phentermine

Options

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The thing that irks me at this point is that OP is refusing to acknowledge other changes she could try suggested by well meaning users. Just because you asked specifically about phentermine doesn't mean you need to get defensive when people offer alternatives to taking a drug that clearly has a negative effect longterm.

Where did I say that I wasn't will to try other changes? Point it out.... people are getting upset because I asked a specific question and am expecting people with personal experience to answer it. If I wanted to opinion of everyone on MFP regarding phentermine I would have asked a different question.

When you refused my initial offer. Man I give up. Do whatever the hell you want. I hope you have success.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Your MD is also a registered dietitian?
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I took it through a weight loss dr and it did absolutely nothing for me. No side effects just absolutely nothing. That was a few years
    ago. Now I believe there are no short cuts but hard work is needed to make any kind of meaningful permanent changes. And that's
    the kind of changes I want. How about you? :wink:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I wish she would just go and start taking her magic pill already and stop arguing down reasonable, level headed people who can give relatively accurate anecdotal evidence, feedback, counterarguments and advice.

I mean that seems what she wants.

I'm going to be harsh and honest with you OP. You said you tried diet and exercise before and nothing works? Horsesh*t. Either you weren't counting calories, weren't being honest with yourself, were overestimating activity levels or doing something else that falls under categories "wrong" or "innacurate". You said it yourself you've been checked out and have no thyroid issues or any clear medical condition that would inhibit weight loss. Fantastic, and your doctor has advised you on how many calories you should be eating, which was no more than 1500 with exercise? Guess what. That's probably too low.

If you really wan't I can get my girlfriend to post on here and tell you exactly what I told you of her experiences with phentermine. It worked for it's purpose in the short term but was utterly unsustainable. It even got to the point she felt she could not lose weight without it, aka psychological dependency. You're already in step one of that. Your doctor is recommending a drug to you first? Is she a nutritionist? Is that her specific field? Because my physician is one of the top rated in Dallas (and this city has a high standard for medicine), has decades of experience in his field and didn't hesitate to recommend me some "metabolic booster" that was basically Vitamin D (good, but no weight loss), caffeine, and acai berry (magical snake oil properties). I said thanks buddy but come on I know you guys are just trying to make some money off a supplement on the side. He smiled and let it drop from there.

So tell you what. Read this: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Read all of it. Read the *kitten* out of it, and retain it, follow it, live it and start being focused, honest and determined with it. Instead of shilling folks here to tell you only what you want in the specific area of this subject matter called health and fitness...you should be taking advantage of the fact that there are a ton of people here who are smart, dedicated, driven and focused people who are doing and have done exactly what you want. You have a support group here most people would kill for if you want it.

You think you're a special snowflake? You think you are the first person asking about phentermine or any other magical drug? Get real for a second and spend 10 minutes browsing through these forums and look at a few days worth of posts with people asking the same questions as you and people nicer and more eloquent than I am taking time again and again to give honest advice and feedback.

If you want your pill, go for it. Nobody here can ultimately stop you.

Now if you want to use that same stubborn dedication for something productive and more beneficial to your life as a whole, let us know.

It always amazes me how people jump to these conclusions about perfect strangers. I asked for personal stories for a reason. If I wanted to take the pill I would be taking it. As I keep saying, I am considering it as an option and I wanted to hear from people who have taken it. I am educated, I can research the drug myself. This forum is part of that research. I have visited tons of sites about this drug and they all list the opinions of medical professionals and nutritionists and health nuts, but none of them really give a first hand account. That's why I posted this question. You can't fault me for asking a specific question and wanting specific people to answer it. What you can do is respect it... after all, it's not your decision, it's not your body... it's mine...and it's my business and right to ask whatever question I choose. I never asked anyone to be nice. There are many people who posted who said they had taken the drug and that I should just do it the old fashioned way. I appreciate them for sharing, and I am listening to what they say, but it's really hard to listen to someone give advice on something with which they have no experience. So as I told another poster.... please refrain from commenting if you have no experience with the medication. I would respect a similar request if you ever made one. Thanks.

How about please refrain from posting in the forums if you don't want everyone to give you a response.. smh

You could respond. It just has to be a response that she wants to hear. this is getting laughable at this point. I am here purely for entertainment purposes from here on out.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    [quote}
    You can't post on a PUBLIC forum and pick and choose who responds!!

You are right, but I would think that in a public forum full of adults people would have the decency to be respectful. If the questions doesn't pertain to you don't answer it... plain and simple.
    [/quote]

You would also think that an adult that asks a question would be prepared to receive different opinions without getting offended. The person that asked for your stats did so to try and help you find an option other than diet pills. Just because someone is a doctor does not mean they know what is best for weight loss. Just like you wanted people's opinions on the pills that have exerience with them it may be helpful to get weight loss advice from those who have gone through it. You really don't seem to want any answer to weight loss other than the pills.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the posts above me, so hopefully I'm not repeating too much. After reading the first few I wasn't going to torture myself :P

I took phentermine for 3 months a couple years ago. It worked for me, with no negative side effects, BUT as soon as I stopped taking it (you aren't supposed to take it for more than a few months at a time because your body gets used to it and because of the potential side effects) the weight came back on steadily, despite the fact that I was eating healthier and exercising more than ever.

While I was on it, at least for the first month, I had to set an alarm to make sure I ate! I also carried around a bottle of water because I was crazy thirsty for a long time. I had no bad side effects.

I'm not sure how much weight you have to lose. This might be effective long term if you only have to lose, say under 50, to be at your ideal weight. I had/have almost 130 lbs to lose to be considered "healthy". I had weight loss surgery last year and I couldn't be happier. I wish in a lot of ways that the phentermine would have worked for me, so that I wouldn't have had to get so drastic. But on the other hand... I now have a life-long tool that will help me keep my weight under control. I need that.

And, obviously, counting calories/exercise/weight watchers/jenny/faddiets/etc didn't work for me!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    this is probably not the right website to post about diet pills. people here COUNT CALORIES and EXERCISE! simple formula!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Love that statement no easy fixes here.
  • tgbyfield
    tgbyfield Posts: 62
    Options
    This is getting out of hand... I am going to say this once and for all.... I am asking for anyone who is willing to share your personal experience with phentermine. I am exploring it as an option to aid in my weight loss. If you don't have PERSONAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the drug please respect my request. In no way is this forum going to be the only resource I use in deciding whether to take the drug, so for all those out who say I should do my research, don't worry I am. I am in no way looking for people to tell me to take the drug as some people have accused. I just want to hear some first hand knowledge and I am not understanding why it is such a big deal for some people to be okay with that.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    This is getting out of hand... I am going to say this once and for all.... I am asking for anyone who is willing to share your personal experience with phentermine. I am exploring it as an option to aid in my weight loss. If you don't have PERSONAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the drug please respect my request. In no way is this forum going to be the only resource I use in deciding whether to take the drug, so for all those out who say I should do my research, don't worry I am. I am in no way looking for people to tell me to take the drug as some people have accused. I just want to hear some first hand knowledge and I am not understanding why it is such a big deal for some people to be okay with that.
    How about respecting my request then I will respect yours. :bigsmile: LOL
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thread starter is CLAIMING logging calories and exercise is not working.

And she won't allow me to offer my input as to how she could modify her routine to see results .

Because you may offer some sound advice.

She is just waiting for enough people to say: Take the easy way out and stuff your face with pills and burgers.

Thank you much, but I to be successful with phentermine, you still CANNOT have fries and burgers! The medicine helps, but you still have to be meticulous with what you eat and you still have to exercise. I weigh and measure every morsel and I check my calorie burn often to make sure I will get enough exercise in. Please don't assume that simply because we are under doctor's care that we are not working! I lift, I TurboFire, I C25K, etc. At least an hour a day...almost every day.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    [quote}

You are right, but I would think that in a public forum full of adults people would have the decency to be respectful. If the questions doesn't pertain to you don't answer it... plain and simple.

You would also think that an adult that asks a question would be prepared to receive different opinions without getting offended. The person that asked for your stats did so to try and help you find an option other than diet pills. Just because someone is a doctor does not mean they know what is best for weight loss. Just like you wanted people's opinions on the pills that have exerience with them it may be helpful to get weight loss advice from those who have gone through it. You really don't seem to want any answer to weight loss other than the pills.
    [/quote]

On this particular question... I was never seeking an answer to weight loss I was seeking information about phentermine from people who have taken. I am not sure how that turned into people trying to offer me answers to weight loss.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    The way this thread is going in circles is hurting my head.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    [quote}

[qoute]On this particular question... I was never seeking an answer to weight loss I was seeking information about phentermine from people who have taken. I am not sure how that turned into people trying to offer me answers to weight loss.
    [/quote]

@CKING weight loss website. Why else would you be asking?
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    The way this thread is going in circles is hurting my head.

Take some PHENTERMIE or what ever it is called.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Your MD is also a registered dietitian?

That's the scary part of her MD actually recommending phentermine.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I took it a while back. Although I didn't experience any horrible side effects that I couldn't handle, once I got off I gained all the weight back and then some. I lost 40 pounds and gained back about 60. That's when I discovered MFP and started losing weight on my own and the "natural" way. You may want to check and be sure that you are eating enough calories, lean protein, good fats, etc. Also, I'm not sure how much fruits and vegis you're eating but your nutrition is key. Another thing that works for me is eating clean all the time, drink plenty of water, and stop eating carbs after lunch time. I sure hope this helps and I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.

Thanks for sharing. I am hearing alot of people saying they lost weight and gained it right back. That is making me worry that it won't be worth taking it. I know I won't have a problem with the lifestyle change that others have suggested because I already eat healthy and exercise, although I never considered not eating carbs after lunch time. My diet is mostly fruits and vegetables, I don't eat fried foods or take out EVER! I wonder if all the people who gained the weight back hadn't made the lifestyle change or if the weight loss is only sustainable if you keep taking the drug.

Something to think about...

For me, it didn't seem to matter because once I started eating closer to my suggested daily caloric intake, I gained the weight back like crazy. I ate fruits and veggies and ate extremely well for weeks, and it just didn't matter. My body held on to everything for dear life because it had been deprived while I was on the medication. Even if there was a drug that could guarantee weight loss that was sustainable after coming off of it, if it had the side effects Phentermine does, I would run, FAST, in the other direction. I felt like I was going f*cking crazy with the jitters and heart palpitations. I know a small group of other people that have taken it and some didn't have it quite as bad but, for me, it's just not worth it. Exercise and watching what I eat are giving me the healthy, NATURAL weight loss that I never got with the pill. I feel stronger and more beautiful than ever.

Also, as someone who has been there, know that there is always something else you can do. Besides your doc, have you consulted a nutritionist or a personal trainer? Like I said, meeting my personal trainer/nutritionist was my 'eureka!' moment :)

I truly hope that you find success in whatever you choose to do. Just make sure that you get the facts and stay safe.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have never taken phentermine, but I have PRESCRIBED it, and therefore I think I am qualified to respond. (I do not prescribe it anymore. I haven't taken it myself because I don't want to).

I have seen patients and coworkers take this and act completely crazy. It messes with your moods. You get shaky, jittery, and your heart races.

However, more importantly: Phentermine "works" by suppressing your appetite so you eat less and giving you energy so you exercise more. If you are already restricting calories and exercising, then what exactly do you think phentermine will do for you?

ETA: Only one person of many, many people has actually kept the weight off after taking phentermine. Now I prescripe MFP.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    I am seriously dumbfounded by some of the people who have posted and gotten upset because I asked for people with personal experience to post on my question. The assumptions that people make about me wanting to take a magic pill and not do any hard work are simply wrong. The assumption that I only want to hear from people who tell me to take the pill is wrong. If I wanted that I would have taken the pill when my doctor told me to and not even posted. I am looking for personal stories not an argument. If you can't give that then you will be ignored.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I am seriously dumbfounded by some of the people who have posted and gotten upset because I asked for people with personal experience to post on my question. The assumptions that people make about me wanting to take a magic pill and not do any hard work are simply wrong. The assumption that I only want to hear from people who tell me to take the pill is wrong. If I wanted that I would have taken the pill when my doctor told me to and not even posted. I am looking for personal stories not an argument. If you can't give that then you will be ignored.

And here I thought I was the only one that was dumbfounded.
This discussion has been closed.