Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options

Replies

• BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would at least keep some of them. If for no other reason, you can pick them up sometime and remind yourself that you don't ever want to have to wear those clothes again!
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

Wish we had a clothes trade on MFP! I'm currently a 10, and have an entire spare bedroom full of 12 - 24 that are getting put up on ebay as quickly as possible. This time, I'm not keeping around anything I can't wear! It's too easy to backslide as it is, having clothes in that size makes it even easier.

What a great idea! An MFP Clothing Exchange. This is too good of an idea to shrug off. "Thread up" does it for children's clothes. Why not for MFP users? Hmmm...
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

Wish we had a clothes trade on MFP! I'm currently a 10, and have an entire spare bedroom full of 12 - 24 that are getting put up on ebay as quickly as possible. This time, I'm not keeping around anything I can't wear! It's too easy to backslide as it is, having clothes in that size makes it even easier.

What a great idea! An MFP Clothing Exchange. This is too good of an idea to shrug off. "Thread up" does it for children's clothes. Why not for MFP users? Hmmm...

This would be nice. Sometimes we move through sizes so quickly, and I hate to spend a lot of money on new stuff for a couple of months. I did get lucky and pick up 5 pairs of Vanity jeans on our local facebook yardsale site, and they served me well. Now they are getting too big, and I will likely donate them, as they were nice jeans but I didn't spend a fortune on them. I just need to buy some new ones first!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

Agreed, either tailor them or donate them. The psychological crutch of having bigger clothes will work against you.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Take them to a quality consignment store and use the credit to get smaller, cuter clothes!
  • dscardelli
    dscardelli Posts: 15
    Options
    A great way to toss them is to donate them to Dress For Success. It will keep you motivated to stay in the size you are and it will make you feel great that you gave to a good cause.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    23130367.jpg

made me smile :)
  • QueenyLanae
    QueenyLanae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

^^^ 100% Agree. Its what i plan to do as i lose weight... As someone else said you could sell them on ebay or a consignment shop.
  • QueenyLanae
    QueenyLanae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    23130367.jpg

^^^ i have to admit this idea may be kind of therapeutic
  • sweetebonyprincess
    sweetebonyprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this has been said as not read the whole post.... sell them on Ebay, Car boot sale, don't just bin them at least you will earn something from them and save the money to a new wardrobe as in years to come will you really want to wear then when fashion is always changing?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes the metabolism slows as we get older, this does not mean that we have to become overweight. Don't plan to get fat as you age. Give the clothes to charity or sell them.
  • kelseyka
    kelseyka Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    sell them!! make money :)
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm giving all mine away and getting rid of them. I don't want anything here to make me feel like it's okay to gain it back. No excuses, I only go down from here....not up.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ive been giving mine away, but realy thinking now as i have loads more to get rid of to sell on ebay.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Give them to charity, don't ever plan on using them again one day! x
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am taking the purge of old clothes in bite size pieces - I went from busting out of 14's to mostly size 8's. I am following the Niecy Nash "Clean House" rule of thumb - don't keep anything over one size up or one size down…except on the one size up it has to be something that at least hangs on me properly. I am also just downsizing my wardrobe with the "reverse hanger trick"…. every week I find something in my closet I determine I can live without. It goes in a pile for giveaway that week.

All the 14's and 12's are now gone (donations and gifts to friends) save three really nice blazers and two dresses I am having tailored in September. I have read several books and blogs on the "minimalist wardrobe" and I will be doing the challenge where I pick 33 pieces to wear for 3 months beginning September 1. Pretty hard in Texas with the wild weather swings from day to day, but I am going to give it a go.

The really big thing I learned with this weight loss --- I don't ever want to be outside of a 5 pound range up or down of my current weight … I just feel so much better and am back to enjoying doing what I do. And I want a wardrobe of a few really nice pieces rather than a bunch of no so nice. Don't get me wrong, I am a bargain hunter and never pay full retail for clothing - I shop the sales and wait for once a year sales on even bras…. but I really think maintaining my health will reduce the need for a huge quantity of garments
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    If no one has suggested it so far, I would recommend calling your local domestic violence agency and finding out if they can use some nice work clothes. If they have a shelter, they often have women who come in with nothing, and nice clothes to go to job interviews in are beyond the means of many. It would be a fantastic use for your old clothes. I'm of the opinion that if you keep those clothes around, the easier it will be to regain weight, since you have room to grow. If you don't have any fat clothes, it makes the financial penalty for weight gain much more significant, which can be an incentive to nip a five pound gain in the bud.
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Perhaps keep the size 8, but donate or sell the others !!! ( you could always have the few items that you kept tailored )

I've gone 1 size down, & donated them to our local thrift store .At first I was concerned that I may gain the weight back, however, decided it was best to think positive and make room for new ones as I continue to loose.

It's tough to find cute clothes in the larger sizes, you'll be helping someone else out!!! ( gave me a good feeling!! )
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Get them on ebay or Gumtree, put the money towards your new wardrobe!!!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would donate the 2 largest sizes or donate to a friend who is in them now. I started in a TIGHT 14 and now wear a tight 10. Old clothes going out to help with incentive lol