The Undeniably best way to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Weeblewobble123
    Options
    I am a 43 year old (yesterday was my birthday) 299 pound woman. I have weighed between 300 and 320 since high school. In November I was in Las Vegas when a distracted young lady rammed into the side of my car going well over 50 mph. Though my passenger was the most severely injured, I did have 4 small bones (not my spine) broken in my back. Now I thought I was pretty sedentary before the back injury... but after over 4 months of painful inactivity that was made much worse by my weight... I committed to getting more healthy. I am consistently eating about 1,000 calories less than I need and go work out at the gym at least 3 times a week. I haven't seen a lot of actual weight loss yet, but I have maintained at 299ish for about 4 weeks now.

I like to see the simplicity that you encourage. It has taken me a very long time to come to the conclusion that losing weight is simple... simple, not easy... and that I do have the power to make the changes to my life. I try to treat my calories like money... I get an 'allowance' each day but if I want to 'buy' something I can't afford, then I need to 'work' to earn enough to get it... my weekly workouts are my 'job' and I can do more to earn more... so far it is working... but its only been 6 weeks since I started.

Any encouragement, prayers, and kind thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but can you further explain macro vs. micro nutrients? I see a lot of people throwing those terms around on here and I am not convinced they know what they mean... (I know I don't)

Macro nutrients are protein, fat, carbohydrates and alcohol. Micronutrients are vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants and everything else you get out of food.
    Couldn't have stated it better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1. Eat in a way that you can do daily (who cares if it's paleo, vegan, moderate, etc.), but ensuring you get in your daily macro/micro nutrients with a sustainable and reasonable calorie deficit.

2. Do some physical activity that you can sustain for life.

3. Be CONSISTENT.

4. Consider paying me lots of money to kick your *kitten* if you can't follow above.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member
    So, eat right, exercise and seek help if required?
    That's it?
    No magic wands, miracle pills, macro revelations, far eastern discoveries, exotic enzymes, divination or hidden roots or berries from the rain forest?
    Just eat right and exercise :sad: :sad: :sad:

I always love what you write, Mr. BobbyClerici (boy, I don't think I spelled that right). Bet you're hard to live with though!
    Bobby is usually a good dose of humor for me on a daily basis. Like having him as a friend.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1. Eat in a way that you can do daily (who cares if it's paleo, vegan, moderate, etc.), but ensuring you get in your daily macro/micro nutrients with a sustainable and reasonable calorie deficit.

3. Be CONSISTENT.

4. Consider paying me lots of money to kick your *kitten* if you can't follow above.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member

OK admit it.....you're really Dr Oz posting under an assumed name.:laugh: :laugh:
    **** if that were true, then I'd be peddling Raspberry Keytones along with my advice.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Health and hormonal issues also need to be resolved.

But yes, the big one for me has always been CONSISTENCY. So MFP has been really helping with that! Yeah.
    True, but I was stating for the general population.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Bingo!
    And the diet book industry just lost zillions LOL!
    But seriously, what the original poster says is true!
    About what kind of diet, what counts is what works for one, with that deficit going. Plus moving one's butt - hard and often.
    And yes, it's a lifestyle change, NOT a "diet" which infers that one will go OFF the diet once one loses the weight, and then one will gain it right back. Plus one doesn't quit working out once one has lost the weight either. But if one learns how to eat and exercise properly in the first place, the weight might come off more slowly, but it has a greater likelihood of staying off. These facts, however, aren't what sell diet books or "diet supplement of the week" type of stuff.
    Which is why "diet" books and the industry make billions. They essentially want you to diet, get some success out of it, regain and buy their **** again! I believe that the average a person has dieted is 7 times to lose weight in their lifetime. I'll have to dig up the statistics on that though since it's just my guess. But if it were true and a person went to say Nutrisystem each time at a pop $300 for a month of food, that's a lot of money being made.

IDEA Fitness member
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

3. Be CONSISTENT.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member

Damn, the secrets out!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It took me YEARS of doing crazy (and I do mean crazy) dieting to figure this out for myself. Anyone ever do low-fat raw vegan? Holy.Mother.of.Zeus talk about a diet that'll make you miserable.

The same things don't work for all. I appear to be incapable of doing a low-carb/paleo style diet. I've tried at least 3 times. But attempts to explain that I can't stick to it are exercises in futility. People will insist that it's the only way to lose weight.

The short and long of it is that a way of eating that makes you miserable is a waste of time in the long run. I walk. I watch my calories. I make an effort to get in 5 veggie and 3 fruit servings every day. That's it.

Thanks for the great post!
    Finding the right recipe for you is what will work and keep you sane and happy at the same time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

3. Be CONSISTENT.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member

5^^ That IS IT! And the Choir said Amen!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Some people have read things into the first post that is not there. That's all I"m going to say. Great post though, OP.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am a 43 year old (yesterday was my birthday) 299 pound woman. I have weighed between 300 and 320 since high school. In November I was in Las Vegas when a distracted young lady rammed into the side of my car going well over 50 mph. Though my passenger was the most severely injured, I did have 4 small bones (not my spine) broken in my back. Now I thought I was pretty sedentary before the back injury... but after over 4 months of painful inactivity that was made much worse by my weight... I committed to getting more healthy. I am consistently eating about 1,000 calories less than I need and go work out at the gym at least 3 times a week. I haven't seen a lot of actual weight loss yet, but I have maintained at 299ish for about 4 weeks now.

I like to see the simplicity that you encourage. It has taken me a very long time to come to the conclusion that losing weight is simple... simple, not easy... and that I do have the power to make the changes to my life. I try to treat my calories like money... I get an 'allowance' each day but if I want to 'buy' something I can't afford, then I need to 'work' to earn enough to get it... my weekly workouts are my 'job' and I can do more to earn more... so far it is working... but its only been 6 weeks since I started.

Any encouragement, prayers, and kind thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks. :smile:
    Today I worked out two "obese" clients (husband and wife) on a conditioning session. My "300" program which is 10 exercises of 30 reps each. The last of the exercises it to climb up and down 22 steps 30 times total with weights in their hands. This usually takes 20 minutes because they are lugging an extra 20lbs to 40lbs while doing it.
    At the end the wife stated "I wouldn't have done that on my own". I replied back "But you just proved that you can actually do it now, so there's no excuse anymore." And I think that that what it boils down to many times. There are many out there that DON'T think they can get it done and that's why they quit. So far these 2 have lost a total of 39lbs with me since 2.5 months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing their final results.
    Good luck and keep plugging away.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of the MFP forums: *Deep Breath* I COMPLETELY DISAGREE! EVERYTHING MUST BE OVER-THOUGHT, AND TRAINING MUST BE PRECISELY WHAT I'LL TELL YOU... for the low, low price of $19.95! Just visit my website: www.linasoverlycomplicatedsuperstrengthandfatlossplan.com. You, too, can rupture an aneurysm in your brain from thinking too hard about what you do in the gym and in front of your fridge!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In the spirit of the MFP forums: *Deep Breath* I COMPLETELY DISAGREE! EVERYTHING MUST BE OVER-THOUGHT, AND TRAINING MUST BE PRECISELY WHAT I'LL TELL YOU... for the low, low price of $19.95! Just visit my website: www.linasoverlycomplicatedsuperstrengthandfatlossplan.com. You, too, can rupture an aneurysm in your brain for thinking too hard about what you do in the gym and in front of your fridge!
    LMAO! This is needed in every thread.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

3. Be CONSISTENT.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member

LOL @ number 4..

Anyway great post. Such as many people know that the way to weight loss is really simple but a lot hate the fact that it requires hard work & discipline and simply want the easy way to lose weight. Weight loss is simple but not easy. If it were that easy then everyone would be slim or muscular.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of the MFP forums: *Deep Breath* I COMPLETELY DISAGREE! EVERYTHING MUST BE OVER-THOUGHT, AND TRAINING MUST BE PRECISELY WHAT I'LL TELL YOU... for the low, low price of $19.95! Just visit my website: www.linasoverlycomplicatedsuperstrengthandfatlossplan.com. You, too, can rupture an aneurysm in your brain from thinking too hard about what you do in the gym and in front of your fridge!

Consider yourself reported. No advertising on the forums.

(JK!)
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    you should provide a link for people to click on that will cost them $29.95 to learn your "secret formula for weight loss", you'll be a billionaire :bigsmile:

^^ so true
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options

3. Be CONSISTENT.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member
    Awesome. Except for #4; however that does provide some good motivation!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yep, Thanks for the smile this morning :)
    I think deep down we all know this, we just don't want to admit it
    Eyes wide open folks and lets just do it
  • ninerbuff
    Options

3. Be CONSISTENT.

THE END

IDEA Fitness member
    Awesome. Except for #4; however that does provide some good motivation!
    Number 4 is why I have clients.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yep, Thanks for the smile this morning :)
    I think deep down we all know this, we just don't want to admit it
    Eyes wide open folks and lets just do it
    Occam's Razor..............................a good rule to follow.

IDEA Fitness member