I am eating ALL my exercise calories, 7/7/12

Options

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump- i loved your post. so honest and thoughtful. i wish you luck on your jouney and i look forward to following you and your progress.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    definitely love this thread.

I tried to eat at maintenance. I tried eating at a deficit. Then I tried eating 1200 -1350 calories and I am not losing weight. BUT I am lifting weights and getting stronger. I just wish those muscles would show up REAL FAST. LOL Anyway, I am eating around 1600 calories. According to my body media fit, I am burning around 2000 calories on average a day.
  • susanfisher
    susanfisher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would love to follow your post and see how you do.. I am pretty new on mfp and I have read different things about eating back exercise calories.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I believe calories are like vacation days that if you don't use, you lose them, and I've never "given one back" yet! They are mine, I've earned them, I deserve them, and I'm having them! I lost 14 lbs (all I wanted to) and have maintained so far. Eat those suckers! :D
  • run344
    run344 Posts: 28
    Options
    I believe calories are like vacation days that if you don't use, you lose them, and I've never "given one back" yet! They are mine, I've earned them, I deserve them, and I'm having them! I lost 14 lbs (all I wanted to) and have maintained so far. Eat those suckers! :D

YES! Eat and enjoy every meal and snack. You can still lose weight by living this way. Hey, you only live once, I'm going to eat every dang calorie I possibly can. No one wants to end up on their deathbed knowing they had a lot of calories left over ;)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If I were to rely on the number of calories MFP told me I was burning, I'd be gaining weight right now... If I were eating those calories back.

My body has gotten too efficient in consuming and burning calories. In 1hr, I only burn 275calories in my bootcamp class and 230calories during the INSANITY DVDs. Actually, the INSANITY DVDs are too easy ever since I have been taking bootcamp classes (6 months now). So to burn more calories, I bike to bootcamp class, jog up the mountain for 30mins and then attend the class. My fellow bootcamp trainees have nicknamed me "the machine".

At the beginning, I was burning 500 calories/hr @ bootcamp. Now it is only half that. So monitor your calories burned with a HRM.

You don't want to accidentally start over eating.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can understand that:) It might work for you, we all have to try what we think is best for our own bods, glad you are here on mfp! denise:drinker: :drinker:

I want to lose an additional 20 lbs. so I am not eating back all of my excersize calories. I figure it will just take me longer to lose if I do. Once I get to where I want to be then I will.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    And you look terrific Run!! Thanks for sharing with us all since that is way encouraging to know of your success and you ate'em ALL!!:laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

YES! Eat and enjoy every meal and snack. You can still lose weight by living this way. Hey, you only live once, I'm going to eat every dang calorie I possibly can. No one wants to end up on their deathbed knowing they had a lot of calories left over ;)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    If everyone could afford a heart rate monitor I would recommend one but I know some can't. Mfp's calculations are close enough to my own though so maybe that's just an average they calculate. Truth is, who can be sure no matter what gadget we use. I think if we are in a "range" we are fine. Our bodies don't know anything about numbers. But, the real proof is how we feel and look. As I mentioned in my first post I was beat down and knew something wasn't right. Since I started eating the recommended calories, I feel a lot better. The experiment is really just beginning though;) Long way to go!

denise
    :drinker: :drinker:

PS congrats on all your weight-loss, forgot to mention that, duh:wink::flowerforyou:
    If I were to rely on the number of calories MFP told me I was burning, I'd be gaining weight right now... If I were eating those calories back.

My body has gotten too efficient in consuming and burning calories. In 1hr, I only burn 275calories in my bootcamp class and 230calories during the INSANITY DVDs. Actually, the INSANITY DVDs are too easy ever since I have been taking bootcamp classes (6 months now). So to burn more calories, I bike to bootcamp class, jog up the mountain for 30mins and then attend the class. My fellow bootcamp trainees have nicknamed me "the machine".

At the beginning, I was burning 500 calories/hr @ bootcamp. Now it is only half that. So monitor your calories burned with a HRM.

• lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tagged. I'm interested to see how this all turns out for you, NWCountry. I've started eating more of my exercise cals back mainly because I felt like my body need more fuel.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I listen to what my body is saying too. if Im fatigued I will take a moment to reflect on my diary and excersice and mostly through prayer decide more times than not that I actually need to add calories. Good luck in your journey =)

In God's Love
    M
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If I could "Like" this post, I would. You are an inspiration! Thank you.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating them;) Anyone can see my diary for food and exercise. My bottom line, what I should not eat below is 1200. So if I burn 400 exercising, I am eating all those calories back. That is how my MFP calculations came out so I am using those for now.

One thing that is rolling around in my head is that when I eat good foods to rebuild/repair my muscles I am making my body a more effective fat-burning machine. So it isn't the same as just eating a bunch of calories(or worse, empty calories) when I am sitting on my bum doing nothing. That's when calories don't get used effectively.

I would be curious also your results. I still lost without eating all the cals back. but some times I would think of food and get into the cookies. I eat some back currently but I have bumped up amount I eat lately. I was eating about 1200 most days, then net of 1000 or so. Now I have bumped up the exercise and I am at 1400-1500 cals with a net of 1000 to 1200. I actually am too full to eat any more (But I try not to eat processed foods much which would increase the cal but the sugar, fat (greasy items), and salt would make me feel worse). I am planning to try this for a while and see how goes. With my height of 5'2" and that I don't have to much farther to go (about 15 lbs) I can't go too much higher of 1200...That tends to maintain me and anything over 1500...well I gain :P MFP calcs me too high...between 1500-1600. So I custom mine. I chose 1200 as 1 should not go below and 2 other websites have me close to 1200.

May I ask what is your cal intake and net goals are? I see some people have intake of 1700+ and are losing... but that would depend on where they are at in journey and amount of exercise too.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oops my reply got into the quote box. Sorry.
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    I really struggle with the idea of eating back my exercise calories. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you!
  • JoniRiaya
    JoniRiaya Posts: 79
    Options
    bumping to follow :) Love your post!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    This is a great post, I have fought and fought people who say that I won't get results if I eat back my exercise calories. I started off giving myself few calories to eat and I had slow results that just came back. I started eating the suggested calories as well as exercising. I have lost inches on all my measurements and even more inches in my waist. I am very happy!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I wanted to reply regarding Kim's post below since I couldn't quit thinking about it. I never mention in my original post that I use a Heart rate monitor. I do NOT know the actual difference in calories mfp shows and my hrm. I do know that eating the exercise calories that mfp calculates for us when we enter say, 30 minutes of walking at 3.0 miles per hour, works just fine for many women I have seen on here since 2006 or 7, whenever I originally joined. But everyone has to figure out those numbers as close to what each of us is burning. Like I will calculate my miles by using mapquest(I walk outdoors)and then I enter in the minutes to find the miles per hour. Here's where I found a calc: http://www.csgnetwork.com/directmph.html

I just wanted to be honest in bringing this up and if you can afford a heart monitor, it may give you different numbers but I don't think it is always true like with Kim, that those numbers are so different they would mess us up. MFP is a good place and I do trust them:) That is my opinion.

Hugs all and have a great day in the journey!! Denise:drinker: :drinker:

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    I'm over by 464 calories. I went "over" a week ago on the 4th and it ended up the week for me losing 2 lbs(well i can't remember what day I weighed)but it was after the 4th:) I'm not saying it's good to go over but I didn't stay under my 1200 so we'll see what happens. I didn't plan this or do it on purpose. I just want to stay honest here so we can tell, at least with my body, if this is going to work out and get me to my goals;)

Denise :drinker: :drinker:
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Tagging to follow.

You are so brave! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: