Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    diet19.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I did this this week and guess what? Lost my "Cruise" weight I gained from last week. It still works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Weeblewobble123
    Options
    I am a 43 year old (yesterday was my birthday) 299 pound woman. I have weighed between 300 and 320 since high school. In November I was in Las Vegas when a distracted young lady rammed into the side of my car going well over 50 mph. Though my passenger was the most severely injured, I did have 4 small bones (not my spine) broken in my back. Now I thought I was pretty sedentary before the back injury... but after over 4 months of painful inactivity that was made much worse by my weight... I committed to getting more healthy. I am consistently eating about 1,000 calories less than I need and go work out at the gym at least 3 times a week. I haven't seen a lot of actual weight loss yet, but I have maintained at 299ish for about 4 weeks now.

I like to see the simplicity that you encourage. It has taken me a very long time to come to the conclusion that losing weight is simple... simple, not easy... and that I do have the power to make the changes to my life. I try to treat my calories like money... I get an 'allowance' each day but if I want to 'buy' something I can't afford, then I need to 'work' to earn enough to get it... my weekly workouts are my 'job' and I can do more to earn more... so far it is working... but its only been 6 weeks since I started.

Any encouragement, prayers, and kind thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks. :smile:
    Today I worked out two "obese" clients (husband and wife) on a conditioning session. My "300" program which is 10 exercises of 30 reps each. The last of the exercises it to climb up and down 22 steps 30 times total with weights in their hands. This usually takes 20 minutes because they are lugging an extra 20lbs to 40lbs while doing it.
    At the end the wife stated "I wouldn't have done that on my own". I replied back "But you just proved that you can actually do it now, so there's no excuse anymore." And I think that that what it boils down to many times. There are many out there that DON'T think they can get it done and that's why they quit. So far these 2 have lost a total of 39lbs with me since 2.5 months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing their final results.
    Good luck and keep plugging away.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for the encouragement way back then... Although I have a very very efficient metabolism and am physically disabled so working out is always difficult for me... I have kept up the commitment and have now lost 17lbs in 16 weeks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    shameless bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    shameless bump

Hey man! Good to see you. I was just thinking about you the other day. You been on the dl for a while!!
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Best post I have seen in a long time! Thank you!
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I admit, the cynic in me was afraid that this was going to say something like "All food makes you fat, so don't eat!"
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great post and SO TRUE.

It really is simple but not easy. Once my coworkers began noticing my weight loss, lots of them have gotten inspired to try. Unfortunately, eyes glaze over when they ask my 'secret' (I say, "I keep a food diary to stay within my calorie goals and I exercise. The end.").

Several are heading down the Dr. Oz road (the many, many Dr. Oz roads), several are on diet pills, one did the Special K diet, stuck with it 2.5 days and said 'screw it, I quit, I LIKE BEING FAT,' a couple are, I think, starving themselves. Sigh. It was awesome when 2 people just this week told me they joined MFP! Yay!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great post and SO TRUE.

It really is simple but not easy. Once my coworkers began noticing my weight loss, lots of them have gotten inspired to try. Unfortunately, eyes glaze over when they ask my 'secret' (I say, "I keep a food diary to stay within my calorie goals and I exercise. The end.").

Several are heading down the Dr. Oz road (the many, many Dr. Oz roads), several are on diet pills, one did the Special K diet, stuck with it 2.5 days and said 'screw it, I quit, I LIKE BEING FAT,' a couple are, I think, starving themselves. Sigh. It was awesome when 2 people just this week told me they joined MFP! Yay!
    Head down the Oz road and you'll eventually run into a flying monkey! Lol, there really isn't any secret, but so many want to believe that it can be done quickly and without effort or consistency.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I smell self-promotion...
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Also a BIG one that my dietitian finally drilled into my head yesterday (am losing for the FOURTH time)

Do NOT over exercise. For some people (ie me) it may make you ravenous, and therefore counterproductive. Better to really push yourself 3 days a week, with lighter stuff a few other days, than kill yourself 6 days!

4 years in the fitness world and I'm still learning!! haha
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    With over 11,000 posts and counting? I'm here for the members giving out FREE information. How is that self promotion?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also a BIG one that my dietitian finally drilled into my head yesterday (am losing for the FOURTH time)

Do NOT over exercise. For some people (ie me) it may make you ravenous, and therefore counterproductive. Better to really push yourself 3 days a week, with lighter stuff a few other days, than kill yourself 6 days!

4 years in the fitness world and I'm still learning!! haha
    This also is important. I instruct my clients to "STIMULATE, not ANNIHILATE". You can be intense, but it should be over only a short period of time and not 2 or more hours.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I get your smeller checked. Niner has done more to help others here just because her can, than almost anyone else I know. And not just with knowledgeable posts but answering tons of PMs. Never once saw him promote himself. Great guy and very helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump again
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    you should provide a link for people to click on that will cost them $29.95 to learn your "secret formula for weight loss", you'll be a billionaire :bigsmile:
    Believe it or not I'm not in this for the money. That's what usually gets "great" instructors to become supplement and product endorsers. I'd rather get my satisfaction from watching people succeed in reaching their physique goals.

IDEA Fitness member

Sold. Where do I sign up? :tongue:
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Wonderful info...and so true. (sigh)
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    So, eat right, exercise and seek help if required?
    That's it?
    No magic wands, miracle pills, macro revelations, far eastern discoveries, exotic enzymes, divination or hidden roots or berries from the rain forest?
    Just eat right and exercise :sad: :sad: :sad:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was at my local grocery store buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Biscuit, the Wonder Dog and was in the checkout line when woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had, an elephant?

So since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog,

I was starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry.

The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again.

(I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me.

I told her no, I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's *kitten* and a car hit us both.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

That grocery store won't let me shop there anymore.