I am eating ALL my exercise calories, 7/7/12

Options

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I am going to make a confession.

I switched from MFP's deficit method to using my TDEE. For me it was a mental thing more than anything else. I found that when I had the choice to eat all my exercise calories, the vain side of me would refuse to do so....so I would "shave" a few calories here and there (oh, it's ok if I'm 85 calories short of my net calories). The problem was that over time, that became a large deficit and my body would basically halt. Also, I resented eating so little - even when eating "most" of my exercise calories. I'd lose weight, feel like crap, be angry about it and finally go back to my old ways.

I also chose not to log my activities like I should have since I had my account set up for the sedentary lifestyle. For example, small walks across campus up several flights of stairs (when I would have taken the elevator). After awhile, a set of 50 stairs twice a day becomes a calorie deficit - but I sure didn't log it.

I've been doing this for years. Lying to myself and everyone else. I always end up right back to same place I was before.

Using my TDEE is easier for me because I don't have to worry about exercise calories. I have a set number of calories every single day (and I can get into a "rhythm") and know that I have to work out to get my deficit.

I think you eating your exercise calories back will give you positive results. Just make sure that you are honest with yourself. I didn't even realize that I was doing that.....until I switched and started really looking at the whole picture.

I wish you well and hope that it works for you. I am interested too because I believe in eating your exercise calories. That's what I'm doing with my TDEE...just looking at it at a different angle and finding ways to be more honest with myself. I think eating back your exercise calories works and it makes me sad to see people eating 900 NET calories a day - and even more sad when I see people cheering them on and telling them how great they did that day.

Good luck :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to it too, LOL!! I do hope it turns out well;)
    I really struggle with the idea of eating back my exercise calories. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I've seen enough women succeed by eating their calories I guess I am pretty confident. If I hadn't seen anyone else make it though, I doubt I'd be brave at all, LOL!!

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Tagging to follow.

You are so brave! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I have read some on the Total Daily Energy Expenditure(for people that don't know that term)and I may get with that eventually. For now, since I want to keep it simple for those that want to use MFP calcs.(which I believe work just fine)I will stick with them as well. I am interested in further study and maybe getting into it a little deeper, maybe easier for logging etc.

On cheering people on, I've stopped looking at their diaries because I do believe some are eating too little. I still cheer people on though when I can because I am thankful for those that cheered me on because it kept me here long enough to find some things I felt I was doing wrong. Just one of them was eating too little for that amount of exercise;)

I think your post is excellent and will go far to help others that want to research exactly what their own bodies do when it comes to exercise, foods etc;)

Ty much and glad you are doing so well;) ty especially for being honest, this helps others more than anything I think;) Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I am going to make a confession.

I switched from MFP's deficit method to using my TDEE. For me it was a mental thing more than anything else. I found that when I had the choice to eat all my exercise calories, the vain side of me would refuse to do so....so I would "shave" a few calories here and there (oh, it's ok if I'm 85 calories short of my net calories). The problem was that over time, that became a large deficit and my body would basically halt. Also, I resented eating so little - even when eating "most" of my exercise calories. I'd lose weight, feel like crap, be angry about it and finally go back to my old ways.

I also chose not to log my activities like I should have since I had my account set up for the sedentary lifestyle. For example, small walks across campus up several flights of stairs (when I would have taken the elevator). After awhile, a set of 50 stairs twice a day becomes a calorie deficit - but I sure didn't log it.

I've been doing this for years. Lying to myself and everyone else. I always end up right back to same place I was before.

Using my TDEE is easier for me because I don't have to worry about exercise calories. I have a set number of calories every single day (and I can get into a "rhythm") and know that I have to work out to get my deficit.

I think you eating your exercise calories back will give you positive results. Just make sure that you are honest with yourself. I didn't even realize that I was doing that.....until I switched and started really looking at the whole picture.

I wish you well and hope that it works for you. I am interested too because I believe in eating your exercise calories. That's what I'm doing with my TDEE...just looking at it at a different angle and finding ways to be more honest with myself. I think eating back your exercise calories works and it makes me sad to see people eating 900 NET calories a day - and even more sad when I see people cheering them on and telling them how great they did that day.

Good luck :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh wonderful, thank you for sharing this:) So many are coming along that do eat their exercise calories, living proof will help others not to be afraid, thank you again!!

Denise:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    This is a great post, I have fought and fought people who say that I won't get results if I eat back my exercise calories. I started off giving myself few calories to eat and I had slow results that just came back. I started eating the suggested calories as well as exercising. I have lost inches on all my measurements and even more inches in my waist. I am very happy!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks Joni, I sure hope it all goes well:) Long road ahead but one day at a time:) Really enjoying all the people I am meeting here, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    bumping to follow :) Love your post!
  • Sapphiredroplet
    Sapphiredroplet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful input in this amazing thread! I am just starting out again like many who have dieted and gained it back. I feel like it is true if you write down your calorie intake truthfully you are more apt to want to exercise to eat more, but don't eat empty calories take advantage of those extra calories and fit more protein in with them. I am eating calories back after I exercise not all of them but enough. I am single and on the go and those are excuses but I eat prepackaged items which drives my sodium up which in turn makes me retain water so I am trying to fix this with some good low sodium dishes I can make a large qty. and freeze to have at work if anyone knows of a website that has quick and easy free recipes . I feel like I am doing ok so far Its only been a week since I started dieting this time and until I hit a plateau I will continue the path I'm on.

Abbie
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Hi Abbie,

you sound great and doing well:) I like the crockpot. As far as recipes there's nothing you can't google but maybe some ladies have fave sites they can share with you. I am in great NEED of some new recipes myself so if I find something good I'll send it to you, the link:) So nice to meet you, denise:) :drinker: :drinker:
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful input in this amazing thread! I am just starting out again like many who have dieted and gained it back. I feel like it is true if you write down your calorie intake truthfully you are more apt to want to exercise to eat more, but don't eat empty calories take advantage of those extra calories and fit more protein in with them. I am eating calories back after I exercise not all of them but enough. I am single and on the go and those are excuses but I eat prepackaged items which drives my sodium up which in turn makes me retain water so I am trying to fix this with some good low sodium dishes I can make a large qty. and freeze to have at work if anyone knows of a website that has quick and easy free recipes . I feel like I am doing ok so far Its only been a week since I started dieting this time and until I hit a plateau I will continue the path I'm on.

Abbie
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've seen enough women succeed by eating their calories I guess I am pretty confident. If I hadn't seen anyone else make it though, I doubt I'd be brave at all, LOL!!

Tagging to follow.

I wouldn't say you're brave, I'd say you're smart!!

But then, I've been a fan of "eating exercise cals" from day one on MFP (540 days ago!) and it's worked wonderfully well for me.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Awesome job!! Look at those Runs, Wtg and so many congrats! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Tagging to follow.

But then, I've been a fan of "eating exercise cals" from day one on MFP (540 days ago!) and it's worked wonderfully well for me.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Awesome job!! Look at those Runs, Wtg and so many congrats! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Tagging to follow.

bumpity bump...I don't want to miss out on this tagging. LOVE IT!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Wow Nanna!! I didn't realize how close you are to your goal, WONDERFUL and congratulations, please don't leave us after to reach it:( :sad:

Tagging to follow.

bumpity bump...I don't want to miss out on this tagging. LOVE IT!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I had a total of 1600 calories to eat today and I will finish up fine tonight. I didn't work out at all yesterday and today I waited a bit long to get out there and it was HOT! Anyway, I started out the morning at around 6 a.m. and I was feeling hungry after a half cup of coffee and a bottle of water(16 oz). I went in a grabbed an avocado, don't know it just sounded good. High in calories but delicious change to start the day. I then got hungry again after I watered the small lawns around my landlords house just with the hose. Great morning playing with the water, LOL:) Takes so little to amuse me;) Anyway, came back in and at an oatmeal breakfast and then eventually got out the door for my workout.

I guess what I didn't like about today was eating so many calories early on. I like having more calories to play with in the afternoon and evening. I think I can still have a well-rounded dinner and save room for a snack;) I'm gonna go see what I can come up with now;)

Hope everyone is doing well and that if you are interested you are watching my food intake and exercise cals.

Hugs all, denise:drinker: :drinker: PS I do STILL need to try more water. I'm drinking only half the recommended amount usually;)
    I'll at least measure on Sunday. I may weigh on the scale but haven't decided;)
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I want to follow this thread - bump.

Thanks for doing it. It will give us a lot of insight. :wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    yes, either way it goes for me it hopefully will help others. I never have been consistent until now, about logging and eating all that is suggested so it's new but so far so good.:drinker: :drinker:
    I want to follow this thread - bump.

Thanks for doing it. It will give us a lot of insight. :wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I've been meaning to do this but it's so hard, post my before photos:( They are so gross. But, if it helps anyone else to see either the pros or the cons to eating all your exercise calories in nutritious foods then it will be worth it to them as well as me:)

Denise
    PS Here goes! I just hope they don't offend anybody, LOL! Sorry, have to laugh or I'll cry:sad: Hey, see how I was smiling in the first one? Well, when I went back to the camera and saw the first pic I stopped smiling:laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

befores7_7_2012.jpg
  • Laramae09
    Laramae09 Posts: 47
    Options
    I want to follow you too! I had to switch to the TDEE method because I would not eat my exercise calories and got stuck. I've been doing this for 1 week and lost 2 pounds....yay!!! Good luck to you!! :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh fabulous, 2 lbs! This is so encouraging!! I thought about the TDEE method but I don't want to mess up on my food intake so for me it's better to see exactly how many calories I burn each day. That is the way I see it anyway. If you have any input I am always open to learn plus, I have a huge interest in the tdee method;)

I want to follow you too! I had to switch to the TDEE method because I would not eat my exercise calories and got stuck. I've been doing this for 1 week and lost 2 pounds....yay!!! Good luck to you!! :drinker:
  • deb1962
    deb1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great post.. Definitely be following..Good luck