Petite girls r u struggling w last 10 pounds??? 5'1" - 5'3"

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I almost gave up. I ended up losing 60 lbs and reached my goal. Now I'm not telling anyone what to do but this is what worked for me and I do believe that it is more difficult for us shorties because the "eat more, eat 1200 calories" does not necessarily apply to us. For example my lean body mass is only 104 lbs, and that is a lot of muscle because I've been lifting for 30 years. RMR for me (with all the muscle) is only 1380. That means 1200 is only a slight deficit and when I had a lot of fat I could eat much lower (and did!).

So I have a feeling the "eat more to lose" might work for bigger and taller people, but not necessarily short females like us.

I won't tell anyone what to do, and you have to experiment with what works for YOU, but I can say eating less worked for me,
    way less, my story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

And I found the following quote quite helpful
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (Venus Index Workout Manual)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the scale now except once a month. I think you need to ask yourself why you need a number to make you feel ok with yourself? Let your body guide you. I have had similar issues and finally decided to take the scale out once a month just to make sure I am not gaining but my clothes are also showing me the story. The scale number is just a guide and not a very accurate one at that. My advice is to stop letting a number define you. Getting fit should be your goal not concentrating on a number on the scale. If you have muscles, energy and are looking great and feeling good, what does a number prove anyway?!? It has taken a long time for me to get to this point in my life and I am definitely the healthiest I have ever been. So put the scale away and concentrate on how you feel within your body. It only represents your relationship to gravity after all.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the scale now except once a month. I think you need to ask yourself why you need a number to make you feel ok with yourself? Let your body guide you.

The scale provides objective feedback. If people's bodies guided them accurately they'd never become overweight.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this post! Also struggling to lose the last 10-15. Got down to 123 in Aug, back to 127 now... I think my body is preparing for winter hibernation or something :sad:
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached "the final 10lbs" but I'm sure it's difficult!
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you ladies! 5ft2in and 129 lbs. My goal is 118. and I don't have months to lose these last ten pounds, I gotta get this thing done.

Feel free to add me, would love some encouragment from my shorter friends. :wink:
  • Melanief35
    Options
    Man, I feel a lot better reading all these post! I am just under 5'3" and my weight has been fluctuating between 125-127. I really would like to lose 10lbs. But I feel like when I workout I just gain weight or stay the same. I am currently doing Ripped In 30 about 5 days a week. Should I reduce my exercise? And how did you eliminate grains from your diet? I am such a bread lover!!

Feel free to add me! I need some positive encouragement from people in the same boat :smile:
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    5'4 and cannot seem to lose the last few.....ugh
  • n8smamma
    n8smamma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • emu217
    Options
    How is everyone doing? I have not made much progress from 123 - I am actually probably about 125 after Thanksgiving. I have not been eating nearly as well as I should have been, though, and I know that. It's my own fault! I am determined to lose 8 pounds by Christmas Eve though (the next time I plan to step on the scale!), and I've had a good day today...29 more days to go!!
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I hit my low of 123 over the summer and then climbed back up to 128-130... recently got down to the 124-126 range... it's such a slow arduous process!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i've been up and down, can't seem to go under 120 for the life of me. i bounce between 120-124. I am starting a new exercise program " slim in 6" next week, so i hope that helps kick start my loss again or just gets that last inch off me and makes me look a bit more tight.
  • CatLadyyy
    Options
    5'2 .. 110-111lbs and trying to get down to 105 but its so hard!!
  • blasiansrus
    Options
    5'2" & stuck at ~115, trying to get back to where I was this time last year (102-105lbs)
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump - to read later on today :)
  • melissasue79
    melissasue79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 1/2 (yes I'm adding that 1/2) and for the life of me, can't seem to stay below 120 lbs. Last April I got down to 114 and it didn't last very long. I want to live my life, eat healthy, but still enjoy myself. I'd be happy at 115/116 if I could just stay there! I see so many people get super low and then stay there.....don't know how they do it! I work out 6 days per week and will be 41 yrs old at the end of the month......maybe it's my age?
  • spokes744
    spokes744 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not in your boat.
    Male, 6'1" 30 lbs to lose. I just wanted to say that the Bacon Taco pic is one of the sexiest pic I've seen.
    Thanks for the idea. :noway:
  • KristaHuyer
    Options
    I relate to all of you as well! Skinny fat has been my term for myself for quite some time now. I also have some health issues going on too so that is not happening my case with loosing weight. I am doing the turbofire program which is really intense and hoping to see results!
    Any motivation would be greatly appreciated!