Someone threatened me

Options

Replies

• TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm not American, so the "get yourself a gun and training" suggestions were a surprise.

I was in the military for 16 years and I know that you should not carry a weapon unless you know what you are doing and what you intend to do with it and fully accept the consequences of your actions should you use it. As it is, drawing a gun on someone will certainly "inflame" the situation and could result in the death of one of you - probably you if you are frightened by guns and the person you are up against is violent. Killing someone is not an easy thing to do at all.

This "sounds" like a one off by someone who reacted very verbally aggressively to what he considered an invasion of his privacy. I would suggest keeping your head down and not taking any photos for a while... and certainly not when he's in the area. For all you know he is on the run or he's a head case (or both). You could get a panic alarm or pepper spray, but bear in mind that this is (currently) a one off and you have no idea what he was thinking nor why when he said those things, so hopefully it will never happen again. If it does, then if you didnt provoke it in any way, then call the police and get advice.

Until then, take precautions, but try and forget it, I'm sure he will have. He was probably drunk and cant even remember it.
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    What state do you live in? If its a pro gun state, GO GET YOUR CONCEALED HANDGUN LISCENSE! :) So sorry to hear that that happend. UGH. Some people. Nothing like having a snub nose 38 in your bra or purse ready to go if needed.

Agreed
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    im scared for u girl i would move somewhere else
    I hate this mentality...I am sorry but this is exactly what is wrong with the world. If it is broke, don't fix it...just get a new one.

I disagree. We only get one life as far as I know. Also, living in fear is horrible. It ruins your sleep as you're listening constantly for that window or door to open or that footstep on the floor. It changes your outlook on everything. I had a neighbor crawling through the shared crawlspace of a duplex I lived in, creeping around over my head on a regular basis. His wife told me he was crazy, and that she was crazy jealous of him (as if I would have wanted him!). I moved out of there as quick as I could.

It doesn't sound like she can afford to move right now, but if she can, I think she should.

It is not the moving part that gets me....every one should move to where they will be happy if and when they can...duh that's life...you always want better for your self. it is the i am scared run away concept that I can't stand. where I live the people in my neighborhood would not stand for a man like that. we gang up on them together....we didn't run away from the ghetto that moved in next door, we banded together to face it head on to take back our neighborhood. just because it was broke, we didn't buy a new one, we fixed it ourselves...maybe that is what op needs to do...along with speaking with another officer...form a block watch.

In Chicago people tried that.. Get the ghetto out and take back the neighborhoods and what happens? More people get shot and the death rate goes up even higher.

Unless OP has some sort of weapon, police force or training, this would not be an option I would suggest.

Why would you put yourself in danger for the sake of standing up for yourself? I know that I personally want to keep myself out of harms way.. not stick myself right in the middle of it!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    on the weapons front, i would get a taser or pepper spray

unless you are prepared to use a larger weapon

Pepper spray is cheap and extremely effective on any size person ;) and some kinds come with dyes in them that will semi permanently dye the attackers face that way they are VERY easily identified.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I hate this mentality...I am sorry but this is exactly what is wrong with the world. If it is broke, don't fix it...just get a new one.

I disagree. We only get one life as far as I know. Also, living in fear is horrible. It ruins your sleep as you're listening constantly for that window or door to open or that footstep on the floor. It changes your outlook on everything. I had a neighbor crawling through the shared crawlspace of a duplex I lived in, creeping around over my head on a regular basis. His wife told me he was crazy, and that she was crazy jealous of him (as if I would have wanted him!). I moved out of there as quick as I could.

It doesn't sound like she can afford to move right now, but if she can, I think she should.

It is not the moving part that gets me....every one should move to where they will be happy if and when they can...duh that's life...you always want better for your self. it is the i am scared run away concept that I can't stand. where I live the people in my neighborhood would not stand for a man like that. we gang up on them together....we didn't run away from the ghetto that moved in next door, we banded together to face it head on to take back our neighborhood. just because it was broke, we didn't buy a new one, we fixed it ourselves...maybe that is what op needs to do...along with speaking with another officer...form a block watch.

In Chicago people tried that.. Get the ghetto out and take back the neighborhoods and what happens? More people get shot and the death rate goes up even higher.

Unless OP has some sort of weapon, police force or training, this would not be an option I would suggest.

Why would you put yourself in danger for the sake of standing up for yourself? I know that I personally want to keep myself out of harms way.. not stick myself right in the middle of it!

A block watch is a GROUP of people that look out for each other....so if the op had others to stand by her that day you dont think a group surrounding her would have made one guy back down?? i am not saying op needs to go running to this guy and confront him...but get a group of people that want to help watch each others backs.

Its like this guy is being a bully....what do we teach our kids about bullies....to find a grown up. ok so op called the cops...they did nothing. so what would you tell your kids next...i would tell them to use the buddy system...to find friends to hang with because a bully is less likely to attack a group.... that's what a block watch is...if the attackers know there is a group of people watching out for on another...well they are less likely to attack that place/person again. there is power in numbers js
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Restraining orders are only there to tell the cops that hey, this guy was not supposed to come near her. I have seen these things work almost zero times. The only thing that these guys understand is staring down the barrel of a 38 or a black belt. Shove his $@#S into is throat.

Restraining orders in the law enforcement field are called evidence for the murder trial. That's pretty much all they're good for. But still worth pursuing so at least there's a paper trail if he threatens her again. It can sometimes help the police do more than just pat her on the back.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't take it seriously, though.
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What state do you live in? If its a pro gun state, GO GET YOUR CONCEALED HANDGUN LISCENSE! :) So sorry to hear that that happend. UGH. Some people. Nothing like having a snub nose 38 in your bra or purse ready to go if needed.

I totally agree ... go to your local PD get the application for concealed carry permit. Go buy a gun, go sign up for classes, and tell yourself daily "I will be no ones victim".

Truth be told cops do not stop crime they only report on it. Dont let the report be about you. Restraining orders stop sane rational people, sounds to me like you are dealing with a lunatic. Please protect yourself, you are the only one who can.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be blunt. How you were treated is bulls&%t! You were threatened, the police should have done more. It makes me wonder if he has a record or is on parole. ANYTIME someone threatens you, call the police. it is the only way to stop it. TKs for letting me rant, I have been assaulted.
  • edie14
    edie14 Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad I live in the UK!
  • KHoiriis
    Options
    cant afford a gun, cant get pepper spray... WASP spray. It will blind the person you spray it at and not only that the range is like 50+ feet. All stores sell it pretty cheap. Carry it in your bag and if he approaches USE IT!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Where do you live that police don't arrest for uttering threats?

Where I live that's a legitimate crime that arrests ARE made for and they do make it to court. Try calling the station (not 911) and see if another officer maybe has a bit more of a brain?
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    was this a stranger or someone that you know?

what's the context of this?

to answer your question i really have no idea what i would have done. i know that i have been in dangerous situations with strange men where i immediately went into FIGHT mode.. i guess how i would react would depend a lot on if he physically touched me... just talking i'd be wary and back away with out taking my eyes off him.. but physically touching me in a threatening manner, i turn into ferocious beast mode at that point and i go for soft gooey area like throats and eyeballs

^^^ This! If this never happened before the guy might have been hyped up on drugs or drunk. It may never happen again, but if I were you I would be a bit more wary. It sucks that you have to be tense in your own neighborhood. I like the idea of a gun, (again, with training) though I collect swords and knives so I usually feel pretty comfortable in my house. However if he actually does have a gun, wouldn't make much of a difference. I wold also call the cops again or your neighborhood watch to see if they can at least keep an eye on this guy.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Coming from a C.J. major (in Law Enforcement)

I am saddened that the police officer who arrived on scene basically did nothing and didn't even take the time to write the report.
    It would be nice to have that documented and on file for you protection:mad:

I say take self defense classes, sad to say but move to a safer neighborhood or get on the police nerves and every time he comes by or threatens you call 911. Sooner or later they will and can arrest him for assault(verbal), and you could go to court and get a restraining order.

I am so sorry about this, and I would take it very seriously to the fullest extinct. Now a days people are crazy and will do just about anything. I am not trying to scare you but just being honest. I pray everything works out for you, and please be extra careful.:yawn:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Forget the CCP.
    You are in California and the cost is absolutly stupid.
    However, you CAN buy a shotgun for home defense.
    Obviously it won't do you any good outside of your homw but, if the dirtbag decides to break in, it will be the last mistake he ever makes.
    Load the first round with birdshot for a gaurenteed hit. The rest are slugs.

You can pickup a used 12 gauge on the cheap.
  • KHoiriis
    Options
    A gun is a bad idea. Unless you have training you are going to miss and maybe get shot. Depending on the state there are lots of options. You can try giving the Guardian Angels a call. http://www.guardianangels.org/chapters.php

He recommended getting a concealed weapons permit...this would require a minimum of an eight hour class (pending which state you're in) in which you are educated on gun safety and tested on your ability to shoot. I'm all about one's right to bear arms....although I will say more states should require background checks on persons taking permit classes/purchasing firearms.

Thank GOD I live in NH. Wet to the PD grabbed the application filled it out, turned it in with my check. Following week had my permit. Took classes on my own and practice when I can. 11 miles from my home a woman was brutally murdered by a bunch of teenage punks. LIVE FREE OR DIE
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what I would do....maybe just pray for him....
    430627_350198035021007_897049214_n.jpg
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

A block watch is a GROUP of people that look out for each other....so if the op had others to stand by her that day you dont think a group surrounding her would have made one guy back down?? i am not saying op needs to go running to this guy and confront him...but get a group of people that want to help watch each others backs.

Its like this guy is being a bully....what do we teach our kids about bullies....to find a grown up. ok so op called the cops...they did nothing. so what would you tell your kids next...i would tell them to use the buddy system...to find friends to hang with because a bully is less likely to attack a group.... that's what a block watch is...if the attackers know there is a group of people watching out for on another...well they are less likely to attack that place/person again. there is power in numbers js

If the guy was truly crazy No.. I don't think he would have would have backed down. Plus what is OP going to do? Call a bunch of people on her cell phone right then and there going Um so I'm standing outside with this crazy guy and I need help and magically everyone will be home and come running? I don't think so. The likely hood of enough people being home when OP needs them, is slim to none.

Neighborhood watches have their place..but in this situation, I don't think it's nearly enough just to have people watching out for her. She needs to know how to protect herself so that if she encounters this man again and she's alone, then she can do something about it.
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    A gun is a bad idea. Unless you have training you are going to miss and maybe get shot. Depending on the state there are lots of options. You can try giving the Guardian Angels a call. http://www.guardianangels.org/chapters.php

He recommended getting a concealed weapons permit...this would require a minimum of an eight hour class (pending which state you're in) in which you are educated on gun safety and tested on your ability to shoot. I'm all about one's right to bear arms....although I will say more states should require background checks on persons taking permit classes/purchasing firearms.

Thank GOD I live in NH. Wet to the PD grabbed the application filled it out, turned it in with my check. Following week had my permit. Took classes on my own and practice when I can. 11 miles from my home a woman was brutally murdered by a bunch of teenage punks. LIVE FREE OR DIE

I'm not sure how I feel about this...I really do feel like there should be some training and testing. I mean, if all you do is go get an application and are granted a permit without any proof of your ability any idiot could just go get a handgun permit. AND I am in no way, shape or form implying you don't know how to handle a handgun (kudos for following up with classes on your own)...just saying that there are some people who could and probably would get their handgun permit just because they can and they think it's cool.
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a photographer and I've had people freak a little when they thought I'd taken their photo (I didn't) but nothing like what you experienced.

PLEASE tell your neighbors!

Consider keeping your dog inside with you instead of leaving him unattended outside.

Yes on taking self-defense classes if possible, the bat//golf club by the door, carrying pepper spray, some very loud whistle, etc... If you have a sliding glass door then cut down a pool cue or broomstick and leave it in the track.

Yes, contact your police department again and see if they're all useless or if it was just those responding officers.

Stay alert ALL the time.

As far as confronting him, well, I'd advise against it. It could inflame him more and he might escalate from threats to acts. I recently read Gavin deBecker's "Gift of Fear" and according to him interacting with the person can take the situation to an even more violent level, or at the very least, buy you further "interactions" with this guy.

deBecker has an interesting section about restraining orders--according to him half the time they work and the other half it incites the offender to even more violent action. It seems like it boils down to what another poster said: Its efficacy depends on the police department. Another factor is whether the person named in the restraining order is reasonable enough to realize it means they need to back off. If it's possible that they're the type who takes anything like that as a challenge to their authority then all it may do is make them think have to go teach you a lesson. How the hell do you know??

Not interacting with him does NOT mean you need to hide.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Call the police again (or go to the station), something should have been done. I am not an officer but I've been working for my local sheriffs office for 12yrs. I would also suggest a restraining order. Yes if he really wants to harm you or someone a piece of paper wont stop him, but he can be charged if he comes anywhere near you or contacts you in any way (text, calling, or in person). If you have to request to speak to a supervisor.