesty of the bigger clothes. I don't feel comfortable teachinng first graders in clothes that I feel are tight. Some smaller sizes are made to be snug and more revealing than bigger sizes.
  • StartingAtSixty
    StartingAtSixty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

I donate to Womens shelter.. The ladies there need good clothes to find jobs...:flowerforyou: