Petite girls r u struggling w last 10 pounds??? 5'1" - 5'3"

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    How exactly do you know what the last 10 are? Is it just some arbitrary number you make up? I lost my last ten almost by accident, and now need to gain 2 and maintain....
  • queen_ella
    Options
    Im at 5', started at 118.4lbs (my heaviest ever). Down to 111.5 lbs after a month of going to the gym and eating healthy. Been working out (mainly cardio and a bit of lifting) 6 days a week for the past 4 weeks. Im looking at 100 as my target but my body refuses to cooperate! Been around 111-113 for the past week. I want to do something about it before i get demotivated!
  • jenniferb_00
    Options
    Very difficult indeed. Im 5'3 and down to 117. My goal is 113. But its becoming quite the process. This is the only thing i hate about being short.
  • Kecohlmia
    Options
    I am in a similar situation! I am 5.3 and weigh in right at 122 right now and have been trying to get to my goal of 115 for about ohh... 7 years! Lol I have a thyroid problem and also have a 1 1/2 year old that has strayed me from my goal! Im just looking to lose the last few pounds and tone up :)
  • TigerPancake
    Options
    im 5.0 tall and i weigh 130 and im 11 so girl youre doing great i feel fat but i bet you feel great ugo girl
  • bethiez10
    bethiez10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 weeks to see a big move on the scale! Just be patient. I started eating more protein and having one meal a day that was just lean meat and protein and that may of helped to. Moderate exercise or pilates 5 days a week usually. one or two cheat meals a week. I'm 22, 5'2'' and 115.9 from 119.
  • nimisha9
    Options
    Hi everyone..I'm new here. I'm 26, 5'-2" and weight 134 pounds (down from 149 pounds in 3 months). I gained almost 20 pounds last year after I got married and finally in July I decided to get back in shape. I lost 15 pounds with the help of trying to follow a modified version of vegetarian atkins diet...basically cutting out carbs like all breads, cakes etc and absolutely all rice and starting weight training and interval training 4-5 times a week. However the past month I have been stuck on 134..fluctuating between 133 and 135 and it sucks! I dono what I'm doing wrong.!! Actually - I think i eat too much dark chocolate......so all my hard work goes to waste :( Do any of you guys who have lost weight also eat dark chocolate or is it totally sabotaging my weight loss??
  • PuffyWuzHere
    Options
    Im having the same problem :( Im 4'10 and I really want to lose about 10 pounds, 20 would be great haha
    I weight 120 pounds and have been stuck at that number for years :(
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    Im dying! Im 5'3" 130 with a goal of 115. I was losing weight at a steady constant pace since July, and hit a plateau for the last 3, soon to be 4 weeks. The last 15 is killing me!
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im only JUST 5ft 1" and weigh 93 pounds and i feel like because of my height even at a low weight i really dont look that slim! i would suggest changing up your routine at the gym and trying out intermittent fasting or carb/ calorie cycling and see what works for you. sleep and water intake, as well as stress can also effect your weight, health is a big picture, not just exercise and food :)
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    5'1" and 113 ... Goal weight is 108-110 and I've never been able to get there! Grrr!!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" & weigh 139lbs. Wanting to lose about 10 more pounds. I've lost went from 167 to 140 very easily. But going below 140 has proved very difficult. I'm guessing I need to start watching what I eat more closely & increase my intensity in my workouts.
  • nikkereese
    Options
    Im 5'4" and 150lbs. Structurally, I am very muscular. I wear a size 7 jeans and a size small top. To give an idea what I wear. People guess my weight at 130 but I am 150 and at my smallest, I was 135 in a size 3. That may not match up with other women (as Ive been told) size wise, but I am very muscular, like I said. I was 135-140 when I was 31 and it seem like overnight I gained 10lbs, and I have been eating right and working out and lifting weights as well for a year to combat this 10lbs and I haven't lost a single pound. I dont know what happened and I am very in tune with fitness and I have tried every trick I know to cut weight and not a single pound will budge. My only other thought is that its hormonal. Women start to drop in progesterone in the early 30s and lose it as the years climb. Estrogen and progesterone need to stay in perfect balance and when one or both is out of alignment, the seesaw begins.

"When a woman’s body no longer produces enough progesterone (the hormone needed to equalize estrogen so that, with a healthy diet and exercise, the body’s metabolism will respond and weight loss can occur), she has entered a state of “estrogen dominance”. Estrogen dominance causes an increase in what is called “thyroid binding globulin”. When this globulin, basically a group of proteins, is present, the thyroid gland becomes dysfunctional, meaning we can diet and exercise with a vengeance and still not lose the weight."

"While estrogen and progesterone are the ringleaders, there are other facilitating hormones that may be acting as their cronies – most often, insulin and cortisol.

Many women in their thirties experience never before known food cravings and the target of those is sweets. There is a very significant connection between estrogen and progesterone levels and insulin.

Insulin is the hormone (yes, it’s a hormone) made in the pancreas. This long thin organ is neatly tucked away under the left side of our rib cage and controls blood sugar levels. When insulin is released into our blood stream, the blood sugar level drops instantly. If too much insulin is released, the blood sugar level overshoots and drops too low. This sudden drop in blood sugar may leave us feeling weak, queasy, shaky, sweaty and craving sweets.

Of course, we’re all familiar with the concept of “low blood sugar”, but here is where things start to compound. As the body’s production of progesterone decreases and circulating estrogen becomes dominant, insulin is released more rapidly and more often. So we are both unable to properly metabolize calories and, at the same time, taking more in. The seesaw has begun to spin.

And we’re not even done yet.

Enter cortisol, aka the “stress hormone”, produced in the adrenal glands that sit right above the kidneys. When you are under stress and have high levels of cortisol, your body is physiologically unable to go into a weight loss mode. Elevated cortisol levels make the body believe that there is danger ahead. Your body is programmed to conserve all your fat reserves for impending crisis.

To summarize, even if your progesterone-estrogen seesaw was perfectly level and unbothered by the effects of increased insulin levels, stress-produced cortisol would still be throwing up weight-loss roadblocks at every step of your journey."

So look...its not just about diet, exercise, and water intake....after a certain age, generally the early 30s the hormones are raging a war against you and you're severely outnumbered. It just seems like, for me, it had to be more than just my physical output because I was trying so hard.
    If it is hormones, I dont know what to do. Im not medicating myself, Ill just keep trying and hope for the best
  • bmg1412
    Options
    I'm 5ft3 and have gained 20lbs in the last year, eek! It crept up on me but I know it is because I have been eating far too many cookies. I have been stuck in a cycle of healthy eating and then binging and ruining all my hard work. I didn't think it had made a difference until I suddenly noticed that none of my clothes fit properly, and now it's all I see when I look in the mirror! At my smallest I was 105lbs, my comfortable weight is around 110-115lbs but at the moment I am 136lbs and it doesn't suit me at all!

How long did it take you all to notice a difference? I am hoping to stick to clean eating and start to see a difference by Christmas....
  • namastebody
    namastebody Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have a very bad perception of eating and at 5'1, getting down to 105lbs (which is actually considered healthy for my size), required starvation and an unhealthy obsession with exercise. Past that now and on the road to developing a healthy mind and body, but 1200 cals still seems a lot for me to consider ever getting down to that size again..
    I exercise often and have been eating within that consumption and doing all the things to speed up your metabolism (water, eating breakfast etc) but still staying at 115'+. I want to be healthy and stick to this but its very disencouraging. Need some realistic advice...
  • ItsKelsey94
    ItsKelsey94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3, at my smallest I was 115-120 lbs. Then I took aerobics in high school and used the excuse that I burned enough calories to eat way more than needed. I went up to 137 lbs. Over the past several weeks I've managed to shed 9 lbs by sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet and am currently at 128. My goal weight is 118.... I've faced this plateau for a while.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Can totally relate. I'm 5"3, used to be 113 lbs at the lightest weight. Highest is 139 lbs. I have been hovering around 130 - 135 for the past 2 YEARS. Would really want to go down to 120 lbs.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am way overweight still.. no where near the last ten pounds but I spent all of my teenage years and 20's and a significan't part of my 30's trying to keep the creep at bay. with moderate work at resisting any kind of temptation and being reasonable I could maintain 125 but I wanted to be 115 which basically required starvation. the calorie requirements are just so low when you're shorter..
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    I'm 5'1" & weigh 139lbs. Wanting to lose about 10 more pounds. I've lost went from 167 to 140 very easily. But going below 140 has proved very difficult. I'm guessing I need to start watching what I eat more closely & increase my intensity in my workouts.

UPDATE: I'm now 136lbs. I was stuck at 140-139 for over 4 weeks, then started HIIT training & ate about the same. The weight has finally dropped at a steady pace. I used to work out on the bike, elliptical, or treadmill 20min a day & now I do HIIT 15mins 5X week + yoga 3X week & have seen fantastic results.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    Im 5'4" and 150lbs. Structurally, I am very muscular. I wear a size 7 jeans and a size small top. To give an idea what I wear. People guess my weight at 130 but I am 150 and at my smallest, I was 135 in a size 3. That may not match up with other women (as Ive been told) size wise, but I am very muscular, like I said. I was 135-140 when I was 31 and it seem like overnight I gained 10lbs, and I have been eating right and working out and lifting weights as well for a year to combat this 10lbs and I haven't lost a single pound. I dont know what happened and I am very in tune with fitness and I have tried every trick I know to cut weight and not a single pound will budge. My only other thought is that its hormonal. Women start to drop in progesterone in the early 30s and lose it as the years climb. Estrogen and progesterone need to stay in perfect balance and when one or both is out of alignment, the seesaw begins.

"When a woman’s body no longer produces enough progesterone (the hormone needed to equalize estrogen so that, with a healthy diet and exercise, the body’s metabolism will respond and weight loss can occur), she has entered a state of “estrogen dominance”. Estrogen dominance causes an increase in what is called “thyroid binding globulin”. When this globulin, basically a group of proteins, is present, the thyroid gland becomes dysfunctional, meaning we can diet and exercise with a vengeance and still not lose the weight."

"While estrogen and progesterone are the ringleaders, there are other facilitating hormones that may be acting as their cronies – most often, insulin and cortisol.

Many women in their thirties experience never before known food cravings and the target of those is sweets. There is a very significant connection between estrogen and progesterone levels and insulin.

Insulin is the hormone (yes, it’s a hormone) made in the pancreas. This long thin organ is neatly tucked away under the left side of our rib cage and controls blood sugar levels. When insulin is released into our blood stream, the blood sugar level drops instantly. If too much insulin is released, the blood sugar level overshoots and drops too low. This sudden drop in blood sugar may leave us feeling weak, queasy, shaky, sweaty and craving sweets.

Of course, we’re all familiar with the concept of “low blood sugar”, but here is where things start to compound. As the body’s production of progesterone decreases and circulating estrogen becomes dominant, insulin is released more rapidly and more often. So we are both unable to properly metabolize calories and, at the same time, taking more in. The seesaw has begun to spin.

And we’re not even done yet.

Enter cortisol, aka the “stress hormone”, produced in the adrenal glands that sit right above the kidneys. When you are under stress and have high levels of cortisol, your body is physiologically unable to go into a weight loss mode. Elevated cortisol levels make the body believe that there is danger ahead. Your body is programmed to conserve all your fat reserves for impending crisis.

To summarize, even if your progesterone-estrogen seesaw was perfectly level and unbothered by the effects of increased insulin levels, stress-produced cortisol would still be throwing up weight-loss roadblocks at every step of your journey."

So look...its not just about diet, exercise, and water intake....after a certain age, generally the early 30s the hormones are raging a war against you and you're severely outnumbered. It just seems like, for me, it had to be more than just my physical output because I was trying so hard.
    If it is hormones, I dont know what to do. Im not medicating myself, Ill just keep trying and hope for the best

So true! Last year, I got the Nexplanon progesterone only birth control Aug 2012 & went from 145 to 167lb, then started dieting in July 2013 & got down to 140lbs. Got the Nexplanon removed in October & hovered 140-139lbs for almost 5 weeks before finally losing again last week. It took over a month for my body to somewhat adjust hormonally & I'm still struggling!