How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    $66 for my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) free child watch, classes are all included, access to 2 pools and can visit the other Y's in the area without charge. Plus every friday is "parents night out" and we can leave the kids there from 6pm-10pm and have our own time away from the Y while the kids enjoy their friends, movies, swimming, food, etc.

Most Y's will work with you for financial assistance, as well, if you need it. I didn't think $66 was too bad considering all we get, tho.
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    Planet Fitness. I have the Black Membership which is $20/mo, but I can bring a guest any time. So I bring my wife a lot. But my work pays $20/month if I go (8X a month). So it's usually FREE!!

Planet Fitness has a special rate for black people? And is it more or less than the normal membership?

Seriously, $30-50 is the normal (U.S.) rate for standard gyms. The high end clubs will triple or quadruple that. I had to talk my workout partner out of joining the Equinox they opened up down the street this spring. $150 a month, and they don't have a pool or basketball court. To go the the big Equinox in West LA is $225 per month because of the pool and BBall court. That's crazytime.

I've been a Bally's member for over 15 years now. It'll probably change now they they sold to LA Fitness, but for the past few years I've been paying $100 per year. I've joined other gyms but still kept that membership up just out of principle.

Planet Fitness black card allows the member to bring a guest.

I had Bally's for many years as well. I do believe when I joined it was Fitness Plus or something & Bally's bought them out. For years I paid less than $100. But was a member of LA Fitness and at least one other gym, as well. I always thought high end gyms were a waste. However if you take specialty classes and pay per class they add up.

But in response to your statement in regards to the "Big Equinox in WLA" - it's not $225 for the pool & the basketball court. It's the old Sports Club/LA. You're paying for the location, the best teachers and all the other amenities. It's expensive any way you look @ it. But it's a greater expense if you don't use it. That goes for anything you pay for. So from $10-300 it will add up if it's not used.

As for home gyms - the average person isn't self motivated and the equipment goes unused.
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    Anytime Fitness
    $40/month
    Not worth it. At all

not worth it at all. i pay 34 a month for mine but i have to cause its the best gym in the area

The value is in the amount of use and location.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I pay $19.95 a month plus chills are which is i buy a punch card one punch for each visit each kid I have 3 kids and the card doesn't expire. So it last me about 6 months normally because I go early early in the am or late at night when my SO is home so I don't have to Drag my kids along. I also do $5 Zumba each classes but that adds up quickly and I couldn't afford to go mon-Friday so I Zumba at home with my kids,
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    $35.00 a month at local YMCA with all classes included.
  • eternity365
    eternity365 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm sitting here and crying, as in Lithuania full membership at a gym for an adult costs around 70$ (minimal wage 260$).
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    this is just a personal opinion, but I am a tightwad, introvert, and love the great outdoors.

The only people I see who really need to pay for a gym membership are bodybuilders as its hard to keep mega equipment in any house unless you build for it.

Mother nature provides the ultimate gym for no costs. There are so many exercises online that offer ways to build muscle without going to the gym. Pushups, situps, crunches, squats provide great core fitness.

I understand many people like to be social and buy into the corporate fitness squeal, but I think it would be worth considering the free alternatives. It certainly wouldn't hurt for the older rugrats to get out and exercise with the parents as well.

edited to say: many meetup groups (meetup.com) offer fitness classes for free or very cheap. Churches too. If it's classes you are looking for.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a gym workout at home.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Lucille Roberts for a long time and my monthly fee was almost nothing, something like $8 per month, and if I went twice a week, my health insurance sent me $200 twice a year !!!

Then I was a member of the NYSC and it was $91 per month. It was nothing special and I left after my contract for the year had expired.

I almost joined The Equinox for $169 a month, I guess I would have the costliest gym membership here if I had done that !

Instead, my favorite trainer from Lucille went out on his own and teaches unlimited classes near my apartment for $35 a month, no contract. I joined up and buy Groupon deals for the times he doesn't teach; I have gotten a lot of classes for around $10 each all over NYC; Spin, Jazzercise, striptease, etc.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    $62 a month (actually my husband is paying for it...this was my Christmas gift last year).

Prior to this, I paid $50 a YEAR at Bally's before they were bought out by LA Fitness. I think I'm still getting the same price there, but they closed the location I liked!

To answer your question...a gym membership is totally worth the money, if you use it...and ONLY if you're going to use it! Shop around...summer should be one of the best times to join because generally people are exercising outdoors more, and they're getting fewer new members, so they run better deals.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I bought a pass at the local college by my house. I'm an alumni, so I pay $250/year for my family pass... myself, spouse and children get unlimitted use of the pool, weight room, gym and bowling alley. Lockers and classes are extra. There is no childcare available.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Got a good deal at Costco last year for 24 fitness, paid 200 for 2 years plus 36 a month for kids club (2 kids)
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I pay $30/month for Lifestyle Family Fitness, which was just bought out by LA Fitness. Definitely worth it, in my opinion. I love going to the gym; it really puts me in the right mood to work out. I also like being able to get out of the house for awhile.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. I have the Black Membership which is $20/mo.

This.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    my BF and I $40 a month
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    WOW people get good deals LOL!!

Gym- 60/Month
    Crossfit- 150/Month

= $210/Month
  • Rachelatherbest
    Rachelatherbest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    $51/month. Totally worth it!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    $38.00 Per Month Open 24 Hours!!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    $19.99 A MONTH! I could have joined for $9.99 a month but I wanted the classes and tanning. :happy:
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    For LA Fitness, if you get added onto someone elses plan, you only have to pay $30 a month with no upfront cost (besides paying first and last months). Also, kid care is $10 per child per month. So I pay $40 a month.