Anyone else feel alone on MFP?

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build up your friends wall. Find people who you like and agree with on the forums and send them friend requests - include a message because a lot of folks automatically decline random anonymous requests. Give it a little time and you'll build up a nice solid friend base, that's where all your support will come from - not the forums.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey there you have to be active with others and write to them so that they recognise you and want to comment on your stuff. Also posting in the boards helps and adding others.

^^^this^^^

It takes time. Add me I'll give you support as long as you give me support
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When all else fails I always have the voices in my head......they will NEVER leave me. Kind of like the MFP friends I keep locked in my basement. Yeah you just THOUGHT that person deactivated.

btw I am looking for new friends!
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    Speak, make friends you communicate well with, find people who'll motivate but also be honest with you - or maybe, motivate BY being honest with you - and most importantly, get rid of those who don't. If you find that someone on your FL is really counterproductive, wave goodbye. If you find that someone on your FL is awesome, friend their friends. lol <3

EDIT: on the "real life" friends, some will be active and many won't. My sister and mother joined, and haven't used the site since, regardless of how I push. You just need to find people who really want to be here, and most of them... are here.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want, I'm in the same boat, just a few friends, mostly in my "real life". Thanks for posting this, good advice from everyone. My main problem is I feel like ~ who am I that anyone would want to hear from?? Guess I need to be a little more extraverted...another something to work on :smile:
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    When all else fails I always have the voices in my head......they will NEVER leave me. Kind of like the MFP friends I keep locked in my basement. Yeah you just THOUGHT that person deactivated.

Abs, I so enjoyed that 5 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours and 47 minutes I spent in your basement. When I finally escaped, I was almost disappointed. I have started being a whole lot less careful lately, and I think its a subconscious efffort to get you to kidnap me again.......That thing you used to do with the braided rope and the axe handle was exquisite.....
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed, is if you want people to pay attention to your posts, you need to comment on theirs also. Are you being supportive to your friends?

This, you want a good friend you gotta be one. Maybe join some groups, find some people in the same weight range with the same goals, and reach out. Just asking for more support, and you might get it ;)
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    For the first half I had no friends, I didn't care about it. I then got to the point where I needed some encouragement and "introduced myself" I got a lot of great friends and I enjoy having them around.

Here is what I suggest, you don't need to do them all but try this:

1. Change your profile picture to one of yourself. It makes you look more human.

2. Introduce yourself on the introduce yourself section and ask what you are looking for. If you don't get a ton of responses then try again in a few days or whatever.

3. Participate on the forums a little. Ignore the arguments and stuff.... I have met some super cool people who have simple just added me cause of something I said in a post and they thought it was funny.

4. Become active with the friends you have and if there is one you like a lot consider adding some of their friends cause they will probably be of the same attitude.

5. Push yourself really hard, people like a motivated friend

6. Be honest with what you are eating and doing, if you are posting crazy calorie burns and stuff like that it just starts to get tiring...

7. Be happy and positive. Weight loss is such a mental battle. People want to hear things that inspire them. Although sometimes just being candid and real can go a long way too.

I have belonged to many sites and this is the first one that I have actually become involved in peoples lives. Which is ironic cause I am very knowledgeable on the other sites...go figure
  • Kimik0123
    Kimik0123 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have felt this too. :/
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Abs, I so enjoyed that 5 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours and 47 minutes I spent in your basement. When I finally escaped, I was almost disappointed. I have started being a whole lot less careful lately, and I think its a subconscious efffort to get you to kidnap me again.......That thing you used to do with the braided rope and the axe handle was exquisite.....

No you left me and took all my twister matts!:angry:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Basically, your friends suck! I’m very supportive of my friends and they are of me.

Beware of "friend collectors" They usually never comment. Engage your friends and they will respond to you as well.
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You can add me! I am on every day and do my best to encourage and respond to all my friends!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ok so i joined MFP to get support and support others in their weight loss/fitness goals. My problem? I hardly ever get any support! I post my workouts, what im eating, when im having a good/bad day...all that jaz. Only one or two people will post back to me ever. I mean i dont want a bunch of people who could care less to be posting back "good job" every time. But a little support would be nice. Down my whole page my posts are the only ones that go without comment. Every other friend is getting their support why not me? :frown:

I honestly feel like i could post i sat on my a** all week and ate nothing but McDonalds and no one would even notice. Very unmotivating. Sorry for complaining, I just wanted to see if anyone else was haiving this issue.
    Do you post to the wall of others?
    You must be the kind of friend you want.
    Go out and discover like-minded people, then begin interaction with them, and you'll get plenty support.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    I feel ya, but very recently I decided to become active, hope it works! :)
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that you're having that experience at MFP. I have great, supportive friends. At first, I was doing this on my own. Then, I received a friend request and jumped in with both feet. I really enjoy it. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I been here about 2 months, and I have met the best group of people on here. They applaud you when you work out, eat right, lose weight. They coach you when needed.

Sounds like you need some new friends.

Sending friend request now.
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Again thanks to everyone who has responded...

i think i do need to be more active in the threads. as far as posting on my friends walls and posts...i do. a lot. THATS why im frustrated and why i started this thread. So i will take some advice and add more friends. But i will delete people who are not motivating or supportive. I dont need a million friends for the sake of having friends i want a good support group and i like to motivate others as well.

if your food journals are empty, i wont add you.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Fr sent.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hey there you have to be active with others and write to them so that they recognise you and want to comment on your stuff. Also posting in the boards helps and adding others.

What she said... I only have 2 people on my friends list that I know in the daylight, and neither is active. But in the last 10 days that I became active again here, I have given and received a ton of support. If you put yourself out there, and keep supporting everyone in a positive way, it will come back to you--- MFP karma :) Of course for me, most of my motivation comes from the support I give to others... I am kinda weird that way. :)
  • BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    add me if you like