I am eating ALL my exercise calories, 7/7/12

Options

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Well no one is perfect, least of all me, but, I am trying to stay as close as possible through this "experiment" so people can see what the results are. When I am finished with the experiment I know there will be over days and under days:) I would like to hear more about eating all of them requiring some care. I want to learn all I can from every one:) denise:)
    Eat your exercise calories ..... YES
    Eat all of them ....................... Maybe

Definitely eat exercise calories. If you dont you will struggle to have the energy to exercise. Especially if you are on a low calorie diet and exercising lots. However ..... eating all of them requires some care.

You need to ensure that you are able to ACCURATELY record all calories eaten AND all calories burned.
    Most people tend to underestimate the calories they are putting in their mouths and overestimate the calories burned (even the MFP values are usually on the high side).

If you eat all your exercise calories based on false information you could find that you are actually eating too much. There are two ways to avoid this problem:
    1) Dont eat all the exercise calories (personally I usually leave a 200-300 buffer)
    or 2) Set your weekly weight loss goal a little higher creating an extra buffer - if you set to lose 2lbs a week you have a 3500 per week calorie buffer to still lose 1lb a week.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh ditto!! And you look wonderful!! More, living proof!
    Good for you, it certainly worked for me.
    I just don't see the point in deprivation, that's never going to be sustainable long term!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you Ems, send me a friend request and you can see all my foods/calories and exercise;) denise:):drinker: :drinker:
    I'm looking forward to following your progress
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Here is a group I joined this a.m. "Eat More to Lose Weight" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

There are tons of peeps on here that are succeeding and eating their exercise calories!! Lots of before and afters too!

denise
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Going to watch and see how this goes for you! I tend to eat most of my calories back. I cannot tell you how this is working as I decided to start trying recently and gave up the one thing I am addicted to at the same time.....the scale. My friend won't give it back until the end of the month so we will see! Good luck!
  • jcs0530
    jcs0530 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I will be watching closly as I too are experiencing the same results. I always wondered which is better. To eat your excersise calories or not. Maybe its a happy medium.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    * I did not join the Eat More to Lose Weight group afterall. It was a bit complicated for me right now, maybe later I will decide to join.

UPDATE:

I couldn't stay away from the scale as I was getting way nervous about all the food I'm eating but I've made my goal 3 days in a row now I think it's been. That is to eat all my exercise calories. I also lost 2 inches in my hips and I took a precise measurement like I did the first time when I took those before photos. I couldn't find how to remove my ticker so it's still here for people to see. I think that may be good afterall since I may still lose weight even though I am building muscle. I don't know. It get complicated in my mind and I want to dig deeper into burning healthier, eating healthier on and on but keeping it as simple as I can suits me best.

Please do not hesitate to look at the foods I eat. I rarely use anything light or fat free. I always use Olive oil where there is fish involved as well as a tsp of it on my vegies I use in omelettes.

Oh, most important, I am sleeping wonderfully, feel lots of energy and want to get outa bed in the a.m. wayyyyy less depression or feeling down.

Also I am doing upper-body on the opposite day I do my walks or bike-rides. My legs are really shaping up but definitely need work on upper body. I am doing all stuff I can do at home as I can't join a gym now or afford weights etc. I did get a Polar Ft4 heart monitor because I think it is most important for me to know what my total daily calories burned are(as close as I can get anyway. Can't stand to wear it all the time, LOL! Maybe for the fun of it I should try that though;)

Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    PS Buy the way, I am still lacking in my water according to the recommended but I get at least 2 bottles = 32 oz. a day
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I hear you on the scale thing:) I did lose 1 oz away from 2 lbs since I started this. Very quick loss but I feel great physically as well as mentally. I have stuck to literally, within 2 or 3 calories of my goal each day. I am such a stickler for detail, LOL!

Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Going to watch and see how this goes for you! I tend to eat most of my calories back. I cannot tell you how this is working as I decided to start trying recently and gave up the one thing I am addicted to at the same time.....the scale. My friend won't give it back until the end of the month so we will see! Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I don't know for sure, anything, but I did lose 2 lbs(1 oz away but we don't show ounces on our check in). I feel stronger already and am ready for my regular 2 mile walk today. It's funny but I have had to squeeze in some nuts or other protein(my preference)for extra snacks to make my goals. Have never been hungry even once. It's just as if I see the "gauge" on my gas-tank and know it's time to fill it up again but not because I am starving, LOL! Nice change;)
    Thank you for this post. I will be watching closly as I too are experiencing the same results. I always wondered which is better. To eat your excersise calories or not. Maybe its a happy medium.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I will definitely follow this discussion as I am always so scared to eat back all my exercise calories. It is mostly because right now I am on a plateau and cannot seem to break it. I tried decreasing my caloric intake, and am back at more intense workouts and eating just 1200 calories. I have conceded that it is probably a need to eat more, but haven't taken the plunge. Different strokes for different folks, but I would like to see your results just the same. Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Glad we hooked up and yes, view my diary any time;) I have heard a lot about "tricking" your metabolism when we hit a plateau(which I am bound to do at some point;) So it will be interesting to try some things. I think one thing I might try is eating over my cals one day and the next under. Not sure where I heard that one but it sounds good, LOL!! Also different types of exercise, I heard a gal say she really changes her workouts around, Marnie, it was Marnie that said that:) Could be a great thing to try. I get kind of in a "same ole" rut with my walking as well as foods;)

your new buddy, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I will definitely follow this discussion as I am always so scared to eat back all my exercise calories. It is mostly because right now I am on a plateau and cannot seem to break it. I tried decreasing my caloric intake, and am back at more intense workouts and eating just 1200 calories. I have conceded that it is probably a need to eat more, but haven't taken the plunge. Different strokes for different folks, but I would like to see your results just the same. Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Hey ladies! I made that steep grade I do, walking the pup I'm sitting for, and did not have to stop for the first time since I started walking it! I really have more energy today! I have been allowing my muscles to rest too since they were so fatigued

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    New information I found through people here on MFP that I think is worth a look. I have read it twice and now going on my 3rd time to make sure I am understanding it. Also the extra links helloitsdan has added for anyone wanting to study/research further. I admit at first it seemed overwhelming and I had the attitude "I just want to get in shape" or "I just want to drive the car I don't want to know how or why it works". I want to share this link though because some of you might want to dig a little deeper. I think I am just on the curious side and in a learning mode. I just like soaking up info. Some days I don't though so I understand if this is confusing or you don't want to mess with it. MFP does have 2 modes of setting up your caloric needs. The first is MFP will put them in for you after you enter your weight and weight goals etc. The Second is custom where you can put in your own numbers. This confused me at first but it's simply doing what MFP does but more in depth for your personal, "customized" wants/needs and more specific on your "own" TDAA(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and BMR or RMR(Basal Metabolic Rate or Resting Metabolic Rate.)

It is easier for me to go with MFP but I am curious enough to want to check it out which I am doing now. I guess one way of explaining it is buy the car as is or order different options/add options etc. Anyway, sorry if this is more info than any of you want to read but I wanted to put it here for those that want to look into it further. This is still, definitely, with the whole plan of eating all my calories and still losing fat and building muscle:

Here is the link and have a great day!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Bree1294
    Bree1294 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, i will keep up with it.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I'm still eating them;) Anyone can see my diary for food and exercise. My bottom line, what I should not eat below is 1200. So if I burn 400 exercising, I am eating all those calories back. That is how my MFP calculations came out so I am using those for now.

One thing that is rolling around in my head is that when I eat good foods to rebuild/repair my muscles I am making my body a more effective fat-burning machine. So it isn't the same as just eating a bunch of calories(or worse, empty calories) when I am sitting on my bum doing nothing. That's when calories don't get used effectively.

I think the hardest part for me and maybe others is that just losing weight isn't going to make us healthy. I understand why people think of this happening because it is what I used to think, exactly. If I only lose 40 lbs I will look great and be happy. Maybe for some that is enough and if so that is ok with me, none of my business. But I want to look like Rachel McClish, LOL!! Ok, so I want to look as much like her as I can:) She is like the prettiest woman, body-builder I think I have ever seen. She sure never ended up looking like anything but a woman and I bet many of the guys here would agree;)
    rachel005.jpg
    This is a great thread, i will keep up with it.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Great post! Sounds like your minset is in the right place :)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I hope so Crystal:) I figure with all the winners around mfp I can't go wrong if I just pay attention and follow in their footsteps:)

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Great post! Sounds like your minset is in the right place :)
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I want to lose an additional 20 lbs. so I am not eating back all of my excersize calories. I figure it will just take me longer to lose if I do. Once I get to where I want to be then I will.