Favorite things to do with an Avocado

Options

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I like it mashed on toast with scrambled eggs on top! OMG! Great breakfast.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    On average I eat 1/4 of an avocado a day... some days it's more.

My favorite ways are as follows:

-Mixed in fat free cottage cheese with tomatoes, onions, and pepper.
    -Sliced and put on Everything Bagel thins, topped with a fried egg (or egg whites), tomato slices and sauteed spinach
    -Taco dip (ground beef, taco seasoning, plain fat free Greek yogurt, diced tomato, lime juice and reduced fat Mexican cheese blend) with homemade tortilla chips (made with flatout wraps)
    -Tossed in a salad with boiled eggs, shrimp and crab meat
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    I like to have just slices of avocadoes but I don't usually want to eat the whole avocado at once....my problem is keeping it to stay fresh...it turns brown really quickly for me. I've tried to leave the pit in the other half...I heard that helps it. Anyone like to share their suggestions??

Sprinkle the part you are not using with lime juice and wrap tightly. Turns a little brown but not nearly as bad if I don't use the lime juice.

Save the other half of peel and put it back on before you wrap it in plastic.
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Love it sliced over my spanish rice and black beans
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My 5 month old baby likes homemade Avocado baby food (I just pureed it with water in the food processor).
  • bsudano
    bsudano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite excerpt from John Thorne's book Outlaw Cook:

"How to Eat an Avocado (you think you know how, but you don't).
    First of all, it must be a perfectly ripe Hass avocado (small, dark green, and with an alligator's crumply skin). Cut it in half and gently pop out the seed. Set each half, cut side up, in a shallow bowl. Now, in a separate dish, mix together (for every two halves) about a spoonful of olive oil, a good squeeze of fresh lime, a few drops of Tabasco, and a pinch of coarse salt. Mix this well and dribble a fair share into each avocado half. Now fall to, eating the avocado out of its skin with a teaspoon, catching a bit of the dressing with each bite. A little buttered bread is good with this; the oil and lime juice can be further enhanced, if you like, with a morsel of crushed garlic and, instead of the Tabasco, a sprinkle of powdered cayenne. God didn't make the avocado just for guacamole."

I also like to add a little cumin, chili powder, black pepper or cilantro sometimes :smile:
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM IN CHICKEN ENTOMATADAS....WRAP UP TORTILLAS WITH CHICKEN...

USING BLENDER
    ADD GREEN TOMATILLO
    --AVOCADO
    **GARLIC
    --CILANTRO
    **SOUR CREAM
    **GREEN CHILE OPTINAL
    ....WARM ON STOVE OPTINAL
    BLEND ALL TOGETHER AND POUR OVER (ENCHILADAS/EMTOMATADAS)
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN CUT THE AVOCADO IN HALF AND PELL, INSERT SOME TUNA SALAD!
  • southernGeorgiagirl
    Options
    I use it on sandwiches instead of mayo or I cut it up in a salad
  • apehl
    apehl Posts: 13
    Options
    I LOVE avocado's.

My fav way is just 1/2 avocado on toast with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Or, 1 can of tuna with 1/2 avocado and squeeze of lemon juice.

I've also tried avocado ice cream - I don't know what was in it, but somehow it was delicious!

I could live off of avocado's..
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I usually just put one in my pocket and bring it to the bar with me. Chicks dig dudes that rock avocados during last call.

I'll cook chorizo and potatoes, make divets in the potatoes with a spoon so I can crack an egg into it and layer it with avocado.

Hate them in sandwiches

Love them with eggs

Maybe try this some time:

Two pieces of bread, one with almond butter
    Sauteed Kale or spinach in coconut oil
    Put the sauteed spinach/Kale on the bread and use half an avocado to layer it
    Make sandwich

Also known as, The Renergy Sandwich v1 (feel free to google it)
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great thanks...I will try that.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i saw a recipe and made an avocado pasta salad, it's really yummy.. just mash the avocado and mix it with cooked pasta.. add some lemon juice, olive oil and pepper. it's really good and healthy. however, the only thing i hate is that avocado doesn't last long.. they ripe so fast and can't store in the fridge for long
  • Cattwalk
    Cattwalk Posts: 8
    Options
    I love Avocados as well as my kids and friends.

1. Sliced on chicken or turkey burgers
    2. In turkey wraps with bacon bits
    3. in lettuce salads, or cobb salad with bacon and hard boiled eggs
    4. Avocado Citrus Salad
    5. On Fish tacos

and of course Guacamole!
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Can't believe I didn't see it before starting the Guacamole one. This --- way better ;)
  • kellie1020
    kellie1020 Posts: 11
    Options
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i throw them in the trash lol
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    eat them... straight up.. cut it in half smoosh it... put it on toast and nom nom nom.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like it just on one of those nopal corn tortillas. Heat up the tortilla (only 20 calories) and spread the avocado, sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt and just enjoy. Love my avocado only tacos.
  • Lainnee
    Lainnee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Save