300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that is too little to be taking in for the entire month. I'm not sure where you are now with your daily intake, but I'd try to get in the 1200 range if possible.

Yeah, the primary thing here is that meal frequency really does not matter and she doesn't need to be going to that low of a calorie level in her feeding window.

Hell consuming my entire day's calories in only 6-8 hours is something I look forward to every day like the horrid fat kid I am.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Off topic but I'm floored at the number of people who don't know what Ramadan is. :noway:

X2
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Sooo... you're asking for support in your unhealthy, potentially dangerous low cal diet? Sorry. Bad Idea.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that is too little to be taking in for the entire month. I'm not sure where you are now with your daily intake, but I'd try to get in the 1200 range if possible.

Yeah, the primary thing here is that meal frequency really does not matter and she doesn't need to be going to that low of a calorie level in her feeding window.

Hell consuming my entire day's calories in only 6-8 hours is something I look forward to every day like the horrid fat kid I am.

Exactly! When the meals are consumed is irrelevant. Just make sure to get the appropriate number of calories and try to hit macros.

I get excited when I plan my day so that I can eat a 1000 calorie meal.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There is an NFL player who did this during football camp. He was def watch closely since he exerts his body more then the normal person.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ramadan-means-no-water-during-workouts-for-Husai?urn=nfl,261068
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you are too harsh, however, I find your responses with an undertone of superiority based upon assumptions. Don’t you think it would be better to discard assumptions, make attempts to do periodic paradigm shifts and try and see where people are coming from and in the end to be a kinder soul and teach instead of belittle and admonish ignorance with superiority, how does one be the best person they can be everyday if they are busy pushing others down? Saying it like it is with respect earns you respect otherwise you come off as an unkind and smug person, is that the sort of person you would like to portray yourself as?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There is an NFL player who did this during football camp. He was def watch closely since he exerts his body more then the normal person.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ramadan-means-no-water-during-workouts-for-Husai?urn=nfl,261068

Big take away from this article:
    Abdullah's worked with the team's nutritionist on a way to keep himself healthy through Ramadan with a couple of big meals when it's dark, and a protein shake in the middle of the night.

Important to maintain healthy eating during this time.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i eat 800 or under each day and im fine, i eat healthy foods 3 or 4 meals a day. ive lost 6 and half stone plus in 18 months and im ok. my diary is open. i do get sick of people telling me to stuff my face , thats how i got fat.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Eat a substantial meal before and after dusk. There is no need to starve during Ramadan.

This!!!!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Right - another time where we need to get back to basics. The lady isn't asking our opinion of fasting or of her reasons for fasting. Lets leave that alone.

The issue here is the calorie level. Nothing else.

Never, not even when fasting, is a 300-600 claorie level going to be a good idea. I'm not a fan of the magic 1200, but more because I think it is too low than anything else but here it may have a place.

OP - please try and eat at least 1200 a day, please. Why would having to only eat between certyain time affect your bodies caloric requirrements? If anything you may find you are busier during this time and need to eat more.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    i eat 800 or under each day and im fine, i eat healthy foods 3 or 4 meals a day. ive lost 6 and half stone plus in 18 months and im ok. my diary is open. i do get sick of people telling me to stuff my face , thats how i got fat.

and your entire profile screams "Troll"
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ramadan is a lot like intermittent fasting, lol...

Now, I'm not trying to be one of the people who immediately dismisses this as stupid, but, I will tell you why I would never do something like that if you're anywhere near a normal weight.

Your body will always move towards 0 net calories. For example, lets say you're eating 600 calories; lets also say that at your current weight and activity level you burn 1600 cal/day. You would be netting -1000 calories. Your body will lose mass until you're only burning 600 cal/day (0 net cal), which is extremely low. Of course, you probably won't get to the point where you're only burning 600 cal/day. If you net -1000 cal/day for 40 days, that's -40,000 calories which is about 12 pounds of fat. Unfortunately you'll also be losing muscle, so perhaps you end up losing 15-20 lbs in 40 days. Once you lose that weight, if you go back to eating like you used to and your exercise and diet remained unchanged your body will continue to move back up in weight (packing on mostly fat, not muscle if you don't work out) until you're burning 1600 cal/day again. Which would bring you right back up to your previous weight. That's why people yo-yo diet. And at this point, you've managed to lose a lot of whatever muscle you had and replaced it with fat.

Now, I think there is actually a situation where doing a diet like this for a short time could be semi-helpful, and someone touched upon it earlier in this thread: When you're severely overweight. Fasting like this could help shed a lot of pounds if you're someone who is very overweight. Mainly because it takes a lot of calories to maintain 300+ lbs of body mass. Most people who weigh 300 lbs or more are going to be burning around 2500-3000 calories a day just from living. At that rate, if you restrict caloric intake to 600 you will be losing close to a pound a day. It's not such a bad way to get rid of some of the extra mass which is stopping that person from being able to exercise frequently. However, once the fast is done you have to change your exercise and dietary habits. If you go back to what you were doing before, your body will move back up again until you're netting 0 net calories.

So, if you're significantly overweight fasting can help to kickstart a lifestyle change. However, if you're anywhere nearly a healthy weight then it's mostly a waste of time. You'd be a lot better off if you eat better/exercise.

Number one, most of you say you want to be successful, but you don't want it bad you just kinda want it.
    -Eric Thomas (lol?)

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but you're 64. Your nutritional requirements are going to be vastly different from the OP.
  • strongandhealthy78
    strongandhealthy78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this person, at least this part! Under 1200 calories to me =s a doctor's plan. Please, please contact a doctor as your "diet" will have serious health consequences. :( All the best.
    Yes, I understand this is for religious purposes, but my Muslim friends ALWAYS enjoy their celebratory meal after dusk.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel like this is FAR too little calories to be intaking, as well as consuming only liquids for so long is really not good for you, and you may possibly find it harder to add back in textures afterwards. This kind of calorie intake is also not sustainable, because once you go back to eating "normally," your body will want to go right back to where it was before, and you may lose all the supposed progress you made. I think it is actually very smart to try to use this month as a jump start for weight loss, but I would say try to eat at LEAST 1000-1200 calories, at the times allowed by the fast. There is no reason at all not to enjoy your after sunset meal. And stay hydrated! Very important...
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    I have done a VLC diet, well kind of, where I have only had Vegetable Juice or Fruit Smoothies - usually referred to a Juice Feast.
    But even that was only for 3-5-7 days at a time. It usually done for a cleanse rather than weight loss, but obviously (or not) weight-loss is a by-product of doing one.

I'm not expert, but expect that such an aggressive VLC diet can't be good for your body, especially for an extended time i.e. a whole month.

If you are adamant you are going to do this, please be careful, taking one day at a time.
    Fasting is hard enough and more so during the Summer with the longer days.
    I hope all goes well for you whatever you decide.
    &
    Have a wonderful Ramadan.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting such bad responses from everyone. This for her religious believes [sic], guys.

No, I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with religious beliefs. This is about a dangerously low caloric intake. No one is criticizing Ramadan.

There's nothing in scripture that says you must also deprive yourself of the calories you need to survive. Ramadan is about respecting God, not trying to meet up with Him sooner.

Perhaps she wants to go further than the traditional Ramadan fast calls for?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has disputed whether fasting during Ramadan, or fasting at all is a bad idea. The people who think the OP's plan is a bad idea are mostly doing so because of the exceedingly low calorie levels she has set for herself. Eating 300 - 600 calories a day or a month is simply not a good idea, period.

And before anyone questions what I know about Ramadan, I am from India, have lived with plenty of Muslims, have tons of friends that are observant Muslims, yada, yada.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I didnt read through the entire thread so maybe this has been mentioned

It seems to be your idea of having shakeology is to make sure you're getting enough nutrients while fasting. While this isnt a bad idea I would eat some actual food with the shakeology at breakfast and supper because 600 calories for a month is a dangerous idea even if you are getting tons of nutrients.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

When i got to my goal weight, i went back to eating normal.
    Thank you very much - this is exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I am asking for experience from people who have tried this before, not the ignorant opinions of those who never tried this. I am fasting for religious reasons but for those people who are familiar with this fast, dusk is after 8PM and I really don't want to consume 1200 calories and go to bed a couple of hours later. Again, I am considering this. I don't appreciate being called stupid, especially from people who haven't tried this before.
This discussion has been closed.