300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options
Has anyone had experience with consuming 300-600 calories per day? I am seriously considering at least trying this while I observe a month long fast (Ramadan). My plan is to consume a 295 calorie Shakeology before dawn and consume another 295 calorie Shakeology after dusk. I believe I will exceed the daily required vitamin/nutrients. In addition, I take 3000IUs of Vitamin D daily.

I'd like to know if anyone has been on this type of calorie intake before and if so, what experiences did you have (other than weight loss)?

Thanks!

EDITED BY MFP STAFF: For those users who have similar concerns/questions we recommend seeking out groups specific to your needs. For example, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6555-fasting-ramadan-eating-right

Thanks for everyone's understanding and cooperation.

Replies

• Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    is this serious??
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    :frown: doesn't sound so safe to me...
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i would not advise this. i understand about ramadan but you are going to be pretty weak. i would suggest 1200 at the lowest.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    is this serious??

I have no experience here, but I'm sure the OP is serious. Ramadan is a month long fast practiced by Muslims.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    :facedesk:

Ramadan or not, 600 calories a day is not safe for anyone over the age of 2.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So, where's your protein and fat intake?
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    dizziness, weakness, mood swings, bloating, low resting heart rate, eczema (seriously), hair falling out

i dont really think this is a path you want to take. yes it takes the weight off but it isnt super worth it
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting such bad responses from everyone. This for her religious believes, guys.

The only thing I've heard about such an experience is that your breath gets awful. Awful, awful, awful.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    why not just eat normal meals at night?

fasting is fine, i love it.. but you need to eat at some point.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    is this serious??

Did you not read she was doing it for a fast? It's for religious purposes. Lets try to not be so rude.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you are observing Ramadan (Forgive my ignorance, I do not know the details) but your ultimate goal is to diet and lose weight, it seems the religious observance is in vain and thus serving no purpose. You're going to mess up your metabolism and lack energy. Any time my Church does any type of fast (usually a day long fast for a specific cause) they will issue fasting material to read over and always suggest if you have any questions, to consult your doctor before doing it. And this is for ONE day, not an entire month.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I think you want us to tell you you're in danger of becoming anorexic and that it's dangerous, don't do it, it can damage your health.

To be honest, MFP gives you guidance as to how much calories to consume. It's up to you. Do it if you like. Or don't. Whichever you want.
  • Ristia_Amore
    Ristia_Amore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anything under 1200 calories and your body will begin to shut down. This is seriously not advisable and you will be killing your body. THIN =/= HEALTH.

Yes, I understand this is for religious purposes, but my Muslim friends ALWAYS enjoy their celebratory meal after dusk.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that you'll very quickly find yourself tired and sluggish I understand fasting for religious purposes, but doing it AND cutting your calories? Sounds like a suicide plan to me. You're supposed to "break fast" so that you can nourish your body. And sorry, but eating shakes twice a day and nothing else for a months doesn't sound like a good thing at all.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    You can still eat a normal amount during Ramadan, all that changes is the timings and meal timings is irrelevant to weight loss anyways. Yes I've had experience and it's horrible, my health went horrible, my studies and relationships suffered too. Yes this is not weight loss related that I'm talking about and that's cause these are more important. Also, the weight didn't stay off. I have/am doing it for other reasons (I struggle to eat sometimes) but don't do it if you're just "testing" it out.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would really consider what you're doing to your metabolism by consuming so few calories over Ramadan. If your body becomes accustomed to so few calories, what will happen when you eat a normal meal again? Your body will store all those "excess" calories.
    Happy Ramadan (soon).
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with Ramadan and what it means when "you say Fasting to Observe Ramadam". If you are doing it for religious purposes, then I guess you will just need to deal with the lack of energy, dizziness and headaches consuming such a low amount of calories will bring. Also make sure not strenous activities are done.
    If you are doing this because you just want to lose weight, then I think it is pretty stupid and unhealthy. You will lose weight but then gain it back when you increase your calories. It is not sustainable.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would advise trying to eat some actual food alongside your shakes, particularly fruit n veg if you can. I know the window for the time you're allowed to eat is pretty small but you need to make sure you're giving your body the fuel it needs to get through the day. Good luck xx
  • TracyAnn90
    TracyAnn90 Posts: 20
    Options
    is this serious??

I have no experience here, but I'm sure the OP is serious. Ramadan is a month long fast practiced by Muslims.

it doesn't mean you are suppose to starve yourself. It means that you are not suppose to eat from dawn until dusk. After dusk, anything is fair game.
This discussion has been closed.